The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimor View Post
Lack of tools and lack of skill. I know my limitations.
No, you don't know your limitations ... you only think you know your limitations.

You don't need a load of fancy nut slotting files to get the action right ... a full set of Stewmac nut slotting files is great to have, but a set of needle files will only set you back about $6.00 and if you take your time you can get the same results.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
No, you don't know your limitations ... you only think you know your limitations.
I suppose you're right. I was just frightened by the prophecies of doom put forward in this recent thread, amongst other places. If I were to do this, I would probably just install a new nut because removing them looks to be fairly easy and it would give me a good fallback position.

Quote:
You don't need a load of fancy nut slotting files to get the action right ... a full set of Stewmac nut slotting files is great to have, but a set of needle files will only set you back about $6.00 and if you take your time you can get the same results.
Do you have any specific file recommendations? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimor View Post
Do you have any specific file recommendations? Thanks!
If you mean for needle files ... I don't have any brand names for sets to recommend ....to be honest, all you need is a razor saw (for initial marking of the nut slots) and one round tapered file, plus patience and common sense.

I am sure there must be loads of stores in China selling needle files ... if you were in the UK I would recommend buying this file
Old 09-19-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
to be honest, all you need is a razor saw (for initial marking of the nut slots) and one round tapered file, plus patience and common sense.

I am sure there must be loads of stores in China selling needle files ... if you were in the UK I would recommend buying this file
Thank you very much. I will just pick up a replacement nut and some files on my next trip to the US.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM

For decades, prior to commercial, gauged nut files, I used what I called a tear drop shaped needle file. Turns out its proper name is a "pippin file". (Learn something new everyday.)

I've found it to be the most useful needle file shape for nut slots. There are a variety of inexpensive sets of needle files that include a pippin file, and I'm still using the same inexpensive set I bought years ago.

LMI sells one, but they can be purchased from a variety of sources:

http://www.lmii.com/products/tools-s...es/pippin-file

Add to that an inexpensive X-Acto knife handle and blade, and you're good to go.

https://www.amazon.ca/Xacto-X75300-P.../dp/B00004Z2U4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair