The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 PM

1) Firsy one you need adjust neck
2) Put capo first fret, and check action height bass E and treble E. Our action for the bass side E string is 3/32” between the top of the 12th fret to bottom of string and Treble side E string is 2/32” between the top of the 12th fret to bottom of string

you can polish saddle to adjust

Last edited by ngockhanh1988; 09-26-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG View Post
FWIW - we employ commercial dehumidification in our warehouse and adjoining store to maintain an RH of 45% and a temperature of 75 degrees.
Great to know Jon.

Actually we had very humid conditions here in MN up until this morning.

Even with our ac going the RH in our house was over 53%.If the guitar sits overnight at a UPS warehouse(who knows if it's climatized?),I think humidity will seep in.

So humidity could have played a role in the OPs observations.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
According to Martin, string height measured from the bottom of the E bass string to the top of the 12th fret should be a minimum of 3/32" (2.38mm), with a maximum of 7/64" (2.78 mm). They say the measurement must be within this range.
Converting fractions to much more usable decimal inches, what Martin is allegedly saying is that the minimum action of the E string at the 12th fret must be .093". I can think off the top of my head of at least five players for whom I have set the action of their Martins way less than that, and who are ecstatic with the results.

.080" at the E string is not uncommon for fingerpickers ...( with .060" at the e string) .

There are no "musts" when it comes to string action.

It goes without saying that immaculate fretwork is an absolute pre-requisite for lower action.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Converting fractions to much more usable decimal inches, what Martin is allegedly saying is that the minimum action of the E string at the 12th fret must be .093". I can think off the top of my head of at least five players for whom I have set the action of their Martins way less than that, and who are ecstatic with the results.

.080" at the E string is not uncommon for fingerpickers ...( with .060" at the e string) .

There are no "musts" when it comes to string action.

It goes without saying that immaculate fretwork is an absolute pre-requisite for lower action.
Yes. Manufacturer's factory spec should not be taken as gospel; these are stock specs and, just as we all wear different shoe sizes so our personal set up preference varies considerably, which is why factory actions are deliberately set high so they can be adjusted to taste. For my taste Martin's factory set up is unacceptably high and uncomfortable, as are most acoustics I have ever owned. If I come across a new guitar set up as I like it it's a rare fluke.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion