The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM

After hearing folks proclaim that the Cervantes are better than Cordoba, I recently made a trip to Guitar Emporium in Lexington, Mass to kick the tires on their Cervantes in stock.

I tried out 3 of the Cervantes Spruce Crossover ($2,300) Cervantes Milenia Concert Escrito ($2,250) guitars & a Cervantes Fleta Signature ($3,500)

Quite honestly, the small differences between my Cordoba GK Pro & Solista & Cervantes Crossover and Concert model were not that big to my ears. They certainly aren't sufficient for me consider choosing one over my Cordoba.

Now the Fleta Signature model really turned my head with the sound & tone! But I don't play enough classical to justify owning it.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Sure that makes sense.

But my thoughts are (similar to another thread on this topic):

A solid wood guitar in the Taylor 300's or Martin 15's type level will run you about $1500.

A solid wood guitar of comparable quality in a Cordoba is about $800. I can't even find one in the $1500 range.

More generally, when I look at steel string guitars, prices range from $300-$3000 (excluding extremes on either end).

When I look at classicals, they run from $200-$1000.

What gives with that?
Classical guitars and crossovers cost about the same as comparable steel strings, except since nylon is not as popular they are available at better deal prices. My last classical I bought used for $2400, the luthier (Traphagen) gets about $9000 for either a new custom nylon or steel string guitar. Here the economy favors nylon as used expensive guitars are not easy to sell, as a matter of fact, used classical guitars are much harder to sell then used steel string guitars as there is a small market.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:24 PM

I played a cheap Yamaha G-231 II classical guitar for many years and thought it was great. I didn't have a lot of experience with them but I found the tone to be full and balanced. Then I bought an old 1968 Taurus model 56 student guitar and found it to be a clearer sounding but still warm guitar. It also has better sustain and plays better in the upper frets. It cost $350 U.S. (a screaming good deal from Kijiji Winnipeg), about double what the used Yamaha cost me about 30 years ago. I still have the Yamaha as it is still a nice guitar but not as good as the Taurus. Most used Taurus classical guitars are about $1000.

Then I got the bug to try a Concert level guitar and bought my Paulino Bernabe M-50. It beats the Taurus by a mile. Easier to play, fuller tone, better sustain, very responsive and can play louder. I have tried quite a few other classical guitars since and to me it is still the best I have ever played. It cost me $5000 used and it was worth every cent. It will be my last classical guitar, they will have to bury me with it when I go.

So in my experience there is a definite difference in guitars as you pay more in general.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one Fazool. I thought all the classicals from $300 to $600 sounded excellent. I guess my ears aren't going bad after all....

I really should get one besides my $99 Lucero LC-100. It barely sounds better than a Toys-R-Us plastic guitar.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Sure that makes sense.

A solid wood guitar in the Taylor 300's or Martin 15's type level will run you about $1500.
And? ....

A solid wood guitar from Larrivee -03 series will run you $1100-1200. (made in USA)

A solid wood Road Series Martin will cost you $700-800 (Mexico)

A solid wood Guild or Alvarez will cost you less than that (China)

The guitars you are looking at are all made overseas with a commensurate reduction in labor and regulatory costs.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
TLD version: why are classicals so darn inexpensive - are they cheap?

I've been playing some classical songs lately and really considering a nylon string guitar.

I'm itching to try a Taylor crossover (I don;'t want full-on classical) and someone suggested a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion Pro.

So, I've been looking at Cordoba's and classicals in general - just to see how I like the tone and feel, in my own hands.

These guitars are all so inexpensive. In the steel string market, one might look at a $300 and figure "you get what you pay for". In these however, it seems the "mid-to-high end" ones are all well under $800.

Having no knowledge of this, it concerns me a little that I might be buying a crummy guitar for $300 only because I cant find any good ones for more.

I understand to try one and buy what I like. That's not my point. I want to buy the most/best I can afford so I've set myself a modest budget. Even as a modest budget, I can't find anything, so it makes me think the market only values these much lower - is that because they are less good?.

Message sent
Old 09-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
In the steel string market, one might look at a $300 and figure "you get what you pay for". In these however, it seems the "mid-to-high end" ones are all well under $800
This is just not true.

Try Guitar Salon International or Siccas guitars to sample the "mid-to-high" end.

I do agree, however, that its easier to get a very high end nylon (on average) for a bit less coin than a steel-string. There are a load of very talented nylon builders out there that have "name" players and yet who charge reasonably. A Kostal / Sobell / Claxton will cost you far, far more than an Ambidge / Kwakkel / Woodfield.

Also, the crazy upcharge for certain woods in the steel-string world, e.g. BRW, just doesn't apply in the nylon world.

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical