The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

The straight B&D one has one downside - since it's symmetrical and the buttons feel very smiilar, I can't ever tell which direction it's going to go. So I stuck a little rubber bumper on one button so I know, by feel whether I'm going CW or CCW

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 PM

I use the Ernie Ball winder. It’s the one that takes batteries and it’s one of the best guitar related purchases I’ve made.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I also have the B&D straight winder with an attachment. I’ll second that battery changes would be quicker than battery charging with intermittent use (a positive) and the although the push buttons are convenient, it’s not easy to tell which direction you’re going (a negative). Overall, I like it as it is much more convenient than a manual winder. I’ll add that I wish it had a slower speed option. The thing spins fast! And although it’s probably harmless to the tuning machines I wonder if the weren’t designed to turn that quickly.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
I also have the B&D straight winder with an attachment. I’ll second that battery changes would be quicker than battery charging with intermittent use (a positive) and the although the push buttons are convenient, it’s not easy to tell which direction you’re going (a negative). Overall, I like it as it is much more convenient than a manual winder. I’ll add that I wish it had a slower speed option. The thing spins fast! And although it’s probably harmless to the tuning machines I wonder if the weren’t designed to turn that quickly.
T-ighten on one side L-oosen on the other side. Problem solved

Old 12-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I just use the adaptor with a cheap Black and Decker electric screwdriver from Walmart or Lowe's. It works perfectly.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontgomery View Post
I use the Ernie Ball winder. It’s the one that takes batteries and it’s one of the best guitar related purchases I’ve made.
Same here. Love it.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The straight B&D one has one downside - since it's symmetrical and the buttons feel very smiilar, I can't ever tell which direction it's going to go. So I stuck a little rubber bumper on one button so I know, by feel whether I'm going CW or CCW

I use that same one and I took a sharpie and wrote “T” for tighten and “L” for loosen next to the appropriate button.

(EDIT)--mine is just like the photo above by Haasome. I didn't see that when I posted.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Another satisfied Ernie Ball power winder user - this one...

Old 12-19-2017, 10:24 AM

+1 on the Ernie Ball. It gets the job done.

Just be careful when using any battery powered winder as you can easily scrape your headstock if you don't pay attention.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion