The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM

Default Build Thread: Brondel A2c

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? I hope you'll forgive me as I unwind my story with a little length and romance...

A Return to Making Music

After being really active in this world for quite a while... with more than my fair share of builds and sales... I took nearly two years off from not just ordering custom guitars, but playing them--and any guitar--altogether. Between some sour build experiences and three growing kids, I convinced myself there just wasn't enough time and money and enjoyment to be found to offset the frustrations I'd had.

Then, over the last few months, my 12-year old started making noise about wanting to learn to play the guitar and eventually try out for lab band in high school. He kept with this, and eventually he figured out his dad was the right person to ask. A very exciting trip to Guitar Center later (I know, I know, I hate the place, but he needed to get to pick out his own guitar!), and the sounds of a very plunky Strat now fill the house.

And then what can I do? There's a guitar playing... And before long I was playing again myself. I actually had to borrow a buddy's Collings (O1SB) because I do not own an acoustic guitar!! Well, a retuning to DADGAD, a few hours working on a simple Bensusan piece, and I remembered everything that I loved about the acoustic guitar. My wife talked about how nice it was to hear music in the house.

I was back.

Remembering Excellence

So there's this thing that happens when you've played and owned higher-end, luthier-built guitars... you realize that little annoyances can be removed. Instead of taking the Collings O as it was, I found myself tired of hunching over the little guitar; wanting a tad more room on the fretboard; missing the feel and room a cutaway affords; and so on. The guitar is a cool guitar, and my buddy is thinking about selling it; it'll go fast. Still, I knew I could demand and receive more.

But the point remains: I wanted something custom. It's been long enough, and I'm willing, to plunge into these waters again. I hopped on the AGF, and quickly saw that Juston was selling his Brondel Essential. Perfect! I've heard so many things about Laurent, and his guitars, that I was excited. I've never ordered a guitar from a builder whose work I haven't played, but I got unanimous advice from people I really trust: Mike Joyce at the Luthier's Collection, Mike Desmarais, etc. Laurent's work is clean and sonorous and musical and light, and even better (something I've come to strongly prefer), Laurent is himself a good player.

Second Thoughts

So I pulled the trigger... Kinda. I sent Justin a deposit to hold the Essential while I moved some funds around. But in the interim, I really had time to think. I know the Essential is at a great price... but I also hear that Laurent makes an incredible guitar. He has a fantastic aesthetic. I'd really prefer a rosewood-ish instrument.

And Juston had a build slot in March.

From there, it's a short hop to the present state of affairs. Juston was gracious enough to let me switch to his slot. (Yes, I'm the flake who backed out on his Essential. Somebody go buy that guitar!)

Last night, the deed was done. I paid Juston, he emailed Laurent, and in a few short weeks, my Brondel build will begin.

What's Next?

I don't know. Laurent left last night for a week's vacation. I got a quick email acknowledging I had the slot, and we agreed to talk in 10 days or so... And then this thread will be filled with a lot more than my philosophic wanderings. (Well, mostly.)

Thanks for reading... for me, custom builds (as opposed to just a custom guitar) are at least as much about the journey and what they contribute to the eventual instrument as they are about the final result.

Thanks to my son for telling me music in the house growing up made him want to play the guitar, as he got me back into this wonderful thing. Thanks to my wife for saying she loved hearing music, and saying she'd happily watch me deplete some of our savings to have a beautiful sounding instrument in the house. Thanks to Juston for letting me switch gears and inconvenience him.

And let's thank Laurent ahead of time for the fun ahead.

See you all with specs soon...

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM

Congratulations and welcome back. And apparently back in a big way. From no guitar, to three on order?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

It has been too long since Laurent's work have graced the pages of the AGF Custom Shop. Please post your spec's once you and Laurent figure out a path forward.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
Congratulations and welcome back. And apparently back in a big way. From no guitar, to three on order?
Well, not really. The Kraut is an order from over 3 years ago. Maybe 4 now? It's a rebuild of an OM that had structural issues. If you want to know more, I'm sure you can search the forums and find more than you probably ever want to know.

The rebuild is coming later... Based on what happened, I told Ray to build whatever he wants. It's a Brazilian OM, but (to me) it's basically a spec guitar. If I like it, great! If not, someone will get a great deal on a new Brazilian Kraut. Either way, it's a guitar that's been paid for for years, and not (any longer) really the same as a true custom order like this will be with Laurent.

The Greenfield is another that's been in order for years and years. Mike G is a fantastic guy, although building very differently than Laurent. I'll cross that bridge much later.

So while I hope the Kraut is great, I have no real expectation as to when it will finally show up or what it will sound like. And the Greenfield is off in the distance.

My eyes are firmly on Laurent right now.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congratulations!

It has been too long since Laurent's work have graced the pages of the AGF Custom Shop. Please post your spec's once you and Laurent figure out a path forward.
Count on it. I know I'm at least asking him about Pernambuco and German. We'll see what he suggests, though.

I'll probably try and find something simple with a little subtle flair... The Essential he built for Juston had that for me: wood emphasis with that killer binding. So I hope to turn Laurent lose a little artistically.

We shall see... But I'll let everyone know for sure.

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Count on it. I know I'm at least asking him about Pernambuco and German. We'll see what he suggests, though.
I
I'll probably try and find something simple with a little subtle flair... The Essential he built for Juston had that for me: wood emphasis with that killer binding. So I hope to turn Laurent lose a little artistically.

We shall see... But I'll let everyone know for sure.

-B
I am delighted with my Pernambuco/German guitar from Bruce. It is definitely different from BRW. It has a pure, balanced, resonant sustaining clarity that differs from the euphonic low end growl and high-end sparkle of BRW. I would definitely give it some strong consideration.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 PM

As an owner of a Bruce Sexauer Pernambuco/Italian spruce guitar, and a
Laurent Brondel Madagascar RW/Carpathian spruce A3, I may have an interesting take on all this. Pernambuco is a unique and spectacularly clear sounding tonewood...especially in the hands of someone like Bruce Sexauer..

My Brondel A3 is a beautifully built gorgeous sounding 00 sized guitar..

And to add some more to think about, perhaps the finest sounding and playing guitar I've ever experienced was a Pernambuco/European spruce A2 that Laurent brought to the Woodstock Luthiers show a few years ago.

This is all to say you've chosen your collaborator wisely and be sure to query Laurent about Pernambuco...just sayin'...

And oh yeah..enjoy the ride..!!

LC
Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I see from your signature that you and I have similar taste in guitars Looking forward to seeing your build come together.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back Brett! Can't wait to see this come together

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-16-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I see from your signature that you and I have similar taste in guitars Looking forward to seeing your build come together.
Sorta... heh. To be completely fair, only the Brondel order accurately represents what I'm thinking about actively right now. That's not to say I don't find value in the other two builders (Ray and Mike); it's just to say that right now, I had to go for a single builder and a single guitar, and Laurent is who I chose (Juston's build slot was convenient but wasn't the ultimate factor in deciding who I wanted to build for me).

Ask me again in, say, 6 months, and we can talk more about what I love right now. At this point, I just want to have a great sounding and playing guitar under my hands and fingers!

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-16-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
As an owner of a Bruce Sexauer Pernambuco/Italian spruce guitar, and a
Laurent Brondel Madagascar RW/Carpathian spruce A3, I may have an interesting take on all this. Pernambuco is a unique and spectacularly clear sounding tonewood...especially in the hands of someone like Bruce Sexauer..

My Brondel A3 is a beautifully built gorgeous sounding 00 sized guitar..

And to add some more to think about, perhaps the finest sounding and playing guitar I've ever experienced was a Pernambuco/European spruce A2 that Laurent brought to the Woodstock Luthiers show a few years ago.

This is all to say you've chosen your collaborator wisely and be sure to query Laurent about Pernambuco...just sayin'...

And oh yeah..enjoy the ride..!!

LC
Larry-

I'd love to hear more of what you think about regarding the differences in your Pernambuco Sexauer and your Rosewood Brondel. I'd imagine that description would start with "the biggest difference is between the builders." I don't recall you saying you'd played additional examples of either Bruce's or Laurent's guitars... but if that's wrong, all the better, and I'd love your thoughts.

Pernambuco is certainly part of what I'll be asking Laurent about. I have some good ideas of how we'll start our tonal conversation, but let's see how those play out once he gets back from vacation.

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-19-2015, 08:36 PM

Default Timing is Everything

Timing is Everything

What a wild week it's been.

So I've always been pretty good friends with MikeD here... been to his house and he's a trusted friend on guitar tones, as he's owned and played many of the very best. He's also seen and heard me play, which is great, as he knows my style and what I like.

So anyway, he has been telling me for a week how much he wants a Brondel in Pernambuco and German... Almost wistfully.

Then, today, I got a crazy email from a luthier that I can't yet mention. Suffice it to say, he and I have been talking for, quite literally, years, about doing something together, but it's never worked out.

Now, here I am, about to embark on a build... and this once-in-a-decade opportunity with another luthier shows up... and MikeD is pining for my Brondel slot.

So in a matter of hours this afternoon, it's all been done.

Pending getting his check, MikeD is going to be taking over this build slot and having Laurent build him an amazing Pernambuco and German guitar.

I'm switching gears to fulfill an exciting dream guitar of my own, which should be in my hands this summer. I can't say more until I get permission. Long story, and I hope to tell it soon.

Weird day. But talking with Mike, with my luthier friend, etc, we are all excited about what lies ahead.

I hope to share more soon. I can't wait to see what Laurent does for Mike, and more to come on my own guitar soon.

It'd be boring if these things were completely predictable, right?

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-20-2015, 01:50 PM

An intriguing acquisition narrative you have going here. At this point, I'm waiting to see how the "once-in-a-decade opportunity" is supplanted by a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
An intriguing acquisition narrative you have going here. At this point, I'm waiting to see how the "once-in-a-decade opportunity" is supplanted by a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Ha! Nah I chose my words carefully based on availability and waiting lists :-)

/Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Larry-

I'd love to hear more of what you think about regarding the differences in your Pernambuco Sexauer and your Rosewood Brondel. I'd imagine that description would start with "the biggest difference is between the builders." I don't recall you saying you'd played additional examples of either Bruce's or Laurent's guitars... but if that's wrong, all the better, and I'd love your thoughts.

-B
Larry's involvement with my work precedes his involvement with Laurent, so I tremble at the possibility of being overshadowed in his mind. But I did communicate with Larry a few weeks ago and he is still playing the guitar he got from me, so it can't be too bad! I've possibly had too much coffee. . . That would explain the trembling.

We did a concert together at Schoenberg's shop way back then, and I offered half off admission to anyone who would bring my old work along and let us play those guitars on stage. In all, 18 of my guitars showed up and I played every one of them. I don't know the exact number Larry played but it was a good percentage of them. My daughter video taped the show as I thought many others would be interested in the comparison, but I am no longer sure where the master of that is. Too bad, I'd find it instructive to hear that again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop