The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Default Can you email clips?

I went back to a Zoom H2. I see I have a bunch of MP3 bit sizes. Which one should I use. I want to email some clips to friends. If you have a better idea let me know

When they stop laughing they might be able to help.

Thanks

Lou

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM

Hello Lou,

I'm not familiar with the Zoom, but if your question is which bit rate you should choose to email, probably 128 is a good compromise. It'll sound fine, but compress to something reasonable to email.

'Course, in this day and age of near-plentiful broadband, you could choose 320 and probably send that along.

Lastly, if you're curious about what bit rate generates what file size, you can type this calculation into Google:

XX minutes * YYY kbps

Replace "XX" with the length of your song in minutes
Replace "YYY" with the desired bit rate

So, if you decide to encode a 4 1/2 minute song at 256 kbps, type into the Google search box:

4.5 minutes * 256 kbps

You shouldn't even need to hit return to see the answer (8.4375 megabytes) Google should display the answer the moment you enter that data. Change either variable, and Google updates the calc immediately.

If, for some reason, you don't see the result, just hit the Search button, and your calculation will be first on the list.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_strumalot View Post
Hello Lou,

I'm not familiar with the Zoom, but if your question is which bit rate you should choose to email, probably 128 is a good compromise. It'll sound fine, but compress to something reasonable to email.

'Course, in this day and age of near-plentiful broadband, you could choose 320 and probably send that along.

Lastly, if you're curious about what bit rate generates what file size, you can type this calculation into Google:

XX minutes * YYY kbps

Replace "XX" with the length of your song in minutes
Replace "YYY" with the desired bit rate

So, if you decide to encode a 4 1/2 minute song at 256 kbps, type into the Google search box:

4.5 minutes * 256 kbps

You shouldn't even need to hit return to see the answer (8.4375 megabytes) Google should display the answer the moment you enter that data. Change either variable, and Google updates the calc immediately.

If, for some reason, you don't see the result, just hit the Search button, and your calculation will be first on the list.

Hope this helps!
Yes it does help. That is interesting about calculating the file size. I will pay attention to that.

Thanks for taking the time.

Lou

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Ain't google great!

I don’t know about doing that 4.5 minutes * 256 kbps calculation in your head though:

you divide 256 kilobits per second by eight to get 32 kilobytes per second

then you multiply 32 kilobytes per second by 270 to get 8640 kilobytes for the 4.5 minutes

then you multiply 8640 by 1000/1024 to get 8.4375 megabytes

In any case the limit for file size on email is usually 10 megabytes.
I suggest using the a 256 bit rate or higher and emailing the songs one at a time if needed.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Ain't google great!

I don’t know about doing that 4.5 minutes * 256 kbps calculation in your head though:

you divide 256 kilobits per second by eight to get 32 kilobytes per second

then you multiply 32 kilobytes per second by 270 to get 8640 kilobytes for the 4.5 minutes

then you multiply 8640 by 1000/1024 to get 8.4375 megabytes

In any case the limit for file size on email is usually 10 megabytes.
I suggest using the a 256 bit rate or higher and emailing the songs one at a time if needed.
Thanks Rck. I was wondering wher the cut off point was for decent quality.

I just spent a few minutes listining to you music. Nice, I like your style and playing.

Lou

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD