The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-04-2023, 03:11 PM

Default Affordable tricone wanted

Been looking to scratch the resonator itch for a while: played a few late-model Nationals back when MandoBros was my friendly local guitar shop, realized a tricone has the tone I'm after but not about to spend $5K on an occasional-use niche instrument...

Anything out there that won't cost me an arm, leg, and a couple other highly-useful appendages - and isn't a total trainwreck and/or sold by a shady dealer... ?

I'd happily invest in a "full teardown" pro setup and/or hardware upgrades, as long as the basic platform is solid and the price is right...

TIA...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-04-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Been looking to scratch the resonator itch for a while: played a few late-model Nationals back when MandoBros was my friendly local guitar shop, realized a tricone has the tone I'm after but not about to spend $5K on an occasional-use niche instrument...

Anything out there that won't cost me an arm, leg, and a couple other highly-useful appendages - and isn't a total trainwreck and/or sold by a shady dealer... ?

I'd happily invest in a "full teardown" pro setup and/or hardware upgrades, as long as the basic platform is solid and the prixe is right...

TIA...
Steve, You could look at Republic Guitars out of Austin, Texas. They sell imported resonators and supposedly go through each one and discard ones they don't like. Back in March 2020, I bought a Duolian from Republic that I really like. For the money, less than $1000 USD for the basic model, I think it's a good brand to consider for your prospective tricone purchase. Republic Guitars Tricone Models
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-04-2023, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Smile Idea

I suggest a want To Buy thread in the guitars FS area.

A tri-cone is still a guitar. Right?

And, square neck or round?

Other than this I am no help, but I wish you the best on your quest

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-04-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
...And, square neck or round?
Roundneck - I'll be using it in standard tuning, mostly for fingerstyle and acoustic lead...
Old 06-04-2023, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I've been happy with my Republic Woody Tri-cone. I really didn't need to do much as far as setup goes, just a truss rod tweak and it's worked well for a playing both slide and finger picking with medium gauge strings. Even the Schatten pickup works well with a good preamp.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...You could look at Republic Guitars out of Austin, Texas. They sell imported resonators and supposedly go through each one and discard ones they don't like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I've been happy with my Republic Woody Tri-cone. I really didn't need to do much as far as setup goes, just a truss rod tweak and it's worked well for a playing both slide and finger picking with medium gauge strings...
I've heard mixed reviews about Republic, and while they're definitely under consideration I'm also looking for other options...

That said, the Woody looks interesting...
Old 06-04-2023, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I have a Royall woody tricone, closely related to the Republic. I did replace the stock cones with a set of Beard cones. If you are interested I can do a comparison with new to me 2000s Gold Tone PBS roundneck. I have been too busy to make the comparison between the two, but plan on doing it tomorrow. If you want I could make a quick video or audio comparison.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM

I'd probably look at a Regal RC51 or 57, and be prepared to replace the cones at the very least.

Maybe they've improved, but the two Republics I've owned completely soured me on the brand.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:05 PM

+1 on the Regal's ... I am not much of a resonator player, but I acquired one of their Tricones in aged brass or similar second hand and it plays very well. I "upgraded" the cones with some hand-spun Delta's and also got a K&K tricone pickup and it's been great fun ... borrowed for a long time by a lad learning blues who did some good stuff with it too.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Steve, just watch out for the neck angles on Regal and Republic - they vary. Some are good, some not so. And the Continental cones (same for both brands) are just a shade thicker than NRP cones. This is not too much of an issue if you have a good break angle and are running a reasonable tension. I would swap out the saddle to maple or boxwood before considering a cone change. BTW, cones are not a direct swap - NRP are a different height, so you need some saddle room to play with.

Rather than buy new. You may find a second hand Regal or Republic and could fix it up yourself. If you were in the UK, I'd say look out for a Busker Deco second hand; only because I will have rebuilt it! Lol!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
I have a Royall woody tricone, closely related to the Republic. I did replace the stock cones with a set of Beard cones. If you are interested I can do a comparison with new to me 2000s Gold Tone PBS roundneck. I have been too busy to make the comparison between the two, but plan on doing it tomorrow. If you want I could make a quick video or audio comparison.
Hi Pine Cone
Sorry to butt in on your conversation. I have just pulled the trigger on a Royall wood bodied Tricone. However, I’ve had to do it without playing it first.
What do you think of it?
Cheers
Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

I'd happily invest in a "full teardown" pro setup and/or hardware upgrades, as long as the basic platform is solid and the price is right...

TIA...
Steve, the only other nickel-plated, bell-brass resonator I've ever owned was a new American-made Dobro back in 1977. Although it's not a tri-cone, for whatever you can glean from it here's my March 2020 review of my then-new Republic Duolian with Schatten NR-2 Pickup:

I ordered my Republic Duolian without ever seeing or playing a Republic guitar, and I'm pleased with it. For its cost of $719, which includes a nice hardened gig bag, plus $125 for the installation of the Schatten NR-2, plus $45 shipping = $899, I think I got a well-made guitar that sounds good, and I have no regrets!

My first playing test of the Republic Duolian in Tarnished Nickel Finish is pleasurable in that the guitar sounds really good both acoustically and plugged into my UltraSound AG30, and in that the guitar is set up quite well with darn good craftsmanship.

The amplified tone from the Republic Guitars-installed Schatten NR-2 is noise-free and sounds surprisingly full and quite well-balanced string-to-string in its output and tone. I'm routing the Schatten's passive output through my new Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box Tube Preamp and that likely accounts for some of the warmth and roundness of amplified tone. The Vari-Z variable impedance knob of the SGBB acts to find the sweet spot impedance for the pickup and also acts as a kind of volume control as the more the knob is turned toward the higher impedance end of its travel the more there is a noticeable volume increase along with the increasing fullness of tone. I've found the most pleasing tone is at the 1 Megaohm end of the knob. I also have an LR Baggs Session DI that I'll try the Schatten through to hear what that can do for its amplified tone.

Photos of Republic Duolian including one of the Schatten NR-2 Biscuit Bridge Piezo Pickup

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-21-2023 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:57 PM

All these imported tricones are variants of the original National Tricone design from the '30's (including the modern Nationals). You should understand that these are fairly complicated assemblies and they do not always translate well to cheap construction. I think the top of the line are the original Nationals, then the new Nationals then everything else. There are some European tricones that are pretty competitive. But you are probably old enough to know that you get what you pay for and that satisfaction can be hard to come by on the cheap side of the street.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-21-2023, 02:16 AM

Recording King makes a very good sounding tricone.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:42 PM

I had a Republic round-neck tricone with a Lace Sensor pup. I really liked it, just never got the hang of playing it so I let it go. Seemed like a quality instrument though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments