The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was terribly saddened and shocked when I learned the news about Gustav this morning. Like many of my colleagues, I got to meet Gustav at the guitar shows and I had the upmost respect for him and his talent.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:51 PM

I did not know Gustov but the words don't exist to explain the shock and sadness of hearing news such as this.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Though I never had the opportunity to know Gustav, this news brings back painfully sad memories from my past. Early in my life, I had a friend, who was like a brother to me. I was shy, and had moved to a new town just days before the new school year had begun. I was at the bus stop, waiting for the school bus to pick me up and carry me to my first day of high school.....scared to death. Wayne was also there, and he walked over and introduced himself. We instantly became friends, and over the course of many, many years, we grew to be like brothers.....I even call his parents Mom and Dad to this day.

From what I have learned in this short time about Gustav, It appears that God had created them both from flitch-matched boards cut from the same tree. Wayne was the most gifted guitarist that I have ever met, had a personality like a candle flame (drawing everyone within its light towards him), and as Gustav, was beyond brilliant. As we grew older, I watched as he became increasingly tormented by the unseen forces inside of his being. I tried to help, tried to reach out as he withdrew into himself.....but ultimately, whatever it was that had hold of him, pulled him under.....and he never returned to the surface. I was heartbroken when his brother-in-law called and told me.....and cried like I have never cried in my life.....because I had lost my brother.

I was asked by his (our) parents to be a pall-bearer, and without a thought said yes. Even with the unbearable grief that I was feeling, I couldn't help but be burdened by the weight of that which they had to be carrying. I wanted to sooth their hearts in some way, so I asked "Mom" if I could present his graveside eulogy. So, here I was, 25+ years beyond that shy boy, scared to death of his first day of high school in a new town, now standing over my deceased brother, yearning to comfort his Mom and Dad as they waited to see their son be lowered into the ground. To this day, I cannot explain what happened next. In my feeble attempt to put it into words, all I can say is that I stepped out of the way and allowed God to use my words to comfort his grief-filled family. I only remember looking up to them, and seeing them smile.....and at that moment I realized that life had come full-circle. Their son had comforted me years before, and though I wasn't able to give him comfort in his struggles with depression, I was able to comfort his parents when he chose to give up the fight.

It's tough to watch someone that you love battle with depression. I've battled it myself, and feel fortunate to be one of the lucky ones who've won the fight. But I also understand how debilitating it can be, and how it can exhaust a person to the point of giving up. I'm sitting here with tears running down my face, reliving the loss of my brother after all these years.....and heart-broken for the friends and loved ones who have to put the pieces back together during the coming years because Gustav's flame burned out long before it should have. I hope that all who love him will learn to find peace, but will still be able to cry about him years from now.....because we will always love them.....forever.
Wood Knot,

I a sorry for you loss as well as it has obviously left a big hole in your life. However, if your words at your brother's gravesite where as touching as these you just shared, I am sure your brother was proud of you and his parents as well. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:23 AM

Red face Very sad

I just saw the news on Facebook today. Utterly shocked! I have commissioned a custom guitar from him and the build was destined to start early this year.

I'm very very sad as I was very hyped this year as my guitar was to start this year. We had many many emails taking about the build and he has thought me so much about the process and intricatcies of the tones of woods and feel and so much more......

Such a talented guy gone so early in his life. Sharleen must be devastated...
I don't know what to say now as I am out of words at the moment.

I just want to send my condolences to his family and friends, especially Sharleen and Jason. A unique and talented guy has left us and gone to heaven....
Old 02-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Humanist

A photo of Gustav and Sharleen.

Thanks to Glenn and all the Mods for making this thread a "sticky" for a while...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wood Knot,

I a sorry for you loss as well as it has obviously left a big hole in your life. However, if your words at your brother's gravesite where as touching as these you just shared, I am sure your brother was proud of you and his parents as well. Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words, TomB'sox.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
The beautiful guitar he built for me carries the inscription "for my friend Vic".
I was at Vic's lovely place yesterday with a pile of friends, and we all played Vic's Fredell.

I'm well known for not being a fan of small guitars, but that guitar is easily the best small guitar I've ever played, and not by a small margin. And it's a SMALL guitar. An 00 looks huge in comparison. If I ever felt like eating my words...

Playing it was just so horribly poignant. To think that there will be no more of these super instruments was just heartbreaking.

It made me, and everyone there, just so very, very sad. What a terrible loss.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 AM

I think about Gustav (and Sharleen) everyday, I am trying to work out some kind of tribute to him with a few others.

Here's some photos of Vic's guitar, I'm assuming he won't mind me posting them as I've posted them on other threads before.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Very sad news. Gustav and I were "table neighbors" at the Montreal festival. Over the course of the show I got to know him a bit and can say he's a fine person and tremendously talented builder.
-C
Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
I think about Gustav (and Sharleen) everyday, I am trying to work out some kind of tribute to him with a few others.

Here's some photos of Vic's guitar, I'm assuming he won't mind me posting them as I've posted them on other threads before.

Vic's guitar is truly amazing - beautiful sound, looks and craftsmanship. Playing it at his place this past weekend reminded me just what a great talent Gustav was.

I remember visiting Trevor to play Gustav's first post-apprentice guitar, and I think I'm quoted as saying how astonished I was at the sound of Modified Dreadnought - style bass emanating from something the size of an OO.

Speaking as a player, a great loss and such a shame there will be no more of these unique guitars.

David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I wanted to take a moment to give each of your an update on the situation with Gustav's funeral arrangements for those that are interested.

I have been in contact with the family, and with his girlfriend and fellow luthier Sharleen on a somewhat regular basis these last couple days. Everyone is getting through this as well as can be expected, and they have been very grateful for the outpouring of support and love for Gustav and his family during this difficult time.

The funeral is scheduled for next Friday, March 13th. Anyone interested in sending flowers can send them to the funeral home below:

Begravningsbyrån Eilert Ahlstrand
Södra Kyrkogatan 10
531 02 Lidköping
Tel. 0510 - 285 80
Fax. 0510 - 682 94
[email protected]

If you feel so inclined, the family has asked that those interested, in lieu of flowers, make a donation to Suicide Zero, a Swedish non-profit working towards helping prevent suicide. Their website is http://suicidezero.se

I will be in Sweden for the funeral, and to help the family and Sharleen in any way that I can. If any of you need anything from me, please do not hesitate to contact me at jason@kostalguitars.

Likewise, I have been in touch with many of the clients/ dealers that had placed deposits on orders. If you, or someone you know, placed a deposit with Gustav, please get in touch with me. I will need verifiable documentation (wire transfer form/ dates/ amounts/ cashed check, etc,) and will present information to the family. They are aware of the situation and will work to refund any money owed. Please send the information to me, so that I can compile it and give it to the family at one time. I will not be addressing any business related things until after the funeral, and it may take some time to get it sorted out, so please be patient. I am doing this as a favor to the family only, and have no real voice in what is done, or how it is done, but am rather just trying to alleviate them of some of the burden right now.

A sincere thank you to Trevor at TAMCO, and some of the others that have reached out and asked what they can do for the family. I will definitely let you know as opportunities become available.

As always, if I can be of any assistance, do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Respectfully,

Jason Kostal
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the update Jason.

I took a look at the Suicide Zero web page but couldn't find a donate button. It maybe there but the site is in Swedish. Do you know if you can donate through the website and if so where to do it?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Trevor,

I do a google search for Suicide Zero instead of going right to the website. This allows me to pull it up in Google, and there is an option for me to have the site translated into English. I don't know if it is the same for Google in the UK. Either way, directly below the main picture is an orange button that says "Stod Suicide Zero" which is "Support Suicide Zero" in english. You can click on that button to make a donation. When you get to the donation page there will be three green boxes. The one on the left is a "self collection", the middle one is an ongoing month donation, and the one on the far right is "Souvenir" which is the one time, lump sum donation. You want the button on the far right, and from there you can fill in the pertinent information. - Jason
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM

It worked up to a point but the form to fill in to dedicate the donation is in Swedish. I have emailed them for a translation and will post what they say.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
It worked up to a point but the form to fill in to dedicate the donation is in Swedish. I have emailed them for a translation and will post what they say.
Trevor

When you Google "Suicide Zero" the first hit offers translation - it worked for me.

Vic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop