The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Visit to Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse Wi

My wife and I were in LaCrosse the last couple of days and stopped by Dave's guitars. All I can say is 'WOW'. Amazing stuff. At one point I grabbed a nice looking guitar off the wall and tried to strum and realized it was a lefty, then I looked up and noticed the whole section was lefties. I've never seen that many electric or acoustic left handed guitars. Usually I might see one or two.

I liked my visit so much I went back the next day. I also went upstairs to see Dave's vintage collection and counted close to 400 guitars. I asked the clerk how many guitars they carry in the shop and he said around 2500 give or take a few. Not sure how many other shops rival the sheer volume of guitars.

But the one thing that grab me was a Collings Mandolin (MT model - A style body). The thing was super light and very resonant - I could feel it vibrate against my body as I was playing it. It had what I'd call a real soft action, it took very little grip effort to play.

I kept thinking about it on my way back home, that's for sure!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Default I can relate

Great place. We stopped last Summer and I spent an afternoon playing whatever I wanted. Largest selection of guitars, brands and quality I've ever seen. The private vintage collection is unreal. The wall of flame top Les Pauls also blew my mind. Good thing It's a 4 hr drive!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM

I make the trip to Dave's at least once a year. Great guitars and great people. The La Crosse area is always a nice place to spend a long weekend.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM

bad thing for me is it is only an hour drive a way from me! I was there today at around 1 pm. I was in the acoustic room for a bit then in electric. Shortest stay I have had lol. I have spent way too much money there over the years lol. a feww weeks back I bought a PRS P22 Electric. Amazing guitar. I played a real nice PRS Acoustic too today!.. But left it there . I came home to my 2010 Taylor 816CE that I bought new from dave`s. Kind of funny how many are floored by the place and for me it my local guitar store!!

Come to think of it not sure if that is good or bad!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM

I've only bought a case from them (although a pretty cool blue tweed Fender/G&G case), but the experience was excellent. I'm really tempted to call them and ask about a Santa Cruz OM/PW.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
... At one point I grabbed a nice looking guitar off the wall and tried to strum and realized it was a lefty, then I looked up and noticed the whole section was lefties. ...
The last time I was at Dave's, I walked out with a left-handed Rickenbacker 660/12.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=icuker;3238078]My wife and I were in LaCrosse the last couple of days and stopped by Dave's guitars. All I can say is 'WOW'. Amazing stuff. At one point I grabbed a nice looking guitar off the wall and tried to strum and realized it was a lefty, then I looked up and noticed the whole section was lefties. I've never seen that many electric or acoustic left handed guitars. Usually I might see one or two.

/QUOTE]

**** had I had known that I would have gone there this summer when I was shopping for a new lefty acoustic
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM

One of my favorite guitar stores in the known universe.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Going to a good guitar store and playing great guitars is a total, moving experience. There is nothing quite like it for a guitar player.

It sounds like a great day!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion