The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Default Great experience with a luthier yesterday!

Hey folks!

First time I have ever posted here but I just wanted to say I had a great experience with a luthier in georgia yesterday. His name is Tom Dodson. I live in Central Georgia and there are absolutely no reliable luthiers in this area that I know of. I use to use Mac Mccormick in Columbus, Ga. but unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. I have a Larrivee D-50 that I needed some work done to and I took it to a local music store and they let some jack rabbit work on it and he damaged more than he fixed. So I started searching. I found Tom's name here on the forum and gave him a call. I went to his shop last night and I was just super impressed with his knowledge and care for my instrument. I will get my guitar back in a few days and I will let you guys know how he did on my guitar. If you are in this area or just looking for a good guy remember Tom Dodson in Jackson, Ga. Wonderful guy and hopefully he will do a wonderful job on my guitar.

Thanks

danclax
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 AM

Default Guitar repair

If I had known that guitars can be repaired,
I would not have scrapped my good old LEVIN classic.

Installed a ceramic pickup under the saddle inlay.
Acoustic loudness was only half after that, but a very fine sound from the amplifier. Then I widened the hole
at the bottom to insert the connector jack. Slightly pressed and hammered the cylindrical jack and suddenly the body side cracked apart and soundboard and back opened like the jaws of a crocodile. Gone was my Levin.
I stuffed it into the garbage bin.

Therefore I encourage everybody to give us their experiences with successful repairs.
w.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Hey guys!

Got my guitar back this past saturday and Tom Dodson did an amazing job. What a super nice guy and a top notch luthier. He let me and my buddy look around his shop at some guitars and a mandolin he was working on and just carried on good quality conversation with us. I will use Mr. Dodson for all my guitar work in the future if at all possible.

You can find his info at www.dodsonguitars.com

I drive an hour to use him and he is well worth it. If you have a day and a guitar that needs work, take it to Tom. He is open Mon-Fri 4-8 P.M. and Sat. 10-6. He works another job during the day and does this in the evening. He said when he retires his plan is to work on/build guitars full time.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair