The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Default Yamaha OEM strings question

I recently picked up a new Yamaha AC1M. These is the new one with the pores filled on the neck.
This is the first guitar I brought home that didn't need new strings. This one must have just been unboxed. I use EJ16 Phosphor bronze strings on my acoustics as a rule. I'm wondering if these might be 80/20? This guitar sounds better than my AC3R all solid rosewood guitar. Which does sound very good! I've had it a month now and it still sounds magical. Very warm with sparkly highs. Have not had to do a setup other than slightly deepen the nut sluts and adjust the neck relief. Saddle untouched.

Anyway, does anyone know whether these come with Phosphor Bronze or 80/20 strings from Yamaha?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM

I thought they were using Elixirs now on the A-Series models. My A5R came from Japan (to my local music store) with Elixirs 12s.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Yeah, they come stock with Elixirs now. Their old anti rust strings are long gone.
I always liked the open pore feel on my AC3R
Old 12-19-2017, 04:09 PM

I wondered about this; the strings on my recent LL16 came with multi-coloured ball ends, like d'Addario. The previous (?) stock Yamaha FS50BT strings are still available-they too have coloured ball ends, so I'm a little confused...
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 PM

The guitar must have had the labels on the headstock telling you what strings they were. I still have mine from last chirstmas haha
Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I thought they were using Elixirs now on the A-Series models. My A5R came from Japan (to my local music store) with Elixirs 12s.
Yeah. Pretty sure they are elixir 80/20s on the new A series.

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 12-20-2017, 06:17 AM

Interesting. I thought I didn't like Elixers enough to pay the higher price. They don't feel like they are coated though. But it's been 5 years since I tried a set of Nano web lights (.012 to whatever). It is possible they use a variety of strings depending on supplier price. This guitar is awesome! Whatever the strings are.
Thanks for the comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion