The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-21-2003, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Your intial question asked about good quality electrics. Now you are asking about budget priced electrics. They are apples and oranges. What exactly would you like to know?
"Budget priced" Have you actually looked at the prices of a new American-made Brian Moore? I haven't lately, but I seem to recall them being well over two grand...

Steve
Old 03-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Your intial question asked about good quality electrics. Now you are asking about budget priced electrics. They are apples and oranges. What exactly would you like to know?
All of the guitars I mentioned in both my original post and the second are within a price range (street) between $1000 and $1500. It was YOUR original insertion that I consider a much more expensive instrument (Standard over Studio). I hardly feel like any that I listed should be considered "budget priced" instruments and even if you think so, they aren't to me.

My question was directed toward owners of these brands who might have A/B'd them with industry standards such as the Paul and Strat. No need to patronize.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 PM

i would recommend a strat, they are inexpensive and i think they are the most versitile. I would not recommend prs, because i don't think they feel smooth or comfortable, but thats all preference.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 PM

What you're wanting is a Fender Telecaster '52 Reissue!
Carvin and Parker, Brian Moore, and G&L are great guitars; but the resale value sucks. These are not as well-known as Fender, Gibson, or PRS. Most people and many recording/performing artist will buy and use Fender/Gibson/PRS more than the other brands or boutique guitars combined...and the Fender American Stratocaster is arguable the #1 guitar sold in the world.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by franchelB
What you're wanting is a Fender Telecaster '52 Reissue!
Carvin and Parker, Brian Moore, and G&L are great guitars; but the resale value sucks. These are not as well-known as Fender, Gibson, or PRS. Most people and many recording/performing artist will buy and use Fender/Gibson/PRS more than the other brands or boutique guitars combined...and the Fender American Stratocaster is arguable the #1 guitar sold in the world.
After an entire Saturday of searching, playing, and bartering over prices, I agree with you!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:29 AM

Jackson & PRS. ...... A lot of people consider Jackson to be "metal" guitars, but I love em. Got 2 USA Jacksons (SL2H, DK1). They look awesome, play better. Cant beat the deal. Flametop, neck-thru, duncans/emgs, original floyd, $1200 aint bad (as long as you dont mind the pointy headstock). I am a child of the 80's, so I think its cool.

PRS speak for themselves. Awesome guitars, but a little pricey. I consider Jackson a better deal.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:52 PM

I would strongly suggest you test drive a USA Hamer Newport before making a final decision. I defy anyone to really give this guitar a workout and then say its not the most verstatile guitar you've ever played.

Matches or exceeds anything else mentioned in build quality too.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:12 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally posted by leftydude
Matches or exceeds anything else mentioned in build quality too.
Not quite. While I agree that the Hamer is a fine instrument, there are precious few instruments on this planent that have the fit and finish of all the Andersons I have played. The Hamer does not meet OR exceed the Anderson. Sorry...just not buying it.

Is the Hamer worth a look and worth owning....Oh yeah. Best guitar listed here...nope.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

As you can see, there are as many opinions as there are guitar companies. My absolute workhorse was a Les Paul with an EMG-85 Humbucker in the bridge position and an EMG-H (single coil in a humbucker housing) in the neck position. The Les Paul was just too darned heavy for 4 hour gigs after enough years, so I put together a Warmoth VW Spalted Maple with the same pickup combo. Lighter, great sustain, and a sound that few others have.

I've found this guitar to be great for playing with acoustics, electrics, and in just about any situation.

I'd love this combo in a Strat body, though, because the Strat contour is the most ergonomically comfortable body design on the market. I mean the "real" contour. Not all copies are very good in that regard

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 03-24-2003, 07:17 AM

Well, I wouldn't feel good about myself if I didn't throw in McInturff guitars. Terry McInturff's products are incredible, hand-built and I personally believe they rival any boutique products out there. Mint used ones can be had for well under $1500 dollars, and they sound incredible.

I think Mc's rival Anderson, PRS, McNaught, etc.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:55 PM

Default Parkers???

Another vote for G & L (if your into strats - like them better than Fenders) and Heritage rather than Gibson. More value for the buck with both these companies. I've had a couple Carvins and cannot fault the quality but I just didn't like the neck for some some reason. But that was many years ago.

I have a couple Ibanezs I enjoy ...S470 and S540. I really love the Wizard necks. The newer ones from Korea don't do much for me but the older Japanese models are great --- I spend 90% of my electric guitar time on that S470 although I have many other pricier electrics.

I am looking at Parker. Any pluses or minuses from anyone? I'm pricing Flys only --- classic and deluxe. Folks who have them sure love 'em.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:34 PM

If you don't want to spend more than $1200 or so, then I would say go with the Fat Strat Deluxe. You won't be sorry--great tone , feel, and versatility. I'm thinking about an aged cherry burst with a maple board.

Many people actually prefer the tones of a good Strat over the more expensive PRS and Andersons of the world. Once you get over a grand, more expensive does not always = better.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Luthier

Quote:
I have an American Deluxe Telecaster with a Fishman Power bridge. A neck and bridge pickup with a three-position switch (each or both) allow for a mellow jazzy sound to a twangy sound that cuts through anything. In addition, the Fishman bridge allows for an acoustic type sound that can be mixed with the other two pickups. The only thing missing is a single-coil strat-type sound. I'm really happy with it. Great build quality too.
Ditto

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars