The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Really interesting choice to work with wenge, bet itīs gonna look pretty cool!

Itīs gonna be a struggle to get those big B & S pore filled though
Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 AM

Here's a few updated pictures of the neck. I go the back of headstock veneer glued on and kinda shaped up this morning, also I now almost have the neck fully shaped. The last pic has naphtha rubbed on the neck so you can see how its starting to turn out nice! (Sorry for the pics being so big....Im not sure how to fix that, any input would be appreciated)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-15-2015, 09:27 AM

Well, I got the sound hole cut and bound. Hopefully I will get it braced and boxed up in the near future.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 PM

How is this wonderful looking instrument coming along?
Old 04-20-2015, 03:44 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Looking great! I really love the oval soundhole and I have this on a few of my guitars. That neck looks outstanding with a finish on it. Very nice work. What do you have planned for the bridge/tailpiece? I think some polished bronze might look really nice on this.

JR
Old 06-11-2015, 06:06 AM

Richard, it's coming along slowly but its getting there! Ive been building an electric for a guy right now so this went on the back burner but I will but some updated pics up soon!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Looking great! I really love the oval soundhole and I have this on a few of my guitars. That neck looks outstanding with a finish on it. Very nice work. What do you have planned for the bridge/tailpiece? I think some polished bronze might look really nice on this.

JR
Thanks! Im really not positive yet of the tailpiece yet, I have been thinking of bronze too! once I get the neck set it will kinda help me decide I think.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 AM

I finally got back to focusing my time on this guitar. First I rebound the soundhole for a third time! The first one I posted pics of I wasn't happy with because it looked more like a veneer (I guess it technically was as thin as it was). The second attempt to bind it didn't go well because I broke the wenge trying to bend it. The third was a charm tho! now its at around .060 so it looks way better (to my eye anyway!) I got the bracing done so I figured I would post a pic of that. Hopefully tomorrow I will be putting up a few more pics of it throughout the process of cleaning it all up and and boxing it up. Also of flush routing the top and back to the sides. Im nervous of the wenge blowing out in the flush routing process because it is such a strait grain wood especially since its quarter sawn, any advice or precautions from anyone who has done this with wenge would be appreciated.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-11-2015, 08:06 PM

Looks good man! I love wenge and am glad to see more people using it.
IMO it's one of the most promising "new" guitar woods.

It can have a tendency to blow out a bit during flush-routing. Sand as close as you can, and scrape the rest down to flush if it really seems like a brittle piece.

Spiral bits also help a lot with this, though they can be tricky to find with bearings, and doubly so if you need a 1/4" shank. I think Eagle sells one.

To avoid this problem when routing the binding channel, I've occasionally routed the purfling channel first, before the binding ledge. The shallower cut is gentler, plus the fact that you're not cutting fully through the plate, and thus aren't 'catching' a whole grain line with the cutting edge. Then, cut the binding ledge and any blowout tends to only go as far as the edge of the purfling, and gets covered up.

This may or may not work depending on your router setup. It's overkill for most situations but some very brittle woods can justify it.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Martin, the wenge ended up not being as bad as I was expecting it to be luckily! Here are some updated photos of whats going on now. The first few are after I applied shellac to the insides and then after I just sanded it back to where the sheen was gone. Then a few pics of the glue up and the routing there after. Also I included an updated pic of the soundhole binding for anyone who is keeping up with this build. [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop