The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Default SD card experiences?

Just got a new Tascam multi tracker that I'll be using SD cards with. There's a list of "recommended" brands on their website, but it's a few years old, too. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings on which brands to go with? I have to think that all the main brands -- Lexar, Kensington, Sandisk, etc. -- probably work fine, don't they?

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Just got a new Tascam multi tracker that I'll be using SD cards with. There's a list of "recommended" brands on their website, but it's a few years old, too. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings on which brands to go with? I have to think that all the main brands -- Lexar, Kensington, Sandisk, etc. -- probably work fine, don't they?
I would stick to the main brands that you have listed. And always have a spare handy. I've had a few failures in my time with cameras, not with recorders though.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 AM

Check the owner's manual and make sure you use the correct "class" of SD card. Class 4 cards can have problems with read/write speeds necessary for some applications, for example.
I believe most SD recorders recommend a class 10 card if my memory serves me correctly today.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Yeah, make sure on 'class' as well as brand. It was a concern with my old Boss BR600.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Hi slewis...

The only SD cards which ever went South on me were discount brands.

I'm a photographer, and SD cards are a serious issue with me. I only buy Sandisk because of the reputation.

I also own recovery software to pull data off them if one goes bad (which I've done for friends and relatives). I don't know of any recovery software for data other than pictures.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-15-2014, 04:31 PM

SD cards come in SD, SDHC and SDXC flavours (oldest to latest standards) and they're not necessarily backwards compatible depending on the original design age of the equipment.

It might be a current Tascam, but the hardware in might jave been designed 10 years ago.

For instance a lot of multi- FX pedals are still using decade old technologies as the processing power in old hardware is still sufficient for the purpose.

So check the card compatability list and stick with it. ..

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks, all -- it is the HC type I need, and I grabbed a Kensington (familiar brand to me) card yesterday while passing up some really cheap brand they also had. I'll check out the 'class' spec, too....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD