The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
Hey Johnny, Where are you stashing all these great guitars??. How about some pix?. Hal
LOL... I'll have to get some. I only have five of the Cordobas at the moment. the F10, GK Pro blanca, C12, Mini R, and a Guitalele with cutaway and electronics that I never play. The ones that I've had and sold (or returned in the case of this thread) are GK Pro negra, GK Pro blanca (my first one), FCWE Reissue, 55FCE maple, 55FCE Ltd ziricote, and GK Studio blanca. I have taken some group shots, but none of all eleven of the ones I've owned... because I didn't have all of them at the same time.

My next flamenco (or nylon string period) is likely to be a Johnny Walker (same name, no relation). I love my Cordobas, but it's time to step up to a hand-build instrument. I've spoken with Johnny via email and he seems like a very nice guy, with a great reputation. The fact that I would have a guitar with "my" name on it is gravy!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Those Johnny Walker guitar look nice.. But I'm not sure I am capable of handling French Polished guitars... LOL I'd be interested to hear what you think of the feel of the necks with the carbon fiber truss rod too.

From his website;

All my guitars are totally French polished by me. The necks are Spanish cedar or mahogany with a carbon fiber/epoxy bar neck reinforcement.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Those Johnny Walker guitar look nice.. But I'm not sure I am capable of handling French Polished guitars... LOL I'd be interested to hear what you think of the feel of the necks with the carbon fiber truss rod too.

From his website;

All my guitars are totally French polished by me. The necks are Spanish cedar or mahogany with a carbon fiber/epoxy bar neck reinforcement.
Not a Walker, but I have a carbon fiber rod in one of my guitars and it is very stable and very light. Really no different in feel from the no truss rod models I own. By comparison, I can feel a little extra neck mass in the ebony truss rod model own.

I also have one guitar that is shellac French polished and, in my experience, it is more delicate than poly or lacquer. It is easier to dent and scratch, and the finish will wear thin at friction points especially when it is applied thin. I tend to be careful about bare arm contact on the bout so I can't say how it resists skin chemicals and sweat. It is a nice looking finish and somehow the wear and tear doesn't look that out of place.

I always read that it is easy to repair and touch up. Even though I live in a city, there is no one where I live that could touch the quality of the French polish applied to the guitar so I would have to send it off if it really needed finish work. I am still not convinced it adds that much sonic value but it still remains a standard for a certain level of nylon string guitar. The French polish guitar is the best sounding nylon I own but there are likely other factors at play besides finish.

Enjoy the Johnny Walker and good luck with the mend.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Looks like I'll get my eleventh Cordoba/GK Pro negra after all. Just won an eBay auction for a new one, with cracks near the output jack. Guitar appears to be mint except for those. I can reinforce the hole and fix that. Won it for $570 shipped with Humicase. Auction started at $399 and was $415 until the last few minutes. Would have been nice to get it for under $500... but I still got a great deal on another GK Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical