The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-01-2023, 05:37 PM

Default Looking for a resonator with particular specs

Can't tell if I'm just way off base here but I can't seem to find a resonator with the specs I want - and they don't seem outrageous to me. I have a Gretsch Boxcar. It's a 12th fret body with an internal pickup (prefer to avoid the hassle of mic-ing). I struggle to play Traveling Riverside Blues on it and I'd like to be able to play the solo for Won't Back Down (we do an acoustic version)...

What I want:
14th fret full size body
cutout
pickup
under $1000

I've found Royall and Republic but they seem to be small (parlor) bodies. Harley Benton has one but I worry about the quality. Are these specs so weird?
Gretsch 5420T | Supro Kingsport | Reverend Double Agent W | Squier CV 50s Tele, Esquired, BSB | G&L ASAT Tribute | MiM Tele | Taylor 224 | Teton 12 string | Supro Blues King 12 | Ever-growing harmonica pile
Old 12-01-2023, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

The cutout is not common. Bottle neck slide players tend to bring their thumb out from behind the neck and lay it on the strings for damping once they get above the neck or body.

14 fret bodies on resonator guitars are traditionally slightly shorter than 12 fret models. They were produced by shortening 12 fret bodies.

A retro fitted surface mounted p/u is probably your best option for plugged in gigs, if you don't want to mic'. The cone or biscuit / bridge mounted peizo units need outboard processing to sound acceptable.

I would be inclined to get a 14 fret Style O copy (think Brothers in Arms album cover) and fit a slimline surface mounted humbucker.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:51 PM

Great info, thanks. I have seen some 14 fret options. Clearly, part of my issue is technique (I'm working on that). Still, a certain amount of higher fret access makes sense to me. I'll look into the slimline pickups while we see what others have to say.
Gretsch 5420T | Supro Kingsport | Reverend Double Agent W | Squier CV 50s Tele, Esquired, BSB | G&L ASAT Tribute | MiM Tele | Taylor 224 | Teton 12 string | Supro Blues King 12 | Ever-growing harmonica pile
Old 12-01-2023, 11:05 PM

Just as an aside, I bought a couple of Harley Benton guitars to try them out and they were really astonishingly good for the money. Both needed fret dressing and a setup, but other than than that, a lot of guitar for the money.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-02-2023, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Krivo pickup.

https://www.krivopickups.com
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 12-02-2023, 02:55 PM

Dean CE Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Resonator Guitar maybe.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...20%7C%20%24429
Old 12-05-2023, 10:58 AM

I too am imprinted on a 14 fret neck. When I got interested in playing slide on a reso, the main option found (and purchased) was the Martin aluminum topped ALT II resonator. I would not have gone for the metal top a plain acoustic guitar, but as a resonator guitar it worked. They are long out of production and I sold mine years ago, but here is a used one: https://reverb.com/item/2432727-mart...can-made-dobro

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

well, this one differs on a few of your requests, but give it a listen. looks killer imo as well.

https://organicsoundsguitars.com/col...odyssey-rn-new

here it is at 4:40

Last edited by darylcrisp; 12-06-2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Republic's Parlor size Hwy 61 14 fretter with cutaway might not be a bad option. I had a Republic Parlor 12 fret that put out decent tone and volume. I upgraded the cone with a National Hot Rod cone and it had a Fishman Nashville Series Biscuit pick up, Piezo style pick up, that worked well. The cone upgrade added some sustain and the trebles were enhanced.

This one listed on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/76276685-rep...-steel-cutaway has a pickup installed.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:16 PM

The Republic and Royall are a good starting place. Check out Regal, too, because they also make good entry-level instruments. Don't know whether they have a fourteen-fret cutaway with pickup, but they might.

Don't fuss about the size. A good resonator is loud even if the body is small. The real issue is hardware. Republic, Royall, and Regal are good starting places, but to get the volume a reso should deliver, plan to upgrade your bridge and cone at some point. Beard, National, Quarterman, and others will give you the parts you need to have instrument that really barks.

A terrific player I know has a $4,000 Beard and a cheap Regal with upgraded hardware. He says he can't tell the difference. It makes sense, because the sound in a resonator guitar comes from (surprise, surprise) the resonator. So get top-quality hardware and you'll have a top-quality (and loud!) guitar.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 12-12-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:03 PM

Must be a poor example of a Beard. I've played both high end Resos, and upjumped entry-levels. They sound nothing alike.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Beard, National, Quarterman, and others will give you the parts you need to have instrument that really barks.
+1. I use the best parts I can get for my builds. Makes a significant difference.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:57 PM

I’m also hooked on cutaways. I would never buy a 12-fret reso without one, and I probably wouldn’t buy a 14 fretter without either. Unless it was really really pretty.

A National T-14 with an aftermarket pickup would probably make you very happy, but those are $5000+ new! I love mine dearly so sorry you can’t have it

The lower end of the market tends to stick more to “traditional” dimensions and features, which usually means 12 frets to the body.

Your technique is probably just fine! A lot of reso players disdain the higher frets, but I’ve always thought that was a waste. Few guitars can give you as much volume, sustain, and clarity above the 12th fret as a tricone played with a slide. And it’s a LOT easier to play up that high in tune if you’re not reaching diagonally across the fretboard with your slide.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:30 PM

This are great suggestions and really appreciated! I'm looking into all the suggestions (well, all the ones under $1500 or so! Who wouldn't love a National?).

Harley Benton resos have received some attention on other forums, too. Does anyone have experience with them?
Old 12-20-2023, 09:49 AM

It sounds like you’re describing the National ResoRocket 14. Your best bet for a budget version would probably be a Republic Clarksdale Special.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

Last edited by Rumblefish; 12-20-2023 at 10:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments