The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Default Point Taken

I'll try to use paragraphs more in my writing. After all we're not being charged by the page.

I agree about the pick-up replacement option. I spoke with Taylor about replacing the SB pick-ups with another brand and they said they doubted I could find a luthier who could do it. Now, I don't really believe that. It's not brain surgery. But, he really didn't answer me when I asked if using another companies pick-ups would void my guitar's warranty.

I had already stated that you could actually look at this as an opportunity to become creative. But, as you state, that isn't the point. Why should I have to find a luthier who can put in another brand pick-up when I bought the instrument from a company which stated that I could use their interchangable loaded pickgaurd, specifically designed for this model guitar? And again, there is the Warranty issue.

As for the T5 neck, I tried the T5 but don't remember much about the neck, except thinking it was comfortable. I really like the SB neck just the way they made it. String articulation is really easy on them, or at least mine.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 AM

Default New Newsletter

Taylor just sent out its electronic newsletter. No mention about the discontinuation of the SB program. In fact, you can still get to the solid Body section but can't enter it without a password. I know I had registered for a password years ago but I don't remember it. That makes me think what's on there that they don't want everyone to know. As an owner of a SB, I really must find a way in there so I can read what's going on. Are there parts available only to those who have a registered password? They know the cats out of the bag. Their own Service personnel tell you the line is no longer available, nor are the pickgaurds. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Can anyone from Taylor out here help me figure this out?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 AM

What's so different about Taylors pickups? I can't see why any other brand wouldn't work...
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Pickups

If you read the story from the beginning, Taylor supposedly found a new and improved way of making electric guitar pickups. According to them, it was the development of the pickup which actually spurred them on to develop the solid body line in the first place. Hence, they purport to have a different, better pickup than other stock guitars.

I know that's what the PR people put out. I don't know if there's actually anything to this or not. It wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned, to put someone else's pickups in their guitars. Except that the service department told me I'd have a hard time doing it. I'm not sure why. And there are questions about voiding the warranty that haven't been answered.

This is also a problem because along with the "Newly developed Pickup" was the newly created loaded pickgaurd system. This was supposedly going to allow Taylor Solid body users to plug in and play just about any pickup configuration imaginable. They actually had eight different combos available. But, now you see 'em now you don't. This is why many of us bought the Taylor solid body in the first place. I could have one guitar and plug in a different pickgard, giving me essentially a new guitar. So, you see, this is why I'm disturbed by the way this all went down and the silence on the part of Taylor regarding the associated problems. I think they should support existing Taylor SB owners with at least a few months of loaded pickgard availability. They didn't announce the product cancellation, which didn't allow us to react by buying what we wanted before it was too late.

Add to this, the vague or lack of information that has been released by Taylor regarding this issue. I have been told the line is discontinued and the pickgards are no longer available. I then was told that the product line was removed because they were "redesigning it." Then the latest e-Newsletter still allows access to the Solid Body product section but you need a password to enter it.

It's frustrating because, there could be options I as a Taylor owner am not aware of because its not being discussed by Service personnel or it's locked away for those who have a password. Mine, by the way, doesn't work.

Given the promise these guitars offered in flexabilty, the cost, and the poor communications, it adds up to a problem. If there is some way to get the pickgards with the different pickup configurations, there should be some means of obtaining this information. I wish someone from Taylor would check in and straighten this all out for us.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM

Default Facebook

i just posted a message concerning this whole issue on the Taylor Facebook Page. It was relegated to an "other comments type section." I'm sure it will disappear in less than a few hours. Man, what gives with these guys? It just doesn't seem like I'm dealing with he same wonderful company I always have. They would be all over a customers concerns before. I'm going to continue waiting patiently, but I've got a bad feeling about this? I hope they aren't taking their eye off the customer. That would be tragic.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
If you read the story from the beginning, Taylor supposedly found a new and improved way of making electric guitar pickups. According to them, it was the development of the pickup which actually spurred them on to develop the solid body line in the first place. Hence, they purport to have a different, better pickup than other stock guitars.

I know that's what the PR people put out. I don't know if there's actually anything to this or not. It wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned, to put someone else's pickups in their guitars. Except that the service department told me I'd have a hard time doing it. I'm not sure why. And there are questions about voiding the warranty that haven't been answered.

This is also a problem because along with the "Newly developed Pickup" was the newly created loaded pickgaurd system. This was supposedly going to allow Taylor Solid body users to plug in and play just about any pickup configuration imaginable. They actually had eight different combos available. But, now you see 'em now you don't. This is why many of us bought the Taylor solid body in the first place. I could have one guitar and plug in a different pickgard, giving me essentially a new guitar. So, you see, this is why I'm disturbed by the way this all went down and the silence on the part of Taylor regarding the associated problems. I think they should support existing Taylor SB owners with at least a few months of loaded pickgard availability. They didn't announce the product cancellation, which didn't allow us to react by buying what we wanted before it was too late.

Add to this, the vague or lack of information that has been released by Taylor regarding this issue. I have been told the line is discontinued and the pickgards are no longer available. I then was told that the product line was removed because they were "redesigning it." Then the latest e-Newsletter still allows access to the Solid Body product section but you need a password to enter it.

It's frustrating because, there could be options I as a Taylor owner am not aware of because its not being discussed by Service personnel or it's locked away for those who have a password. Mine, by the way, doesn't work.

Given the promise these guitars offered in flexabilty, the cost, and the poor communications, it adds up to a problem. If there is some way to get the pickgards with the different pickup configurations, there should be some means of obtaining this information. I wish someone from Taylor would check in and straighten this all out for us.
Ok, I understand that, but I mean, in reality what stops you wiring in a different pickup? The design may be different but I'm guessing the actual wiring and pots work in the same way as on any other guitar. You may need to find some special connectors (I'm guessing switching pickguards/pickups was a solderless task) so all you would need to do is connect the special connectors to a different brand of pickup. If it's the whole pickguard that needs replacing then it'd be even easier as you'd just have to have the solderless connectors to connect it to the jack.

But, in a previous post you said a Taylor rep said it would be difficult, that's the bit I don't understand without seeing the wiring. Seems we are both confused by this. As for voiding the warranty, I can guarantee it will if you alter their wiring at all, that's just the nature of the game. If you can return it to spec though before a warranty claim they'd never know...

By the way, it's not just the newsletter. I found the pages with a google search but it asked for a password. I believe it's actually a webmaster password you would need and really they should have pulled the pages from the web, I don't think the user community is allowed access at all. However, the pages still being up does suggest that they may well be planning to re-introduce the models.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Default Newsletter

I think you are right about the Taylor Web page. I hope you don't think I'm making a big issue out of nothing. It really confusing to see that the web pages are available but not being able to access them. As i said, this is not the Taylor I've known and it's really sloppy service wise. I own three Taylor Guitars, which took years of savings to procure. I'm used to first rate customer service from them.

Yes, I know I would be able to modify my guitar in some way. Yes, I'm sure that being plug and play might actually make it easier to replace the pickups. I doubt that it would be that hard to do. It might, however be very expensive and I'd be buying something that I theoretically should be able to do in the simplest of ways, without risking the warranty, or having to put everything back the way it was in-order to keep the warranty.

These are not cheap guitars. I thought they were worth it in the aggregate, since they specific features offered were extremely attractive. EX. the inter-changable pickguards. I don't think I would have purchased it, if it weren't for this feature. Does that mean everyone bought the guitar for this reason? Of course not! But it was a factor in my decision and I feel abandoned by Taylor right now. They should at least explain what they are doing and why. I'd love to know if there will be an improved line of solid Bodies coming out. I don't think that's the case since the original line was very well conceived and apparently didn't become profitable enough to sustain. I still think they should inform us of what has occurred out of common courtesy and sound customer service quality.

I know there are people out there who are frankly tired of reading my complaints. But this is a guitar forum. Where else could I express my concerns? I've tried Taylor Service to no avail. And it would be simple Taylor to ameliorate the situation. Guess, the customer just isn't that important- at least in this particular case.

Last edited by Sword Bringer; 01-25-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM

Default Solid bodies

i spoke with the local Taylor Authorized Service Center. He said he doesn't even service them anymore. Why did taylor Service give me his number? What's happening to them?

I probably will sell the Taylor if anyone will have it. I just bought a Godin Icon 2 Convertible. It has Duncan P-Rails on it. There's more than one way to get many guitar sounds. P-Rails can be set to P-90's, Single coil or humbucking pickups. There's 15 different combos you can get. 30 if you include the Revoicer, but that's cheating.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
i spoke with the local Taylor Authorized Service Center. He said he doesn't even service them anymore. Why did taylor Service give me his number? What's happening to them?

I probably will sell the Taylor if anyone will have it. I just bought a Godin Icon 2 Convertible. It has Duncan P-Rails on it. There's more than one way to get many guitar sounds. P-Rails can be set to P-90's, Single coil or humbucking pickups. There's 15 different combos you can get. 30 if you include the Revoicer, but that's cheating.
If you are selling I may be interested. Can you PM me specifics on the guitar and pics if you decide to sell? Thanks.

Go SPURS Go
Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM

I agree fully with the OP in that making a business decision to cease production of a particular product is one thing, but not communicating and apparently immediately ceasing all parts production and servicing is something else. The way this line ended is not at all what I expected out of this company.
It seems completely out of character to me.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 01-31-2014, 11:35 AM

Well I've said this before and I'll reiterate. Since they continue to make the T3 which uses the same pots and has similar pickup options I can't imagine parts not being available. My guess there has been some misinformation given - which is out of character but does happen.

Go SPURS Go
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM

Default Mis-information

I hoped it was just misinformation at the beginning. But now, two weeks into this, I've spoke with two CA Taylor Reps and five distributors from all over the US. I can assure you, this is not misinformation. Also, there are people on this forum and others, including the Unofficial Taylor Forum who are experiencing the same thing. They are emailing me and you can read the posts for yourself.

I found it hard to believe that Taylor would be like this also. That's why I'm so concerned about this. I, probably like you, have been a long time Taylor devotee and have experienced excellent service and response to issues from Taylor. Believe! It's not the same company we used to depend on.

I find this even more upsetting since they still toot their horn about how great they are with customer service. they are always patting themselves on the back in Wood and Steel and the e-mail updates, giving example after example of customer gushing over how great the service is.

I'm even more upset now because I just played my Taylor Classic SB a few minutes ago. Fabulous guitar! One of the best necks and the best action I've seen on an electric. It's a well engineered product! I wouldn't care if it were run of the mill and could easily be replaced. I'm thinking I might hold on to it and see if my luthier can put different pickups in it. He told me he'd look at it, but that Taylor components are unique. This is a different animal. It was marketed that way! It's true. It has a new concept bridge, a completely new Neck attachment system and the wiring is unlike any other guitar. That's why I bought it. All the hype was true! They did not misrepresent this guitar. They just lost sight of the customer and their needs. What a shame!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 AM

Default Great solid Bodies

I was going to sell my Taylor Solid Body. But, after playing it for awhile, there's no way that I will part with this outstanding instrument. I will play it and enjoy it. I will also hope that Taylor will have learned something from the public reaction they seem to be experiencing and not do something like this again. I don't mean they shouldn't stop production on a product. Every company does, and has the right to do that.

I hope the next time they let the public know what they are planning to do. Taylor has still not said a word about it. Once the word got out that these accessories were no longer going to be available all loaded pickgards vanished in days. Imagine how many would have been sold if Taylor announced their intentions! Taylor Solid body owners should have been told that there was a limited opportunity to buy something they needed and there should have been some stock of these pickgards available for, maybe a month after the announcement.

Not only did Taylor miss some potential sales, but it left a bad taste in people's mouths who expected more from their beloved company.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM

I called today to try and get a couple of screws for the bridge in mine. I was told that "these parts are for original owners only" now. Apparently, they have some parts, but ARE NOT selling them to just anyone. When I questioned him about being discontinued, he would just keep repeating "These models have been discontinued" to every question I asked.

Also, I noticed that Taylor added a recorded greeting to their customer service number. When I took a tour at the factory a few years ago, this was one thing that Bob Taylor himself was bragging on. "When you call Gibson or Martin, you'll get a prompt that you have to go through, but not here, you'll get to talk to a live human being."

I feel like the solidbody owners have been thrown out in the rain. What has happened to the Taylor we all know and love?!?!?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Thanks!

Showngo,

I'm really happy to find someone who really understands what I'm going through! I don't care that a guitar company discontinued a line. I'm concerned that Taylor didn't have the common courtesy to let SB owner know what they were planning. I wouldn't be surprized if Ibanez or ESP did this. But this is Taylor! - The Icon of Customer Service and the American Way!

Bob promises no voicemail answers, but they've gone into bunker mode over this. They purport to be the best there is at satisfying the customer and anticipating their needs. They fill their Wood and Steel letters with gushing Taylor devotees singing their praises. Well, they're showing feet of clay over this. Unless they do something to fix it, I'm going to have to look at all their breast beating as self agrandizing hype. Where's the customer in all of this!

Bob and company made some fine products and did live up to their claims in the past. I'm grateful for that. But, alas, all things must pass! I'm just going to look at them like all the rest from now on. I'm sure, like you, there are many others who feel the same way. Taylor understands marketing. They know that one dissatisfied customer tells ten people about their negative experience. This can snowball if they let it. Or they could stem the tide and provide a window of opportunity for Solid Body owners to get what they deserve - excellent Taylor customer service.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars