The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Digital recording

I asked this question in the actual Presonus forums but no one felt inclined to answer. Either my question is to dumb or they don't know the answer.

I'm the worship leader/tech guy at my church. We have just been using the rca out of the board and into audacity to record. Sometimes it can sound decent and sometimes it sounds terrible. But that is all we have had to work with. But we are looking to upgrade and get a Firestudio, or one of the similar products.

We have a Yamaha 01V96 Digital Mixer, someone told me that since it's already Digital we can take the ADAT out from the board to the Firestudio and then into the PC. And there should be no need for the mic preamps since the board has already converted the inputs into digital.

Now I really don't know anything about sound so I don't want to buy the stuff and it not work. If we can't hook it up like that we'd have to get a snake splitter so we can send the snake to the Firestudio and the board. I'm just trying to save money and if the ADAT works that way then we wouldn't need the snake splitter.

Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALongColdWinter View Post
I asked this question in the actual Presonus forums but no one felt inclined to answer. Either my question is to dumb or they don't know the answer.

I'm the worship leader/tech guy at my church. We have just been using the rca out of the board and into audacity to record. Sometimes it can sound decent and sometimes it sounds terrible. But that is all we have had to work with. But we are looking to upgrade and get a Firestudio, or one of the similar products.

We have a Yamaha 01V96 Digital Mixer, someone told me that since it's already Digital we can take the ADAT out from the board to the Firestudio and then into the PC. And there should be no need for the mic preamps since the board has already converted the inputs into digital.

Now I really don't know anything about sound so I don't want to buy the stuff and it not work. If we can't hook it up like that we'd have to get a snake splitter so we can send the snake to the Firestudio and the board. I'm just trying to save money and if the ADAT works that way then we wouldn't need the snake splitter.

Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Thanks guys!
I think the hesitation to answer this question is the complexity of even a remotely accurate answer

You appear to be getting half answers and those in and of themselves need to corrected before you could take it much further.

Here's two or three quick ideas that would only be a step in a journey of a thousand miles.

1st) if the Yamaha (and I believe it does) has the ability to to output ADAT the question would then become how "busable" are those eight outs? If they are indeed assignable without affecting the main live mix then how would one logically assign what get's sent out those 8 outputs to the interface. 8 out's doesn't cover much ground in a live band mix. Stuff would have to be sub-mixed which is a bit of a disadvantage and that'll only work IF the Yamaha has a liberally bussing structure.

2nd) Any straight tap from a mixing board can be strident and just plain awful without some room acoustics to help. Also unless the players have complete command over their on-stage instruments direct board taps can be difficult to listen to. The element of "room" can lend a softening hand to live tap recordings.

3rd) Any facility that is serious about recording live needs to first look into a decent splitter hub and a second board. Good ones (splitter boxes) are not cheap. These also can be a bear to install and get problem free as there's titanic opportunities for grounding and phase problems ect. That said once the splitter box is in place each send from the stage is then best sent to two separate mixers via the splitter, one for FOH and one for recording.

4th) Anything shy of this scenario will present some major logistical problem. Not that you won't hit on some compromise that works.

5th) the issues you're up against could be discussed for months and it's not a curiosity that no one has a quick answer
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM

I'm not familiar with your Yamaha mixer but page 39 of the manual seems to provide an answer to your question.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...rs/01V96E1.pdf
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I'm not familiar with your Yamaha mixer but page 39 of the manual seems to provide an answer to your question.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...rs/01V96E1.pdf
Herb,

That page (I just looked) only provides for the fact that you can indeed purchase an ADAT I/O card. That of course would infer that 8 outputs from the Yamaha could be routed to a DAW without any further A/D or D/A conversion. What it does NOT say is if those 8 outs would be limited to the DAW itself or if indeed each channel could be routed to multi outs . It wouldn't do the OP any good if he could route the mic'd guitar amp to a DAW but not ALSO route it to FOH.

Without the ability to have multi output buses per channel the ADAT card provides little or virtually NO advantage.

The issue in live recording (that also must serve as live performances) is the ability to split single sources to multiple locations.

I don't see it on the Yamaha.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 PM

I have been using the Yamaha 01V series of mixers for years (currently using the latest version 01V96VCM) and it is a very flexible, although very "deep", board. It can take quite a long time of daily use to become fully aware of its capabilities, and how best to use them.

It is possible to send any input to any output (you can also perform multiple routing, so any channel could go to any number of buses/omni outputs/spdif, etc.), including the built in ADAT connection. You can also add another 8 or 16 channel of ADAT in the expansion slot.

The Firestudio will accept 16 channels of ADAT, so with an 8 channel expansion board you are good to go.

Without adding an expansion board you can still get up to 14 channels of transfer between the 01V and the Firestudio:

8 channels via ADAT
4 channels via Omni outs (to the mic/line inputs of the FS)
2 channels via SPDIF

Time to spend some quality time with your manual...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM

If you are fortunate enough to be on a Forum of friendly folks, and if you were to speak real nice to one of them that has extensive experience on this very product, and you were to provide him with your mixer input and output list...

...he could set up a project in Studio Manager (with the correct routing patches for your purpose) that could be emailed to you and uploaded into your board.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 PM

I really appreciate your answers guys. And that you actually responded.

Ron, I would be so very happy and grateful if that person would help me . I've been practically stumbling around since our sound person moved. None of us really understand all that this board does. And the manual is practically in Japanese to us. We don't even have the firestudio yet and I'm not sure when we will be getting it. But I knew I needed to figure out if we could even do what we want to do before we buy it. I could probably ask you 100 questions about why the board does this and that.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
I have been using the Yamaha 01V series of mixers for years (currently using the latest version 01V96VCM) and it is a very flexible, although very "deep", board. It can take quite a long time of daily use to become fully aware of its capabilities, and how best to use them.

It is possible to send any input to any output (you can also perform multiple routing, so any channel could go to any number of buses/omni outputs/spdif, etc.), including the built in ADAT connection. You can also add another 8 or 16 channel of ADAT in the expansion slot.

The Firestudio will accept 16 channels of ADAT, so with an 8 channel expansion board you are good to go.

Without adding an expansion board you can still get up to 14 channels of transfer between the 01V and the Firestudio:

8 channels via ADAT
4 channels via Omni outs (to the mic/line inputs of the FS)
2 channels via SPDIF

Time to spend some quality time with your manual...
Good to know Ron! I actually bought an 01V at the Anaheim NAMM show YEARS ago. The day they released it. Don't know where it got off too though.

Just so I know (and I'd guess it to be so) You can take any signal, let's use the guitar example, and route it to both the mains and the ADAT card independently yes?? And if so you must have a post and pre channel send as well??

Then of course there's the issue of submixes since there's only 8-16 out. Can you create say..8 (or 16 if there's two ADAT cards) submixes to route to the ADAT out's??
Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

I suggest you download the Quick Start guide and work through that. It is a good introduction to the different sections and functions.

Any of the 32 input channels can be routed simultaneously to any/all of the 8 Bus outputs, 8 Aux outputs, Stereo Bus, Direct out. Once you master the concept of patching and routing it is a very powerful tool. And, of course, everything can be saved to various libraries and recalled at any time.

I spent most of the afternoon today going through tech riders for upcoming festival shows and setting all of my channel patches, effects assignments, monitor sends, etc. and saving them in my laptop. When I get to the show its a simple matter to upload to the mixer and I'm good to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD