The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Default Caldwell Guitars - Memphis & More

I thought I'd post some progress pics of Memphis builds and a few other projects. I'm still a little undecided on what I'm bringing, but at a minimum I'll have 3 guitars and a mandolin.

I'll start the thread with a Carpathian/Flamed Maple 00. It's really a hybrid Martin/Gibson design, sort of a Gibson aesthetic with Martin underpinnings. It's a short scale 13 fret. Thanks for looking and hope to see lots of you in Memphis.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
I thought I'd post some progress pics of Memphis builds and a few other projects. I'm still a little undecided on what I'm bringing, but at a minimum I'll have 3 guitars and a mandolin.

I'll start the thread with a Carpathian/Flamed Maple 00. It's really a hybrid Martin/Gibson design, sort of a Gibson aesthetic with Martin underpinnings. It's a short scale 13 fret. Thanks for looking and hope to see lots of you in Memphis.

Mmmm...gotta love a good set of maple. Do you know which species of maple it is? I love the idea of Gibson aesthetics with Martin bracing...good choice IMHO.

Looking forward to watching this one.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM

OMO,

The top (Picea abies) and the back & sides (Acer pseudoplatanus) both come from the Carpathian mountains in Europe. The flame on this particular set is really nice, but doesn't show as well in the pics. You'll be able to see it once it's finished.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jimmy, looking forward to visiting with you.
Are you driving or flying to Memphis?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I don't suppose that you'll be making any one off 0-28 or 00-28's ? I really loved the look of the 0 that you built for Eric Schoenberg's shop over the summer... I would've loved to play it... looked awesome.
Dan
Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 AM

Wow, that maple looks great! What is the rosette? Is it a colored line?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM

Steve,

We're driving. We could make it in one long day, but will probably go as far as Texarkana and spend the night. We're planning on taking a few days after the show to do a little traveling and take in a few sights. Should be fun.

DB,

I'd love to build another one of those 0-28's I did for for HGF, but not this time around. Lots of other projects going, but...................

Burton,

The rosette is pretty much the standard Gibson WBW (also has ivoroid soundhole binding), it just doesn't show up very well in the pic. BTW the pins fit perfectly.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Waiting to see some more progress shots on this one. As an owner of one of Jimmy's 00s, already know the sound will be explosive....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM

Default More progress

A few more progress shots................

I built this little jig so I could dispense with the outside mold. It holds everything in place while I glue the top on.

Top being clamped in place. Hot Hide Glue.

Traditional dovetail neck joint.

Body is all done and neck blank glued up. It's maple/ebony/maple.

Soundhole detail. Classic Gibson simplicity.

First step on the Nick Lucas MOP inlay.

There's more to come. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Jimmy Caldwell; 02-25-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Default More Progress

It's coming along nicely. The woodworking is pretty much done at this point and time for the finishing to start.

Here's a little better look at the bound soundhole and rosette on the finished box.

Fingerboard complete and glued to the neck.

Neck all carved. I didn't take any shots of the process, but it's pretty standard stuff.

Preliminary neck fitting.

Back shot. The flame is really amazing but won't be apparent until the finish hits it.

Headstock with MOP inlays.

I'm really happy with the aesthetics of this design and it's turned out just as I had imagined it. Can't wait to get it back from my finisher and get it set up. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Jimmy Caldwell; 03-02-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful, Jimmy! Pristine work.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I cannot wait to see this finished.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 PM

Beautiful guitar, really nice work and tastefully done.

Have a question on gluing the top with hide glue. How do you get it all clamped up before it starts to gel?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Hide Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Beautiful guitar, really nice work and tastefully done.

Have a question on gluing the top with hide glue. How do you get it all clamped up before it starts to gel?
Hide glue does require a certain discipline to use effectively, but once you figure it out, it's not that difficult. You'll notice my clamping arrangement, small bar clamps on the end blocks and spool clamps at the perimeter, have some blue tape placed around the edge. I simply heat the surfaces with a hair dryer, clamp the end blocks, then tape the balance of the perimeter, and finally install the spool clamps. All the clamps are preset to the correct dimension so that only a quick squeeze of the bar clamps and a couple of turns on the spool clamps are needed. The critical process is getting the surfaces mated as quickly as possible and that's where the tape comes in. As long as you can keep the air from the HHG, it doesn't gel prematurely and the combination of the slight arch in the top and the resulting downforce help in place by the tape achieves this. Once you've done a few of these, the entire clamping process takes only a minute or so.

HHG has so many advantages that IMO, it's worth the effort to learn how to use it. I don't use it for everything, but for all the critical joinery, it's my go to adhesive.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM

That makes a lot of sense. I am new to building and have been borrowing methods of construction from some of the fine folk here. I liked how Bruce Sexauer does his top and sides with hide glue and I have done a couple of bodies using his method. I found I liked working with the glue but relied on titebond for doing the back. I still need to learn more on using hide glue, baby steps I guess. I can see the tape really helping out. May have to start another guitar just to try it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop