The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Default Questions before starting first build..

So I've had the itch for awhile now and have finally finalized the decision to build my own guitar. I am a huge "do it yourselfer" and love building and woodworking.

So anyway I've decided I want to build a kit for my first go around. I want to build OM style guitar as close to a Martin OM28 or one of the Martin Variations there of. Since I want to get as close as possible to the martin specs, I'm wondering what kind of kit I can get? I also would like to build with a engleman spruce top. I know, not martin specs.. I know places like Lutheirs Mercantile can customize kits and I've been looking there but I was wondering how close the specs and bracing would be to a Martin or just a generic OM to start from.

My other concern is the neck. I would like to start with a pre-carved neck and slotted fretboard. I'm mainly worried about playability. I do a lot of fingerpicking and am used to a taylor like action on my Yamaha. How reasonable is it to expect a low action on the first build.

Just for the record I'm a math teacher so the neck angles and geometry shouldn't be a problem! Just the workmanship

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 08-22-2017, 05:31 AM

I've seen the results of the Stew Mac 000 kit - it's a pretty good starting place. I've built 5 acoustics from scratch now and I would counsel myself not to worry too much about wood choices if I was starting out again.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 AM

Call John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars in Heglin, PA. He acquires materials from many of his kits directly from Martin and also offers a one week course in his shop where he walks you through the process. Otherwise, he does offer advice over at the Kit Guitars Forum in addition to a YouTube channel with many instructional videos.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 AM

How about a Martin kit? https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-sh...um)/c-24/p-294

Can also get mahogany OM kit. They used to go on sale 15 or 20% off, although, I haven't seen sales recently. If you are Martin Owners Club member you get 20% off.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
How about a Martin kit? https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-sh...um)/c-24/p-294

Can also get mahogany OM kit. They used to go on sale 15 or 20% off, although, I haven't seen sales recently. If you are Martin Owners Club member you get 20% off.
Even better, if you ever head on down to Nazareth for the factory tour stop off at the old Factory and pay the Guitar Maker's Connection a visit. They can pretty much hook you up with a serviced kit right there catered to your specifications.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM

Thanks didn't know Martin actually offered their own kits. I am a little concerned by the "kit does is not a replica of actual Martin guitars" making me wonder if this is another "generic" OM. I also may not worry about it on my first build. For future reference anywhere I could just get the plans for a OM28 replica?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
I am a little concerned by the "kit does is not a replica of actual Martin guitars" making me wonder if this is another "generic" OM. I also may not worry about it on my first build. For future reference anywhere I could just get the plans for a OM28 replica?
Not sure what a generic OM is? You can make whatever you want. The kits include Martin components which are mostly rejects (tops, back & sides) due to cosmetic issues, not structural.

It means that the kit may have a style 18 or 28 rosette on the top. They also ship all kits with Richlite fretboards and bridges. I upgrade those items. I go to the GMC and select the kits and upgrade components I want.

You can call and ask if they have OM kits with 28 style components (rosette and binding/purfling) before you purchase.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 PM

I was mainly referring to schematics such as bracing. Anywhere I could find info on that for different Martin models? Or is that the top secret recipe. I was mainly wondering if there is any difference in bracing from say a 000-28 to an OM 28. Or if I wanted the scalloped braced version or not.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 PM

I built a 000 rosewood Martin kit as my first try. The top braces were scalloped. Some of the D kits come with straight (unscalloped) braces. The tops come marked for bracing locations in stock positions.

You can find out what any Martin guitar bracing system is from the Martin web site info, UMGF, or other sources. I built one HD-28 with forward bracing and one with in std position.

Photo is my first build, the 000.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
So I've had the itch for awhile now and have finally finalized the decision to build my own guitar. I am a huge "do it yourselfer" and love building and woodworking.

So anyway I've decided I want to build a kit for my first go around. I want to build OM style guitar as close to a Martin OM28 or one of the Martin Variations there of. Since I want to get as close as possible to the martin specs, I'm wondering what kind of kit I can get? I also would like to build with a engleman spruce top. I know, not martin specs.. I know places like Lutheirs Mercantile can customize kits and I've been looking there but I was wondering how close the specs and bracing would be to a Martin or just a generic OM to start from.

My other concern is the neck. I would like to start with a pre-carved neck and slotted fretboard. I'm mainly worried about playability. I do a lot of fingerpicking and am used to a taylor like action on my Yamaha. How reasonable is it to expect a low action on the first build.

Just for the record I'm a math teacher so the neck angles and geometry shouldn't be a problem! Just the workmanship
"Taylor like action..."

You know that any guitar can be set up with any action - high, mid, low (excepting if the guitar is screwed).

Carve your own neck, I'd suggest. Then you are actually building your own guitar. Otherwise, you are just assembling. Pre-slotted f.board is a good idea.

Good luck. Have fun!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
"Taylor like action..."

You know that any guitar can be set up with any action - high, mid, low (excepting if the guitar is screwed).

Carve your own neck, I'd suggest. Then you are actually building your own guitar. Otherwise, you are just assembling. Pre-slotted f.board is a good idea.

Good luck. Have fun!
+1

I've gone this route on my first two builds. It's been very satisfying and was my favoriate part of the build. If you have a Taylor, get a contour gauge and some masking tape (to protect the Taylor's neck) and copy the outline at the 1st and 10th frets. Serviced fretboards from LMI were a Godsend though. As for setting the action, that's all in the nut and saddle and is the very last step.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:09 PM

I'm big on copying what's already there. If you own one you like, try to copy it. I started copying my 1979 G-70 Gallagher 4 years ago and still haven't got exactly right. I'm on No. 10 now. I would post a pic but don't have a clue how to.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 AM

I think it's worthwhile to have a go at it. There is now a wealth on info available - including an internet forum dedicated to kit guitar building... Several vendors are producing first quality kits at competitive prices - you aren't bound to a Martin kit if you want to explore other options.

Definately use a pre-slotted fretboard. Neck wise - carving your own is not really that hard... If you don't want to carve a neck - there are several reputable vendors who sell pre-carved necks with many standard factory profiles including Taylor's... In addition to your list - I would include a bolt on neck.. It makes the neck set process a whole lot more forgivng vs dovetail..

"Taylor like action" includes a lot more than just the neck profile and a little nut/saddle work... It requires precision fretwork and close attention to the adjustment of the neck set. These are things that can be expensive to fix of they arent right from the beginning.

One caution.... Less than 10% of first time builders who start an acoustic guitar project ever finish it to a playable instrument. Its not the woodwork, building the body, or even carving the neck that presents the issue. It's often the final setup including neck set and fretwork that throws people curve balls.... There is a lot of work that separates an attractive coffee table from a musical instrument....
Old 09-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
I'm big on copying what's already there. If you own one you like, try to copy it. I started copying my 1979 G-70 Gallagher 4 years ago and still haven't got exactly right. I'm on No. 10 now. I would post a pic but don't have a clue how to.
I was reading through this thread and noticed your post about how to post a picture
I had a hard time figuring this out!
if you use a cell phone or Android device theirs a app you can download from Google play store called Acoustic Guitar Fourm
and makes it really easy to post a picture or attachments.

I don't like using the AGF app to read through threads but if I'm posting a picture it makes it really easy!

1992 Gibson Les Paul Classic
1996 Gibson Les Paul Classic
Custom Built Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V
TC Electronics G System
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Martin DIY

TruckJohn says that less than 10% of first time builders get to a playable instrument...I am thinking about giving building a try and have been trying to get a read on how difficult it is to build from a kit. Truck John is the first that I have seen give that bleak an assessment.

What do others think? How difficult is it to get a playable instrument on your first try with a Martin or StewMac beginner's kit? Assume that I am willing for my first effort to be more assembly and building from scratch. I would like to get to a scratch build, but like the idea of starting simple.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
advice, first build, kit