The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yes Kev, tracking, not mixing. My personal feeling is tracking environments are much more critical than mixing. Too be sure a great mixing environment is important but critical problems can be (by and large) worked around. Not so much with tracking. The compromises and consequences are always significant. Like I said I'll try to sneak in this weekend and record a snippet of something. Maybe that'll shed some sonic light on things!
That would be great and if possible I would love to download the WAV. or AIFF and see what might be done with my Bricasti M7

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 AM

I built one of those years ago in my basement out of hollow interior doors from a yard sale and carpet samples from Goodwill. One of the doors had a window in the right place to be seen from the board. It worked fine, though it was odd to hear your voice ending at the tip of your nose. I beat the $6000 price tag by about $5950. There is no gold or platinum in the construction and anyone reasonably handy can build one that works acceptably for home use.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
I built one of those years ago in my basement out of hollow interior doors from a yard sale and carpet samples from Goodwill. One of the doors had a window in the right place to be seen from the board. It worked fine, though it was odd to hear your voice ending at the tip of your nose. I beat the $6000 price tag by about $5950. There is no gold or platinum in the construction and anyone reasonably handy can build one that works acceptably for home use.
If it worked for you, great, but its NOT the same thing! carpet and hollow wood doors do not insulate nor absorb diddly!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Correct, absolutely it is not the same, but it worked fine for my uses. It absorbed quite a bit of sound, in fact I removed the material from the overhead because I felt it was TOO dead.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Obviously I don't know how your room turned out sonically having never been there I do however wanna add a couple of thoughts. Some years ago, in the very early days of digital audio, I did software installations and configurations for studios throughout the country. For the most part it was an endless parade of very, very bad home remedy sound and room treatments. Almost without exception they were all the absolute worse sonic sounding environments one can imagine. Some so thuddy dead it hurt. Some years past that we got into the Auralex phase. Same thing. Horrid attempts at proper room treatment.

All of that in turn prompted me to start this thread. For acoustic instruments I am of the firm belief that room acoustics are a grand percentage of the sonic battle. Much, much more so than any other element except perhaps the talent itself. It's also a tricky, elusive, difficult environment to get right. Conversely it's a very, very easy thing to get wrong. There's so much to the equation that makes things work or for that matter fail. All of that to say despite it's cost ($5950.00 more than you spent), the Whisper Room appears to be the real deal solution and I wanted to share what is (in my mind) something that departs from the typical inexpensive home remedies that often are a dismal failure. I'm not yet sure what has gone into the design of the Whisper booth to make it work as well as it appears to work, and make NO mistake it's not perfect. But it does work. Not to say your room was a dismal failure mind you as I don't know since I've not been there. But that said, the thought of yard sale hollow doors and Goodwill carpet does raise an eyebrow....or two
Old 06-26-2014, 05:11 AM

A. Good for you.
B. Without additional processing, does it sound like a recording in a small space?
C. What happens as the acoustic energy increases? Unless you're in an anechoic chamber, as the energy of the sound source increases, the air in the space becomes more and more stimulated and resonances are generated that aren't always pleasant.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Obviously I don't know how your room turned out sonically having never been there I do however wanna add a couple of thoughts. Some years ago, in the very early days of digital audio, I did software installations and configurations for studios throughout the country. For the most part it was an endless parade of very, very bad home remedy sound and room treatments. Almost without exception they were all the absolute worse sonic sounding environments one can imagine. Some so thuddy dead it hurt. Some years past that we got into the Auralex phase. Same thing. Horrid attempts at proper room treatment.

All of that in turn prompted me to start this thread. For acoustic instruments I am of the firm belief that room acoustics are a grand percentage of the sonic battle. Much, much more so than any other element except perhaps the talent itself. It's also a tricky, elusive, difficult environment to get right. Conversely it's a very, very easy thing to get wrong. There's so much to the equation that makes things work or for that matter fail. All of that to say despite it's cost ($5950.00 more than you spent), the Whisper Room appears to be the real deal solution and I wanted to share what is (in my mind) something that departs from the typical inexpensive home remedies that often are a dismal failure. I'm not yet sure what has gone into the design of the Whisper booth to make it work as well as it appears to work, and make NO mistake it's not perfect. But it does work. Not to say your room was a dismal failure mind you as I don't know since I've not been there. But that said, the thought of yard sale hollow doors and Goodwill carpet does raise an eyebrow....or two
The other thing that is inherent in home studio situations is ambient noise, particularly one room situations. Computer noise and just plain household noise. I was shocked when in conjunction with a Critical Listening course I took at Berklee where we used SPL meters to read room noise. I had an ambient level of between 20 and 25 db in my dedicated treated (as per suggestions from GIK) attic studio.
What this ambient noise does in combination with any system noise is rob clarity which in turn robs depth. Which is why I might be very interested in an (engineered) sound room solution. For around the starting price of a luthier built guitar.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
B. Without additional processing, does it sound like a recording in a small space?
Not so much as you'd think. During the recording when I shuffle around in the room (my typical banging into this or that) you can hear the closeness. But the guitar recording is not at all boxy. It's up close for sure but I don't think anyone would detect a 'small room" sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
C. What happens as the acoustic energy increases? Unless you're in an anechoic chamber, as the energy of the sound source increases, the air in the space becomes more and more stimulated and resonances are generated that aren't always pleasant.
At the level I recorded there was a decided lack of any annoying resonances. Much less so than in any of the rooms I'd typically try to knock out a recording including my audio bay. However, I'm pretty sure there would be a point where they'd start to rear their ugly heads. As I mentioned earlier this thing isn't perfect by any stretch. It is however (in the limited time I've spent with it) really, really good. If I were investing in things to make my acoustic guitar recordings better, this would undoubtedly be my absolute first stop.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 AM

Thank you for posting your experience. I had inquired about these a short while ago and got a helpful reply from Bob among others. I'm fully intending to install one of these (or a StudioBricks room, which are somewhat more attractive) as I have long theorized that it would be an acoustic improvement over anything I have access to, and the insulation qualities fit my goals quite well. My home for the next year would be a bit of a tight fit, but I plan to get one as soon as possible.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 PM

We have a Whisper room in our Studio here in the East Bay - Pleasanton. It's a small one made for Voiceover but you can sit in it and play and record, as i have done that. It is a neat setup. Ours is about 6x4. It has a vent , fan setup, door and window.
We have a larger Voiceover Room but we keep this in the studio.

They are modular but we have no plans to extend ours. I recently saw one on craigslist near here for 2500.00. They can be had.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 AM

What size room would you say is required to get excellent results for guitar and vocals? And how much additional treatment do you suggest?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
What size room would you say is required to get excellent results for guitar and vocals? And how much additional treatment do you suggest?
There's no set answer - there are way too many variables - materials of construction being the most dominant (carpet, wood floor, suspended ceiling or sheetrock, windows, etc.) Acoustical treatment (bass traps especially) will help any recording room.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD