The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 PM

Default Emerald Guitars - Talk me into it....

Recent threads got me thinking about Emerald guitars. In the looks department, these things have me sold 100%, but what can you tell me about tone, playability, onboard electronics etc? It looks like they have models with solid wood tops and carbon fiber everything else. If so, could it still stand up to changes in humidity like an all carbon fiber guitar? Do they make fan fret models?I would love to hear from those who own and/or have played them. One fellow AGF'er recently purchased a double neck model that looked simply amazing.

Taylor 814CE
Old 09-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Sanban, if you haven't already, you really should spend a good amount of time in the CF subforum.

Tone: CF guitars tend to have a tone of their own and Emerald is no exception. That said, they do not deviate all that much from what you expect and like in a wood guitar.

Playability: All standard Emerald guitars are very ergonomic and as comfortable as they come with curves in all the right places. In addition, they are the only builder as flexible with customization options as you can get...for a price of course, but quite reasonable in the scheme of things.

Electronics: Emerald no longer offers barn door type electronics. They mostly offer discrete Baggs systems, but will accomodate any electronics you want.

Wood tops: Emerald wood tops are thin veneers that are infused with the carbon fiber and encased in resin/urethane. Humidity and other environmental factors have no effect. Entirely stable and will never change. I own a cocobolo topped Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck and can attest to this.

Fan frets: Emerald will offer any model with a fan fret configuration for a reasonable upcharge.

I don't know if you're referring to me and my Emerald cocobolo topped Chimaera doubleneck, but if so, it is amazing in every respect. I also own an '02 Taylor 814c and I wouldn't say it rivals it or the best of solid wood guitars in terms of tone, but the Emerald tone isn't that far off and is great for a very affordable price. There are some AGFers with Taylors who have expressed that they find the tone of their Emerald at least as good, but more comfortable because of the ergonomics. The Chimaera in particular offers a fun factor that cannot be achieved in any other such guitar, wood or otherwise. A game changer really.

In no way am I affiliated with Emerald...just a very satisfied customer, as are many others.

P.s. I think the pic of the Emerald X20 you included in your post belongs to member Captain Jim. Hopefully he'll see this thread and chime-in. His satisfaction should talk you into buying an Emerald.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-07-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I've got an X20 arriving soon. Fan frets were $450. K&K Pure Mini added $100 (extra prep to smooth under the bridge for gluing).
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I've had an X-7 for a couple months and couldn't be happier. Very playable little guitar... just what I wanted. It's a very slick, easy-to-maneuver fretboard. It has a well-balanced tone... not as bass-heavy as my Cargo.

The customer service was excellent. You can't find them in stores to test drive, but there is a generous return policy. I don't blame them for offering that... I doubt they get many back. Great guitars!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've had an X-7 for a couple months and couldn't be happier. Very playable little guitar... just what I wanted. It's a very slick, easy-to-maneuver fretboard. It has a well-balanced tone... not as bass-heavy as my Cargo.

The customer service was excellent. You can't find them in stores to test drive, but there is a generous return policy. I don't blame them for offering that... I doubt they get many back. Great guitars!
I don't think I have heard of anyone in this forum ever returning an Emerald Guitar.
That said, they will except returns on standard guitars without any custom mods according to their web site. Quite reasonable.

The Returns and Exchange Policy described below only applies to our standard Opus and Artisan models. The policy does not cover instruments which have received any Custom Shop modifications.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm another one waiting (anxiously) for my custom woody to arrive. Everything said previously is true except for the barn door electronics. While not their standard offering, Emerald will put in whatever you want for an upcharge. I decided to go with the K&K for it's simplicity and it's what I put in all my guitars if I have a choice so I'm well aware of it's capabilities.

The best thing about Emerald (besides the looks) is their willingness to work with you and customize the guitar to your needs. I owned an X20 for a while a few years back and I liked it a lot except I didn't like the long scale, neck shape, color or electronics. Fast forward a few years and I now have one on order that will give me exactly what I want including a custom neck shape!

Carbon fiber guitars do have their own tone, just like any other acoustic guitar maker. I would either test drive one if you can find it somewhere or buy a standard Opus model used here on AGF when they pop to make sure you like it. They sound great. And I've got to tell you, it's really quite an incredible feeling to pull a CF guitar off the wall and have be in tune and not worry about the temperature/humidity/bumps, etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40 AM

YES ! Get one !

I recently allowed myself to be talked into parting with my X7 in a trade deal with a good friend.

I have experienced a good deal of seller's remorse ever since and fully intend to get myself another someday soon.

I was thinking of an X20 but I really love the portability of the X7 , sounds great too , very nice intonation everywhere and bell like clarity IMO.

Ps. They've got a great website and are also very good at responding quickly and personally to any queries you may have.
http://emeraldguitars.com/?v=79cba1185463

Last edited by Long Jon; 09-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanban View Post
...It looks like they have models with solid wood tops and carbon fiber everything else. If so, could it still stand up to changes in humidity like an all carbon fiber guitar? ...

I am not aware of any Emeralds with a solid wood top. Rather, the wood on some Artisan series guitars are a very thin veneer incorporated into the structure. As Emerald says on it's website:

"Yes, it has been our experience that the Woody instruments are just as stable as the all carbon guitars. We have customers in the dry desert in Arizona to the humid rain forests in Hawaii and many places in between. So far we have not experienced any compromises in structural integrity.

The Woody series guitars are created by fusing a real wood veneer to the carbon laminate during construction which means the resin impregnates right into the wood fibres, making it one with the rest of the structure."

I have a 2010 X7 and have never had a problem with humidity. I DID damage the veneer through impact, but it fixed right up with some five-minute epoxy!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:13 PM

I have a customized X7 for sea kayaking (can be used as a spare paddle if necessary). I went with a wide nut ~1-7/8" and through-bridge (sans pins) and no electronics. I use medium gauge strings on it.

It's a very ergonomic little guitar with a nice sound.

I think my Blackbird Rider sounds better but it is certainly less ergonomic, sometimes annoyingly so.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone! I am currently drooling on Emerald's website. Acousticado, yes, I was referring to your beautiful double-neck. I didn't realize there was a CF sub-forum, so I'll head over there to ask further questions and gain more knowledge. Cheers and thanks again.
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Sanban,

I moved your thread into the CF section where you might find a lot more of us CF fans. You may as well just give up, talk to Sean and get your name in the hat. The sooner you order, the sooner you get your guitar. .
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM

http://emeraldguitars.com/product-ca...v=7516fd43adaa
Old 09-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

You should know that with this group....looks really don't mean a thing, if the guitar can't sing. It's just icing on the cake.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Emerald Guitars - Talk me into it....

You're certainly in the right place....
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

First of all, I have to compliment your exquisite taste - as Tom said, the photo you posted is of my Select Series (2/17) X20. If you need a bit of nudging, there is this: it sounds and plays as good as it looks!

As others have told you, the Emerald woodies are not a solid wood top - they are a carbon fiber guitar that is adorned with a wood veneer. That veneer will allow you to have the look of an exotic wood (that one is louro preto, btw) with the stability, durability, and delightful sound of carbon fiber.

The first thing you will notice when you pick up an X20 is the ergonomics of it: it has great curves where most wood guitars have sharp edges. The cutaway is a compound curve that allows you access to the upper frets in a sensuous sorta way. And then, that offset sound-hole: it is designed in (just like that wonderful arm-rest bevel) and directs some of the sound to the player, so you get to enjoy the rich sound as much as those sitting out in front (where they also get to see the big smile on your face as you play it). My X20 has the LR Baggs Element VTC pickup - sounds great!

I also have some nice wood guitars, but when we are home, the X20 is the guitar I pick up most often. Some have cried "Blasphemy!" for me saying this, but I prefer the sound, comfort, and playability of the X20 over my Taylor 814ce. And, from my perspective, the 814 is a wonderful guitar.

I said, "When we are home..." in the paragraph above. We have been traveling in our motorhome for the last three months, and in a tough decision, decided to bring my Emerald X7 with us. It is smaller than the X20, more comfortable (for me) to hold, but still has a great sound... bigger than it has a right to. If I had to, the X7 could be my one-and-only guitar. As could the X20 (I'm sure it will get to go along on our next trip out). Truly, these two guitars are my favorites.

The X7 has the B-Band (barndoor) pickup, and it also sounds great. I recently did a jam where the other two guitarists were playing a Telecaster and a Taylor dread - the X7 comfortably held its own (we were plugged in).

Try to talk you into one? Nah, I can only tell you how much I enjoy mine. Contrary to any implication (real or imagined), I am not a shill for Emerald. I pay the price on their website. I am a very satisfied customer; I am not on their payroll, I am not dating Alistair's sister (my wife does not let me date), and for full disclosure: I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

"Why do you say all these nice things, Jim?" Thank you for asking. Both of these guitars have been game-changers for me. After 50+ years of playing guitar, these are something different and forward-thinking. I appreciate the "carbon fiber sound," (really, every manufacturer has their signature sound) but these guitars both showed me that comfort is just as important as the sound and the playability. And, they just sound so good! Then, throw in the striking good looks of the custom wood veneers... I was hooked the moment I saw the image - yeah, the one in your original post. Did I mention your good taste?

Add to that the great customer service from Emerald - no, I have not had any kind of issue with either of these guitars, but during the buying process, they have been great to deal with. Wonderful follow-through and follow up. I like the fact that I am dealing with the people who make the guitars.

I had mentioned on this forum that I lowered the action on my X7 at the first string change. When I bought the X20, it arrived with delightfully low action. Coincidence? I don't think so. They are willing to do custom neck molds, change the scale, change the nut width. I haven't needed that, but it is great to see a small manufacturer who responds to what their customers want. Their communication with their customers is wonderful.

Concerned that they are on another continent? My X7 arrived in south Texas from Ireland in 4 days! It took 13 days for the X20 to arrive in Arizona - the difference because of the the timing when I ordered. Yes, I am aware that some folks who order customs are having to wait 5 months before it is shipped. These guitars are worth the wait... and that is coming from the guy whose photo you will see when you look up "lack of patience."

Should you buy an Emerald? Well, yeah... but not because anyone talked you into it, but so you get to have the "Ah-ha!" experience, too.

Good luck with the decisions.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber