The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
For something to be mass market....the masses have got to want one :~).
..and they have to be able to afford it.

A story I like to tell every time this is discussed here, is when a top guy from one of the big brand names was visiting our store, and given that we sell more CF guitar than any other dealer out there, the subject of what sells the guitars is bound to come up. After discussing the guitars for a while, he pointed at one of the Rainsongs on the wall and told me that that same guitar would have to sell for $4000 with their logo on the head stock.

Now I don't know how much thought that company gave CF guitars, but I get the feeling they are not done thinking about it.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
My Emerald X-20 is quite flat on the soundboard...and it sounds great.
I did not mean to imply that one of the three major CF brands had the best approach, just that they are different. We are in the CF stage where wood acoustic guitars were 100 years ago; biscuit resonators, spider resonators, giant acoustics out of Chicago, X braced arch tops, tone bar arch tops, gut strings, metal strings, harp guitars....

Today an acoustic guitar is largely derived from a Martin OM or Dreadnought (which is a mixture of top thickness, bracing, and arching, but all wood). An electric guitar has dual or single coil pickups, bolted or glued neck, trem or not, but it's a formula too.

The CF formula does not yet exist.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
..and they have to be able to afford it.

A story I like to tell every time this is discussed here, is when a top guy from one of the big brand names was visiting our store, and given that we sell more CF guitar than any other dealer out there, the subject of what sells the guitars is bound to come up. After discussing the guitars for a while, he pointed at one of the Rainsongs on the wall and told me that

that same guitar would have to sell for $4000 with their logo on the head stock.

Now I don't know how much thought that company gave CF guitars, but I get the feeling they are not done thinking about it.
Wow !

You heard it from Ted first !

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-17-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Wow !

You heard it from Ted first !
I heard an interview with Bob Taylor where he said that Taylor would never be in the "composite such as carbon fiber" business - Taylor is in the wood guitar business.

Too much "history and tradition" for the Big 3, I would imagine. But any wood manufacturer looking at CF would have to consider that the guitars are made one at a time... hard to get the economy of scale when they aren't making 50 necks at a time.

From my perspective, other than giving Long Jon fodder for "fake news," the carbon fiber manufacturers are taking "the next step" in guitar development: shape and form factor that doesn't have to be like what the wood manufacturers are producing.

Certainly different from: "Hey look - we're using hide glue again!"

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-17-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Jim , I may be a bit of a fake news hound. BUT ,,, NOBODY has EVER said "hide glue" here,,, 'til now.

I actually shuddered ....
Old 09-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim , I may be a bit of a fake news hound. BUT ,,, NOBODY has EVER said "hide glue" here,,, 'til now.

I actually shuddered ....
I was referring to putting the glue where no one would find it.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I was referring to putting the glue where no one would find it.
That still makes me shudder !
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That still makes me shudder !
Sometimes it helps to talk about these things. I am here to help. Let's start with: "So, what'd ya order from Emerald?"

Old 09-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jonf;

I am with you; where are cf electric guitars? Alistair has made a few, but, as yet, we do not have an iconic CF electric. Well, other than the one that Alistair is now making. I'm waiting with bated breath.
Modulus made CF electrics for years, and they were uniformly pretty amazing. And there are the Steinberger initial series as well, which are unorthodox but classic.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:19 AM

Great thread.... I would guess that CF is a disruptive technology for this industry and if you look at Martin.. they have been working with engineered wood (laminates) woods just like the construction industries. I got to believe CF and the work that Joe is doing at BB is on their radar. I would guess wood in the futire will be more decorative like what emerald is doing or reserved only for the high end of the business...and customizations.

Will be fun to watch and see the acquisitions. I am in the software business and once the first acquisition is made by a major player the rest will follow suit quickly.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Re CF electrics....The main "art" in an acoustic is in the body, with the braces, materials, soundboard, etc. Electric guitars have a solid chunk of wood for a body. So the advantage of CF for an electric is no where near that for acoustics. So I would not think CF electric would be an advance in terms of ease of manufacturing.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sometimes it helps to talk about these things. I am here to help. Let's start with: "So, what'd ya order from Emerald?"

Something beginning with "X" .....
Old 09-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Something beginning with "X" .....
Sooo... you're saying it isn't a Chimaera? Now, we're making progress. Let's go with another question: how many frets does it have?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Re CF electrics....The main "art" in an acoustic is in the body, with the braces, materials, soundboard, etc. Electric guitars have a solid chunk of wood for a body. So the advantage of CF for an electric is no where near that for acoustics. So I would not think CF electric would be an advance in terms of ease of manufacturing.
The one place I could see carbon fiber being used on an electric guitar is the neck. Saves weight, resists warping, takes the most advantage of CF's strengths. If someone developed a standard four-bolt Fender-style neck, I think they could move some product.

Otherwise, I could see someone making jazz boxes, semi-hollows (with a wood core), or just putting a CF cap on a solid-body.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
The one place I could see carbon fiber being used on an electric guitar is the neck. Saves weight, resists warping, takes the most advantage of CF's strengths. If someone developed a standard four-bolt Fender-style neck, I think they could move some product.
http://mosesgraphite.com/products/el...ar-bass-necks/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...=moses&index=1

I'm not excited about having to install inserts to bolt it on...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber