The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Couldn't Resist....

I consider myself an acoustic guitar player and electric guitar is kind of like ESL (Electric as a Second Language). There have been a number of electric guitars that have come to stay but never for long. They've been mostly MIM Strats and Telecasters. I'd pretty much accepted that I'd be an acoustic player, but the problem is that every now and again I like to liven things up. Well, recently the stars came into alignment - I sold two Taylor acoustics, and I happened to look at an ad for the "new" Fender American Professional series which replaced the American Standard Series.

One of the interesting updates that were part of the American Professional series was the addition of natural as a finish choice for the Strats. Did I say that I'm an absolute sucker for a clear finish on Fender Strats and Teles? Just for laughs I let my fingers do the walking to determine if there was a Pro Natural Strat on a website that showed the exact guitar one could purchase. Well, as they say, the rest is history. I'm still not sold on the perceived differences in quality of American vs Mexican Strats but at the risk of sounding totally superficial, that natural straight-grained body and maple fretboard pushed me over the edge. Will try to get some pictures up in the next week but here's a shot of a similar one in the meantime....

If you're like me and didn't know what the American Professional brought to the table, here's a brief blurb from Guitar World. I’ve already mentioned how great the American Professional Strat plays, but what instantly knocked me out is how this model delivered what I would consider the ultimate classic versions of Strat tones. The Strat’s V-Mod pickups have the most appealing character I’ve heard from a Strat since Fender’s first John Mayer model. These are the tones that vintage connoisseurs spend years searching for (namely because once someone finds it they ain’t selling it) while pros go on endless quests for the ideal replacement pickups, yet here they are in a pair of affordable off-the-shelf brand new instruments. This model has rock-solid construction and is shipped with perfect setups so you can take one to a gig the day you bring it home. They even come with Elite molded cases that are comfortably light yet durable enough to protect the guitars from the usual rough and tumble abuse. Perhaps the coolest feature is they come in a wide variety of traditional and unconventional finish colors and styles.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-23-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Major 1975 vibe there - use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 PM

great looking guitar, and, it has the "regular" vs. the noiseless pickups. i like the regular better, but that's me.

if you do setups on your acoustic, you'll find it easier on the electric. tweak it!

what amp you using?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
great looking guitar, and, it has the "regular" vs. the noiseless pickups. i like the regular better, but that's me.

if you do setups on your acoustic, you'll find it easier on the electric. tweak it!

what amp you using?

play music!
For now I'll be using my Fender Passport Mini. I could see a larger Fender amp in the near future....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-24-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:45 PM

I like natural. Congratulations!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I love it! Like you, I have a thing for the natural finishes on a Fender, and that maple board looks sweet...I am more of a Tele man for my style, but I have always said the Stratocaster is probably the most versatile electric axe ever made. I have a Mex Strat and it does anything and everything I need it to do.

You made a great choice. Congrats, and enjoy! I know you will!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Very nice really like the nat finish also. You will definitely have to look into a good tube amp to complement . Maybe somthin' like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-26-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
For now I'll be using my Fender Passport Mini. I could see a larger Fender amp in the near future....
Nice new axe. The Passport Mini is a fun little guy, ain't it?

I have been a tube amp junky for 25 years (blues harp, mostly) but I stongly suggest you look at the Boss Katana 50 when you want something with more hp. I just sold my last tube amp and will be ordering the Katana in the next couple of days.

Princeton and Deluxe Reverbs are the bomb, but they ain't cheap. The Katana will get you 90+% there for a fraction of the cost (IMO).

Congrats on the new Strat.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM

RP, Congrats on the Fender! I have yet to play a Professional series but I've read great things about them.

I believe Fender has removed the 'Made in USA' text and replaced it with 'Made in California' or 'Made in Corona'?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very nice really like the nat finish also. You will definitely have to look into a good tube amp to complement . Maybe somthin' like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

That's a nice one there. It also has two channels. That's a big selling point for me. I'll bet it sounds a little like Heaven.

I would love to have a vintage Twin Reverb. That's one amp I have not owned, and they are awesome.

I was looking at a simple Blues Jr III but it only has one channel. Otherwise I really liked it. I went with the Super Champ X2 because it is a good deal cheaper, and I like the hybrid 2 channel tube/modeling feature. It is interesting. I can run the one channel and add a pedal (i only use one or two pedals) and play gigs with it mic'd to a PA, and when goofing at home I can play with the modeling side at low volumes, or change channels with the foot switch. It is only 15 watts. Loud enough for small gigs, but I usually mic my amp because I prefer smaller and lighter...LOL...and it is a true Fender tube for $379, making it a great value. I've messed around with it quite a bit and really like it.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the kind words and suggestions....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 PM

I played a Hot Rod amp today that was dreamy.... Wish I had 750 bucks to spend on it.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 AM

So they added a natural body now? Smart move. I love it. Their other color choices left me scratching my head. Congrats!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM

Oh man, beautiful! I'm also a sucker for natural finish on nice slab of wood in the Tele or Strat models. The natural finish maple fretboard completes the picture. I much prefer it over the rosewood fretboard on starts and tele models.

Congrats. Wishing you many happy, healthy, musical years together.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks folks.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars