The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo O View Post
For most of my recording I tend to go with a small amp. i have kind a fallen in love with a Gibson GA5 Les Paul goldtone amp.
One of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdSrKTBiOo

Sweet amp
Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 PM

no... I have a large (vintage) 100 watt 2X12 amp.. never use it

I play through 5-15 watts and more than I need..
Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Great amp, get the USA made one. It's basically the same as the UK made Goldtone and the Trace, but it has better components.

The one I use in my home recordings is this. $275 new on a MF close out. Gibson is really missing the boat on amps these days, but the do have robot tuners on some of there stuff

Not my amp, but the same as the one I have and in the same cherry condition. I have even done a small gig with it.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:04 PM

I went with a lil dawg tweed clone. Hand wired and the whole bit.
Price for a smaller one might close to your range.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Thanks for the replies. The use will be for home recording and generally playing in the house. I was originally looking at low wattage amps until I saw the very reasonably priced Marshall Haze 40-watt combo that includes reverb, vibrato, echo, and chorus. I'm not interested in buying a series of pedals, and I thought it would be nice to get a good amp with a few decent effects. The echo is especially appealing as I attempt a few Chet Atkins pieces.
I currently have about 25 different amplifiers, some for gigs, some for home. I never need more than 5 to 7 watts at home anymore, even with an outdoor party gig. You can get many fine amps with attenuators, (Dr. Z mini-Z, Orange tiny terror, and others) Marshall even makes a tiny 5 watt repro of the JM series that will get your neighbors to call the cops. The most versatile amp I have is my original 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. You can get a huge sound at low volumes. I tend to dislike built in effects. To me they never sound as good as stompboxes. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Without a doubt - a low watt amp for home use. I had a Dr. Z Galaxie (40/30 watts pentode/triode) with a Brake Lite attenuator. Tone was fantastic! But just to much amp for use at home. Traded it for a Goodsell Dominatrix (18w with master volume). I also have a Fargen Micro Plex (5w) and a Reeves Custom 12 PS (12w with power scaling). I also highly recommend the Crowther Hot Cake OD pedal for dirt at low volume. It lets the original tone of the guitar come right through.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Hey All,

I third the Bugera V5. I have one use it on my Gretsch and really like it.

Be aware on amps and tubes. What preamp and power tubes does matter.

I think in terms of the Fender family (6L6 based amps) the Vox family (EL84 based amps) and the Marshall family (EL34 based amps). Of course there are others and how components are mixed and matched makes a difference and different manufacturers use different power tubes for different models. It's just like with acoustic guitars - Gibson sound, Martin sound and Taylor sound and there are others - kinda general families. Same with tube amps. So consider that end of things if you are serious - otherwise just get one. Once you develop an ear for tubes modelers don't cut it. The Bugera V5 is EL84 based but moved a bit in the Marshall sound direction so darker than a fender 6L6 based amp. This is only a generalization but is how I think of tube amps.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 05-02-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
...I third the Bugera V5. I have one use it on my Gretsch and really like it...Be aware on amps and tubes. What preamp and power tubes does matter...So consider that end of things if you are serious...Once you develop an ear for tubes modelers don't cut it...
If you insist on going low-power make me #4 on the Bugera V5 - IMO there's nothing better for anywhere near the price, and if you want to start the tweaking process try these on for size:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12...ies-7025-12AX7
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Pr...9-Premium-EL84
http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe...il/?model=820H

BTW, +1 on the Bugera/Gretsch combination, Ed; I've got a (tweaked) V22 and a '64 Double Annie that I've owned since sixth grade - hit the triode switch and mid-boost and it's Liverpool, Fall 1963...

Excellent point on the tubes also; a simple tube swap and mild rebias completely changed the character of my amp. While I had a good handle on the tone I was after (and just how to get it) when I first bought my V22, even I was surprised at the transformation from Brit-voiced practice amp to plug-&-play '66 Ampeg NYC studio "key club" Gemini II/B-12XT tone clone (if you're not familiar with this branch of the amp "family," you should be) that'll pump out "big clean" toe-to-toe with my '65 Super RI, get Vox AC50 "NME '65" Beatle tones or "brown" Marshall crunch when I need it, and handle a 600-seat house with no problem (thank the super-efficient Eminence Swamp Thang speaker for the latter)...

Finally, what you say about developing an "ear" for tubes is quite true - I still own my top-panel (non-reverb) '64 Rocket and played through enough (rented) big-box Ampegs back in the day to recognize "that" sound when I hear it - and while I never had the opportunity to check out the uber-pricey Kemper, none of the modeling amps I've tried in the last fifteen years have been able to really capture the mojo. Although I've known/worked with a few studio/cover-band guys who swear by their modeling rigs, to my ears there was always something that wasn't quite "real" about the tones; I think of it as a sonic lunch date with a Sofia Vergara mannequin - very impressive to casual passers-by, but lacks the life, soul, and fire of the genuine article. Nothing against analog solid-state, BTW (especially for bass) - cheap, convenient, low-maintenance, got a couple I keep as backup/ practice/beater amps - but when it comes to righteous guitar tone, as Marvin and Tammi said, "ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
...I have a large (vintage) 100 watt 2X12 amp...never use it...
Post a pic or two, Jeff - sounds interesting...
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm late to the party, and this post might not even be read, but I've been in your shoes and I agree with other posters that even 5 watts is just too loud for home use, especially if it's a Class A design. If you have to have a tube amp, consider a Blackstar HT-1r. It's a 1 watt, push pull design. Not a ton of clean headroom, but has remarkable Marshall-like breakup at a volume that you can actually talk over. Built in reverb is excellent. But the best part for me is the speaker emulation on the headphone output. Not all headphone outputs are created equal, and I've had some real dogs... But I actually enjoy playing the Blackstar direct to headphones.

If you don't have to have a tube amp, consider some of the solid state offerings. Tech21 does a great job in this area. Also heard good things about the new Fender Mustang line.

Just my 1.9 cents.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
I'm late to the party, and this post might not even be read, but I've been in your shoes and I agree with other posters that even 5 watts is just too loud for home use, especially if it's a Class A design. If you have to have a tube amp, consider a Blackstar HT-1r. It's a 1 watt, push pull design. Not a ton of clean headroom, but has remarkable Marshall-like breakup at a volume that you can actually talk over. Built in reverb is excellent. But the best part for me is the speaker emulation on the headphone output. Not all headphone outputs are created equal, and I've had some real dogs... But I actually enjoy playing the Blackstar direct to headphones.

If you don't have to have a tube amp, consider some of the solid state offerings. Tech21 does a great job in this area. Also heard good things about the new Fender Mustang line.

Just my 1.9 cents.
I do actually have a reasonably good solid state - a Vox VT20 - and I've been putting it through its paces this week. It sounds pretty decent, on balance. That Blackstar sounds interesting, though. I've been looking at the Marshall DSL5, which also has a capability for 1 watt output, and have thought that it would be excellent for home recording and playing.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:57 PM

I gave my grandson a Bugara V5... great amp.

Another amp I use a lot... 2010 (ish) Fender Blues Jr green tolex wheat colored grille cloth and a hemp coned speaker.. couple other mods. Bought new from a dealer in Portland Or
Old 05-04-2014, 05:48 AM

I just "discovered" another tube amp brand: Yerasov, from Russia.
Their GTA-15 has been getting good reviews and pricing looks good.

They seem to have distribution in UK, otherwise it might be straight from Russia???

http://www.yerasov.com/
http://www.yerasov.co.uk/products.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSh-jbBhbo8
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 AM

This guy's got quite a product line - prices and quality both look good - but given the current political situation, I don't see these coming to the US through retail channels in the foreseeable future...
Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 AM

I saw this in the Musicians Friend catalog the other day.
It's only 1 watt, which might be right what the doctor ordered, for recording.

There was not that many made and looks like they might have been a poor seller

That's still a lot of money for 1 watt if you ask me, but I bet it records well

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...regular/h99179
Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Chet Atkins..sounds like you need an old Fender Silver face type thing.
I think those amps were some of the best ever..but i dont have one.

My favorite of what I have is a Vox AC30BM..only a volume knob (my kind of amp)and two channels..both great sounds..and a switch for 30 or 15 watts..still very loud..but great sound at low volume.
A bit troublesome the amp with a background noise flaw..repaired but not sure if will re occur.
To me Celestion speakers is the key.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars