The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM

Default A Man's Got To Know His Limitations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Everyone. Have you every bought any electric guitar gear because your hero used it? That would include guitar, amp, pedal, etc.
No, I can't say that I have. First off, until fairly recently, my "guitar heroes" were all folks known for their chops on acoustic guitars. Secondly, even though I finally embraced the electric guitar enough to enjoy playing and performing with one, that didn't happen until I was 40 years old, and I have a hard enough time trying to "sound like me" on an electric guitar without the added burden of trying to sound like someone else.

Last edited by WannabeWillie; 02-07-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:59 PM

My only electric is an SG. My guitar hero = Angus Young.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:18 PM

2 rosewood teles - George Harrison
Rick Turner model 1 - Lindsey Buckingham
Giffin Macro - because of who Roger Giffin is
Strats - SRV and so many others
Teles - for the same reasons
Fender champs, princetons, and deluxes for the obvious reasons

Sorry to be so vague, just too many reasons to list.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke View Post
My only electric is an SG. My guitar hero = Angus Young.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Rick Turner model 1 - Lindsey Buckingham
Giffin Macro - because of who Roger Giffin is
Strats - SRV and so many others
Teles - for the same reasons
Fender champs, princetons, and deluxes for the obvious reasons

Sorry to be so vague, just too many reasons to list.
Hey Slappy, welcome to the AGF. Nice gear!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Hey Dru, thanks for the welcome and the props, it's just a partial list. Believe me, my gear far exceeds my play level. I just really love the guitar and everything about it. Thanks again
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I bought a poorly made GTX Les Paul copy because I liked Slash. Had a good sound extremely high action to compensate for bad fretjob and poorly planed fingerboard.

I once had a Fender Urge bass, which was the Stu Hamm signature. I could never get good action out of it and the pre-amp was very hot sounding.

Other than that, I've done my own thing. I like Jaco, so I got a polyester coated fretless bass, but it's not a Fender and it has Bartolini P/J pickups. I like Larry Carlton's sound and found that a Zendrive does a decent job at getting that particular OD tone. Stuff like that.

I almost got a Neil Schon signature Les Paul because a Les Paul with a Sustainer pickup and a Floyd Rose was basically a dream guitar of mine. It was expensive as hell and Gibson wouldn't even let me pay extra for a quilt top. Before I could even reconsider, the model was discontinued and he went with PRS.
Slash has a huge following for his tone. He was the first Artist that had his name on a Marshall amp (he has a couple of Marshall signature amps), not to mention his Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul signature guitars. I bought a used Epiphone Slash guitar not because of his name on the guitar but because of those Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups in it.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Slappy,

That is awesome! Can you tell us a little bit about them? Why do you have two of them?

They're way out of my price range but dreaming is free.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Gear is a tuff call. I always loved Vai tones, but was already a Carvin guy. You have to appreciate the strat tones of the greats. Zappa Carvin? ha had to go there
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 AM

Default Heroes

Did someone mentioned HEROES ?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Ricfreak, what an amazing display of guitars!!! I've seen the pic before on another thread. Is this your guitar room?

Whos' the guitarist pictured behind the to Les Paul, next to Joe Satriani? Is it Jimmy Page?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Ricfreak, what an amazing display of guitars!!! I've seen the pic before on another thread. Is this your guitar room?

Whos' the guitarist pictured behind the to Les Paul, next to Joe Satriani? Is it Jimmy Page?
Thank you Sir. Yes, its my little guitar shrine in my little apartment.
There are a couple more 'heroes' not up there due to space limitation.....for example, BB King (Lucille), Al DiMeola (Prism).

You are right , behind The LP is Jimmy Page. Gibson Jimmy Page No.2
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Like many, in terms of overdriven tones, early Larry Carlton playing his Gibson ES-335 through a Fender Tweed Deluxe on Steely Dan sessions and later on saturated blooming tones by him on a Mesa Boogie Mark I in his early solo work are quite influential.

Haunting, scooped clean blackface blues tones of Robben Ford playing a Fender Telecaster through a Fender Super Reverb or Stevie Ray Vaughan playing a Fender Stratocaster with a Vibroverb are also things that I go after.

In terms of jazz, what's not to like about Wes Montegomery's thumb on a Gibson L5 through a Fender Twin or Howard Alden playing a 7-string Benedetto through a Polytone. I also love swing guitar tones and bluesier T-Bone tones from guys like Duke Robillard playing an Epiphone Zephyr Regent through a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

What is interesting, is you don't need the exact guitars and amps to go after your influences (you'd be better off with 1/2 of their talent!). They do however provide inspiration when dialing in a guitar/amp sound and how you feel when you play.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-07-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 AM

ADK - agreed. When I first started looking for an electric, after 40 years without one, I considered a Les Paul (Brian Robertson,Scott Gorham, Slash), a Gibson SG (Angus), a Rickebacker (Hootie). But the guitar that I always went back to was a Butterscotch Tele, due to my all time hero Springsteen, and also Mike Campbell. Is the iconic Springsteen one a converted Esquire though?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Hero gear

The president of be bop. Joe Pass played mostly Gibson 175's which are waaay outta my price range, so I have and love his Epiphone signature model. The Joe Pass EmperorII. Great for jazz & rockabilly and the price on new ones is right. Mine is a 1999 Samick made and she's a beaut'.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 04-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Hey Everyone. Have you every bought any electric guitar gear because your hero used it? That would include guitar, amp, pedal, etc.

What gear did you keep and what did you get rid of, or do not use?
jimmy page and the les paul. couldn't afford a std burst so i found a beat up gold plate 71' black beauty with 2 pu's. it's been with me for decades.

had a cry baby once but i tossed it (literally) for a morely bad horsie. not as classic sounding, but with only one moving part (the pedal), it's a whole species apart reliability wise.

i don't really use a lot of pedals except for the wah, and a flanger. so whatever he used i don't.

page rocked marshall's live, but i don't like them and never wanted one. i have a line 6 flextone and currently use a custom, the modern hi-gain, and the rectified settings. need to find a foot switch for that thing though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars