The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2008, 05:32 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNP View Post
Amazing review and Info maaak

I am probably going to test them both before I make the purchase. I really liked the LL16 though. With a a 1 3/4 nut I'm guessing it would be pretty good for finger style too
The 1 3/4" nut is definitely a plus for fingerstyle. As for the body shape, I think it depends a lot on your personal playing style. I have a delicate touch, and I appreciate the natural volume and projection from the LL. At the same time, I am also very much into folk stuff and flatpicking (though I still have a lot to learn) so a concert/dreadnought hybrid like the LL definitely makes sense for me.

Quote:
Anyway the difficult question is not really the LS or LL one but rather the Yamaha or the GAD :P

Both same price, both manufactured at China, both having similar woods (all solid, spruce top, rosewood back + sides)

Well, I just need to play them once more and make my mind up
At these prices and quality, I think it's almost impossible to make a wrong decision. If both the Yamaha and the Guild sound equally good, I would say get the one that looks and feels the most desirable. If you're going to be serious about playing, this is *not* going to be the last instrument you'll ever own, so it isn't something you'll regret. At the same time, I find that people adapt their playing styles to get the best out of their guitars. So what you hear today may only be a small portion of what the instrument is really capable of

Quote:
On an Off Topic note. My mother is a Chinese from MY. Been to Kuching like 8-9 times. Have quite a few relatives over there! I find the culture/way of living in MY quite different and Very Interesting. I was not too fond of the weather though I hate moisture / sweat
That's 7-8 times more thatn *I've* been there
Yeah, the weather takes some getting used to. I'm fine with it, but my guitars aren't! In fact, I'm actually building a dehumidifying solution for them now with parts bought off eBay.

Back to the discussion: If you could be patient, I would ask you to give me a few days till my new bone saddle arrives from the US. Once I get that installed, I'll be adjusting the relief and action to something more suitable for fingerstyle. Then I should be able to give a final verdict of the LL16.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 AM

Looks like a fine instrument to me! Congrats!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:02 AM

mmmaak,

I sent you a P.M. Pls check. Btw, are in the MIGF as well?

01 Admira (Mod.Teresa)Classical Guitar (Cedar/EIR)
04 Yamaha LJX6C (Engelmann/EIR)
07 Freeman Custom OMC (Adirondack/Flamed Queensland Walnut)
07 Freeman Classical (Engelmann/EIR)
09 Freeman Grand Concert (Aus Modern Kauri/NZ Ancient Kauri)
10 NAGA Guitar SAE28CE (Engelmann/EIR)

My YouTube Page

MySpace Page
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd943 View Post
Congrats on a nice grab. I think you will find alot of love here for Yamaha guitars.I for one am a hugh fan of Yamahas. Now, where is Yamaha Junkie, I bet he will be all over this one!
Yes, where *is* Yamaha Junkie when we most expect him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Looks like a fine instrument to me! Congrats!
Thanks, Hambone! You seem to have amassed quite a collection there!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Sorry, I was out earning Yamaha Bucks
I wish my local dealers took Yamaha more serious. If I want to see an LL I have to buy them
What do you mean by overbuilt? Sound? weight?
And don't discard the tuners yet. I have found the tuners on the cheapo's to be fantastic. The Yamaha tuners on my LA18 are fantastic. The tuners on the FG1500 have a split top! And they respond as good as Waverlys I have. Man, the split tops are they easy to string! Your tuners may look cheaper than they perform.
I wonder if the tuners are also Chinese? Maybe some I have not seen.
I didn't know the L's moved to China. I have heard of companies pulling out of China because the labor is getting too expensive! Chinese craftsmanship is getting scary good and I think the Chinese pride in high end stuff will show through more and more. I have a top of the line Chinese Alvarez MD350c WOW what a guitar. I can find some finish flaws in her. But I would have paid 2k more for her with a USA lable. I hope Gibson and others are paying attention.
I have a Yamaha Bamboo B1 on the way! You read it here first!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Yamaha Junkie,

Overbuilt in weight. Very heavy.
Agree with you about the tuner. Their tuner just as good as any other branded tuner. I did check with Yamaha about their tuner price & it priced higher than a Grover!!!!

yowech

01 Admira (Mod.Teresa)Classical Guitar (Cedar/EIR)
04 Yamaha LJX6C (Engelmann/EIR)
07 Freeman Custom OMC (Adirondack/Flamed Queensland Walnut)
07 Freeman Classical (Engelmann/EIR)
09 Freeman Grand Concert (Aus Modern Kauri/NZ Ancient Kauri)
10 NAGA Guitar SAE28CE (Engelmann/EIR)

My YouTube Page

MySpace Page
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Sorry, I was out earning Yamaha Bucks
I wish my local dealers took Yamaha more serious. If I want to see an LL I have to buy them
What do you mean by overbuilt? Sound? weight?
I wonder if the tuners are also Chinese? Maybe some I have not seen.
I didn't know the L's moved to China. I have heard of companies pulling out of China because the labor is getting too expensive! Chinese craftsmanship is getting scary good and I think the Chinese pride in high end stuff will show through more and more.
I have a Yamaha Bamboo B1 on the way! You read it here first!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowech View Post
Yamaha Junkie,

Agree with you about the tuner. Their tuner just as good as any other branded tuner. I did check with Yamaha about their tuner price & it priced higher than a Grover!!!!
Though the weight is a good indicator of whether a guitar is overbuilt, I think the defining characteristic is still the sound. I wouldn't mind playing a 20kg guitar if it sounded fantastic! Though I probably wouldn't be able to do it with the usual girl on my other lap

It's a bit hard to describe, but I think that *optimally* built guitars have a certain open-ness to them (airyness, if you will) and respond well to very delicate touches. I experienced this when playing my friend's Lakewood (perhaps unfair to compare the LL16 with a USD3500 guitar). So, I would have to say that the Yamaha is overbuilt in both weight *and* sound. This is not so much a criticism as a curiosity about how it *could* have sounded had it been built a little lighter.

Yamaha Junkie, if you can compare your tuners to Waverlys, they were probably made in Japan. I've played an LJ26 with open tuners and they are indeed of very high quality.

yowech, your LL6 was made in Taiwan, so it could very well have different tuners.

The ones on my LL16 look *and* feel cheap, so I'm not sure how they can be compared to Grovers (unless they too make crappy tuners nowadays). The gears are quite smooth, but have a certain amount of slack to them. I'm not saying they're *bad* by any standards. But when you have sensitive ear and use as many alternate tunings as I do, you would want the best gears possible, and these certainly aren't.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowech View Post
Yamaha Junkie,

yowech
I sit when I play so wieght is not a factor to me. The N500 is a porker. Very heavy. The neck to body joint was designed with Arnold Swartzneger in mind. The neck is the usual thinner profile.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on Monday and order an LL16.

Just a quick question...

I know it's a 1-3/4" nut width, but is the neck itself a thin profile or a little thicker like my old FG-335?

I played the LL16 a while ago and I forgot if it has the same neck as my FG.

I'm gettin' old!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM

It's a "V" profile. A bit of a different shape than the FG.

You may find it a little intimidating initially, but once you get comfortable with it, you may not want to go back...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
I know it's a 1-3/4" nut width, but is the neck itself a thin profile or a little thicker like my old FG-335?
Sammy there beat me to it!

Yes, it's a V-profile neck. Different from those on the FG series that I've played. It isn't a very slim profile like Taylor necks, but neither is it chunky like Seagulls. It may take some getting used to, depending on what your current neck is like, but it does tend to grow on you after a while. I find it advantageous for certain fingerings and playing styles. But that's just me - your own hands are the best judge

By the way, I have been doing a fair bit of tinkering on my LL16 and I do believe that the sound and playability have improved substantially. I'll be posting about this soon, so stay tuned if you want to get the best out of your new Yammy!

ohh, and it would be nice if you could keep this thread going with your own review of the LL once you get it. I would be very interested in knowing another owner's views on what I consider to be fantastic instrument for the price
Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

congrats on a new guitar!!!

i wonder how much a baden is in your neck of the woods. they are said to be made in vietnam
Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpreso View Post
congrats on a new guitar!!!

i wonder how much a baden is in your neck of the woods. they are said to be made in vietnam
I'm not sure if you're referring to me or Buck, so I'll assume it's both

I don't know if geographical proximity has much to do with a guitar's price. As a general rule, acoustic guitars are expensive here in Malaysia, and the "big brands" like Taylor and Martin often carry a very hefty premium. Just a consequence of the small market for such instruments (electrics seem to be much more popular, though). One exception to this rule is Yamaha, who sell their own guitars and keep the price under control.

EDIT: Having said that, I would certainly like to play a Baden. But I'm not sure if they have any dealers nearby yet.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Smile Yamaha Guitars are superb!

I have a Yamaha FG441S. Solid spruce top, Ovangkol back and sides, mahogany neck, rosewood bridge and fingerboard.
It will be 11 years old in June 2008, and it still plays beautifully. Its condition is as it was when i bought it, and it has matured so well. It cost me 256 GBP in 1997, and I have played it constantly. The woods are excellent quality, and I have replaced the plastic nut and saddle with bone. Also, the bridge pins are now solid brass. I haven't even had a fret job on this guitar after all this time and hundreds of hours of playing. These guitars are "Workhorse" instruments, they respond to your playing style and the volume they can produce is very loud. I have had it professionally set up a few times, and it plays like any high-end, overpriced instrument. I will try to post some photo's soon, I love this guitar to bits. Good luck with any Yamaha you buy, they are fantastic value for money.
Marshall AS100D.
MesaBoogie 5:50 2x12 combo.

Last edited by taylormadeguita; 04-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM

I have played an LL6 and an LL16 in shops recently and was very impressed with the build and sound quality of both. Incredible value.
I love the L-series Yams. I have an LS500.

Oh yeah, YamahaJunkie, I had a quick strum on a bamboo Yamaha last weekend. Looked really cool. Sounded like a brick. Cool for collectors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion