The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 12:54 PM

I will post my observation here and on the HD35 and how it compares to D18 and Hummingbird
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM

HD35 came yesterday. Holly Crap Batman. What a wonderful sounding instrument. It sounds like a 12 string. So resonant, so lush. Mellow tones are there. Hit it hard and the volume goes up big time. Keeps on giving. I am in acoustic heaven. I switch from the D18 to HD35 to Hummingbird, back to HD35. Huge open chords ringing thru the house freely and one after the other, because wife and kids are not home.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 PM

Default ok which one is now your fav?

Do you have a new favorite guitar now?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM

I love all of them. I really do not have a preferred sound but it is great to have the tonal variety. The HD35 is a loud rich lush guitar. D18 is a bright, more metallic version of the Hummingbird. Hummingbird is sweet, mature, and also in its own way lush.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkolu View Post
I love all of them. I really do not have a preferred sound but it is great to have the tonal variety. The HD35 is a loud rich lush guitar. D18 is a bright, more metallic version of the Hummingbird. Hummingbird is sweet, mature, and also in its own way lush.
You're a lucky guy. Sounds like you know how to pick the good ones. Do you have a neck preference? I like the low profile neck, but was wondering if there is much adjustment going from the D-18 wider neck to the others? I've played the D-18 and like the sound, but still liked the regular low profile a little better, I think.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Personally, I'm yet to year anything tonally different in the Martin range over and above the D28. (More bells and whistles but that's it).

Don't get me wrong though, the D35 is a mighty fine guitar but the D28 is where it stops for me.
I'm played and owned a bunch too, and I tend to agree with you on the D-28. For all around playing, versatility, and value, it's hard to beat at any price. I love mine.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:42 AM

There are also trial periods if you do buy one. As long as it is in pristine condition and returned in the same packaging all you need to do is pay the return shipping. You might even be able to swing a deal on that if you buy the guitar you are going to keep from the same place.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobert955 View Post
You're a lucky guy. Sounds like you know how to pick the good ones. Do you have a neck preference? I like the low profile neck, but was wondering if there is much adjustment going from the D-18 wider neck to the others? I've played the D-18 and like the sound, but still liked the regular low profile a little better, I think.
Thanks. Been playing so long that, though I do notice a difference I adjust pretty quickly. I do not play anything too intricate or complicated either. Just chord strums and some single line melodies.I also have an 0-16 NY from Martin that has the widest neck of all.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Maybe this will help a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ooWKYFutM
I would say the Martin has a little more full sound in the base whereas the Gibson has more treble.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Rosewood tends to have a lot of overtones. It always seems muddled - not muddy- to me when strummed. If you hear zingy then maybe that is what you're hearing. Personally, having tried a fee rosewood guitars, I just cannot get on with them. I think the d18 is a different beast to the hummingbird.
Yep that's precisely why I got rid of my D-28 and kept my D-18.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion