The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 AM

Default Thomsley guitars?

Has anyone heard of Canadian luthier Heath Thomsley Hales “Thomsley Guitars” ? The website is no longer working, are they out of business? I found a Thomsley guitar for sale and I don’t know anything about the company. Can anybody fill me in on this luthier? I understand he used to work for Jean Larrivée.
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM

I had one for the last 10+ years... unfortunately it was stolen a few weeks ago. Amazing guitar, if you have the chance to pick one up don't hesitate. To me it sounds very similar to a Maton... lot's of sustain and well-balanced.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Default Thomsley

Strings81, sorry for you loss. I had a rented banjo stolen I had to pay for, it sucks.

I know this is a very old Thread but,, it might help someone as I too could not find out much about Thomsley. I am here to tell you I just came into possession of Serial Number 023 and I believe there are just not that many, one post I found said maybe 30 or so. Anyway, this is an OM, spruce top, Mahogany B&S and is spectacular. Build was 15 years ago and sitting is case for most of it. Just saying, If a Thomsley comes your way, you should take a serious look at it. New Strings, a little Truss Rod tweak, a tad lower action for my taste and she is sounding and playing wonderful. It's quite beautiful to boot... I was very hesitant to buy it, so far away, very pleased with the guitar and the seller.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 PM

I'm sure many of us would love to see this Thomsley guitar. Can you post some photos?
Old 06-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Thomsley Pics

I would love to IF I can find the upload pic button which seems to be missing. Seems to me there should be an "Advanced" button and from there you can upload. mmmmmmmm still looking. I am Logged in...

To upload pictures I checked FAQ's, says to use the Control Panel and select Albums then pictures, I don't seem to have that option.

Last edited by Bobs your Uncle; 06-14-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs your Uncle View Post
I would love to IF I can find the upload pic button which seems to be missing. Seems to me there should be an "Advanced" button and from there you can upload. mmmmmmmm still looking. I am Logged in...
Hi Bobs,

Here you go. Take a look and PM me if you have questions.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

http://https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511949

Bobsyeruncle,
Follow the advice in Kerbie’s Post.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Thanks but....

Thank you Kerbie and Jim.. I had already been there and no luck yet.

I am a Moderator on another group that uses this same looking format,,:-)

What I am missing is the Manage Attachments button..." below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. "

This is what I was looking for earlier, I "Thought" is was in the Advanced button page but I sure don't see it.

Then I thought a Blocker with Firefox so I looked with Chrome and still not there.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I'll PM you. Hang on...
Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 PM

ok, with some fine Admini help we might have some pics,, thanks Kerbie.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

That’s a beauty, bobs. I detect the Larivee influence. Glad you posted this!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 PM

I don't believe Heath builds anymore. We used to work together many years ago...
Old 06-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
That’s a beauty, bobs. I detect the Larivee influence. Glad you posted this!
Thanks Jim and thanks again to Kerbie for hanging in there with me. I like fondling it as much as playing it.. :-) I had been saving pennies and shopping for a Larrivee for months now. First issue, I only live like 100 miles from the Oxnard Factory but no local shops with even on Larrivee in stock. I finally at least saw and played a used Parlor, Rosewood back and sides that was impressive but I wanted on OM or maybe even the L but OM-40 is what I was convinced I wanted and this Thomsley came along.

While it was in route via UPS I got the Ventura ( not far from the factory ) where I got my hands on my first Larrivee OM-40, Alpine Spruce top Indian Rosewood. I played that on Friday while camping near by and the Thomsley showed up on Monday. The Larrivee was very very nice but I don't have any buyers remorse. The Larrivee was a tad tight sounding as new guitars can be, but still it's a great guitar very easy to play and would only get better with some time. Same shop had a Larrivee in Dark Brazilian Rosewood for Big $$$, I didn't touch that one.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I don't believe Heath builds anymore. We used to work together many years ago...
My Seller bought it directly form Heath 15 years ago. He said this guitar I would not be disappointed with as it was one of Heath's that he was using to make a name for himself , so lots of love in it. Heath , well lets just say he
had a string of bad luck early on and as far as I could find out, he doesn't build anymore ,at least not for sale to the public.

I found a Heath Thomsley in Vancouver , Metal Bass player. I am just guessing maybe a son or who knows. :-)

I also found one other owner of a Thomsley and he seems to really like his. I might still own a Larrivee one day, we shall see. I have watched every youtube video I could find with any larrivee , all good. :-)
Old 06-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Nice pics, Bobs! Great-looking guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion