The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have heard from Howard Klepper: total loss. Very sad news.
I will join in here, what a heavy and heartbreaking blow to hear about this. My prayers are also with the many who have lost their lives in this one. Thanks for posting this Bruce. Words do not suffice.

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 PM

So very sorry to learn of this news. Thank you for the update....just awful........
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-10-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I believe the Klepper's are financially secure, if not we will do the usual stuff. Our emotional support would be the useful thing at the moment, IMO.

Well they certainly have that, that is a no brainer....contact me if you think of anything else please.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Howard

Our thoughts here are with them there. I hope a silver lining will appear for them once the clouds clear away.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:49 AM

Howard's loss is just heartbreaking ... if there are any fundraising endeavors ( such as benefit concerts) planned in the future, hopefully they will be able to be publicized on the AGF without contravening any rules.

I really hope that Howard does re-establish himself as a builder, and resumes his posting on the AGF in the fullness of time. I always look forward to reading every post he makes on here ... invariably accurate, succinct, and well written.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Just so folks know, there is a separate thread open in the "Open Mic" forum specifically relating to Howard's situation...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=485644
Old 10-11-2017, 05:55 AM

I'm so very sorry to hear this but trust and hope Howard will rebound!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Positive thoughts gong out to all who are suffering during this fire. Luckily my area dodged a bullet with fires close, but doing no significant damage.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Just so folks know, there is a separate thread open in the "Open Mic" forum specifically relating to Howard's situation...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=485644
thanks - I didn't catch that yesterday.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Robert Lee, an electric luthier who is also well known as he worked at LMI for many years is also now reported to have lost his home and shop in Napa. I have not yet heard about Dimitri Tenev in Potter Valley.

I just learned of evacuation on Cavedale Road in Valley of the Moon which almost certainly includes Tom Peterson. Also known as "Kerfing Tom", his rural shop is responsible for the kerfed linings many of us, including myself, use in our work. Tom was an original partner with Todd Taggart when they acquired LMI from Bill Lewis Music Supply. Or maybe he's moved, as I haven't heard from him in a couple of years; one can hope.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Keep your eyes and ears open and stay safe .
Just in case you might be wondering , I could be convinced to store your wood safely for you should the need arise .
Old 10-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Robert Lee, an electric luthier who is also well known as he worked at LMI for many years is also now reported to have lost his home and shop in Napa. I have not yet heard about Dimitri Tenev in Potter Valley.

I just learned of evacuation on Cavedale Road in Valley of the Moon which almost certainly includes Tom Peterson. Also known as "Kerfing Tom", his rural shop is responsible for the kerfed linings many of us, including myself, use in our work. Tom was an original partner with Todd Taggart when they acquired LMI from Bill Lewis Music Supply. Or maybe he's moved, as I haven't heard from him in a couple of years; one can hope.
It would be a happy miracle if Tom Peterson's place survived. The Tubbs fire engulfed nearly the length of his road.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

A bit of positive: Dimitri Tenev evac'd successfully and his property including horses has survived. On a more self centered note, the wind did not come up last night and real progress has reportedly been made on controlling the most nearby fire, called the Nuns until it merged with another and now has a more technical name that I have not learned. Anyway, Linda and I are feeling more relaxed. Others are still in serious straights and the trouble has not yet passed.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
A bit of positive: Dimitri Tenev evac'd successfully and his property including horses has survived. On a more self centered note, the wind did not come up last night and real progress has reportedly been made on controlling the most nearby fire, called the Nuns until it merged with another and now has a more technical name that I have not learned. Anyway, Linda and I are feeling more relaxed. Others are still in serious straights and the trouble has not yet passed.
Thanks for the news on Dinitri, Bruce. I have met Tom several times as we have a mutual friend so I will check in and see what his situation is.

It has been quite a week of living on the edge and it will continue here. Yesterday, as a precaution, I took my two favorite custom guitars over to a friend's house in Marin - 20 miles to the south. If we do have to evacuate here on the east side, I know that those will already be taken care of. Obviously guitars can be replaced, but with some advanced notice, no reason not to get them to a safe location ahead of time.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 10-13-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

We are letting our guard down some more, hopefully we will not be blind sided in the night. The air is just terrible, and I went to my Dr for inhalers as, like many luthiers, I have bronchial issues from 50 years of dust.

Today I put the first coat of varnish on Vic's 000. Hopefully it will dry properly and I will have pics tomorrow. The color is really nice IMO.

Then I joined the plates for Bob Berger's 4th Sexauer. I imagine he will start a thread for it if he hasn't already. It will be J 185 like. The woods are Journeyman grade Adirondack over Australian Blackwood. Unless Bob get excited (again) it will be trimmed out with Amazon Rosewood in pretty much my standard format. We are talking about an interesting 12th fret inlay, and that's about it for bells and whistles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop