The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-19-2023, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackweasel View Post
Thanks guys,
Right now I'm using DGDGBD. Found it on a website. Yes, it is a fretted Fender metal bodied resonator, and I've actually made some headway in the last two days using that tuning. Getting ready to throw Clapton's "Me and Mr. Johnson" into the cd player and push it through my Bose PAS. That way I can mic off the Fender if I want and blend it in.
Thanks for the advise.
And, yes, jerry Douglas is the current king of the dobro.
Hi Jack, I play both - a Dobro Square neck, and a National round neck.
I see you have a National style so we are talking about blues style with a bottleneck.

I have a great many "bottlenecks of glass and metal, I recommend the heavier brass Jim dunlop styles. if the inside is too large for you simply sleeve it with leather. I think the best is model 224.

I prefer nickel wound strings but PBs are ok. I use medium gauge but put a .016 or .017 on the first.

I almost always tune to D,A,D,F#,A,D. Don't set the action higher than you would have normally, but learn to "stop" the strings with the slide rather than press down.
Play very lightly with your fretting hand, and as hard as necessary with your picking hand (not easy)
Play more with fretted notes than slide notes. Resist the impulse to play chords with the slide - its too noisy.

Old 12-21-2023, 05:11 AM

Hi Jackweasel

For loads of interesting info and tips on tunings, technique, types of resonator guitars visit:

www.michaelmesser.co.uk

It’s a great resource. Michael is a world-renowned slide player and there are many very experienced and pro slide players contributing to his forum. Well worth a visit.

Keep on sliding!

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:20 PM

My roundnecks are in open D and standard. If I can't clamp my Intellitouch on the headstock, I just lay it on the body and it works quite well even with that little connection. FYI, it is one of the very early models. And also FYI there are 2 Intellitouches, one by the original company, who was put out of business by a (later) Chinese company who used the same name and put out a vastly inferior product.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments