The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 12:31 PM

Cool Help with my Yamaha 12 String (Identification/product questions)

Hello and please forgive me for not having registered sooner and contributed to the site. AGF has been a nice resource for me several times in the past and I appreciate anyone who can help me with these two questions.

I have a Yamaha 12 string that I want to know more about. There are some nice articles and Yamaha itself has a good explanation of their serial numbering system. However, mine is a 6 digit number that starts with 3. Everything I read says that the 3 would represent either the years '73, 83, 93, 2003, etc. However, the only years I can find with the 6 digit serial in my model number are '94 and above. So, I am somewhat flummoxed as to the year of this guitar.

The stamp inside the guitar (located on the heel of the neck) says LL- 5-12 There is a space between the 5 that nearly led me to believe it was an LL-15 12 string, because it looks like some of them from the 80's. Anyway, it says LL-5-12 and then it has the serial of 305352.

Burned into the wood holding the back two pieces together, is the YAMAHA name. Burned very tiny, but visible, on one of the top braces, is a cool looking character, but I don't know the language or meaning. I'd love to know though!

The grain on the back side looks the same on the outside and the inside, leading me to believe it is a solid mahogany back. But the grain on the sides doesn't seem to match. Could this have laminate sides and a back and top that are solid?

Also, as is visible in the photos, it has some areas of finish hazing or clouding. I really want to remove the haze, but I have no idea what product(s) to trust. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond. Thanks for taking the time!

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE PHOTOS: https://goo.gl/photos/Dv41dyHYECLdGA1v9

Last edited by RonProctor; 08-16-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Linked to photos.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM

I would have expected two letters before the six digit number. One letter representing year code, and the other month code. And the first two number "30" to mean the 30th of the month.

But Yamaha serial numbers don't seem to be consistent.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Default Exactly

You are right Kaos. Their guide to determining manufacture date says that there are 6 digit numbers, but not in any of the dates that would match up with my serial. If mine were 400567 or something, then I would know it was a '94. But it can't be a '93 because Yamaha says it didn't do 6 digit serials that year. Ugh.

I do really hope to learn what that little symbol burned in to the bracing is. I have owned other Yamaha's and I've never seen that. Also, if I can figure out how to get rid of the haze in the finish, I will be a happy man.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:25 PM

You could try asking Yamaha. I don't know if this email address still works:

[email protected]
Guild GAD25
Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonProctor View Post
You are right Kaos. Their guide to determining manufacture date says that there are 6 digit numbers, but not in any of the dates that would match up with my serial. If mine were 400567 or something, then I would know it was a '94. But it can't be a '93 because Yamaha says it didn't do 6 digit serials that year. Ugh.

I do really hope to learn what that little symbol burned in to the bracing is. I have owned other Yamaha's and I've never seen that. Also, if I can figure out how to get rid of the haze in the finish, I will be a happy man.
Actually the Year and Month are typically letters. So it is letter, letter, then 6 digit number.
Guild GAD25

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yamaha, yamaha 12 string, yamaha ll, yamaha ll-5, yamaha ll-5-12