The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Nuts

Hi Guys,

When determining the correct nut slot depth? Example only = E 0022" e 0018"

It is then followed by placing a capo at the (3) fret and pressing the first fret to identify a small clearance at the first fret. I believe this should also include a small amount to eliminate buzzing on open strings?

Question:- If the (3) fret examination is necessary to validate the string clearance in step (1), would it not be practical to make the latter the go to and the only measurement required with an OPTIONAL (factor 000") built in to address the open string buzz, would this not be an easier and more precise process. IE- measure (1) fret (3) capo- add allowance for open strings - play guitar!

Regards

Brian
Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 PM

The third fret capo test is visual-it takes experience to know what a good clearance is just by sight.

Measuring the first fret clearance is more precise, given you actually measure a distance.

You shouldnt have to add additional clearance for buzzing- this is and should already be taken care of when determining slot depth in the nut. Personal preference will dictate the first fret measurement.

I would say do either method, not both.Unless its a learning process to figure out how deep to cut in order to do the capo test
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Guest 1928

IME there is no good reason for the nut slots to be higher than fret height. If that were a requirement, a capo would never work.

Frank Ford's method is simple easy to implement. No measurement required.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nutaction.html

I also like Murray's new Nut Rocker tool. I've had it for a short time, but it works as advertised.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Depends how you play, I think. A nut slot doesn't need to be any deeper than fret height to get the same feel you'd get playing with a capo, but in my experience most nut slots are a bit higher than this. If you never play with a capo, and especially if you like to bend strings up near the nut, or are an aggressive strummer, you might not like a deep nut slot. In any case you'll hear all kinds of recipes, and I waded through 'em all a couple years ago when I was messing with nut slots, but in the end it's up to what you like.

One absolute truth, though: You can cut a bit deeper, but once you cut, you can't put it back.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 PM

I use the 3rd fret test exclusively. Have done hundreds that way.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:26 AM

I recently had a new nut made for one of my guitars by a locally renowned luthier. When I got it back, the d, g & b strings were buzzing playing the open strings. Unplayable, at least for my style. The hold-down-3rd-fret-clearance-at-first method showed me the slots were just too low. The strings were touching the fret. Luthier claimed that it wasn't possible that the slots were too low since he had carefully measured it and had done hundreds... I was wrong. (He also left the slots pretty jagged and some strings were hanging up when tuning, but that's irrelevant to this thread.) He soundly poo poo'd my 3rd fret method determination.

Anyway, I shimmed the nut with a stick-on mailing label and now have just the tiniest clearance over the fret. You can't really even see it move but can hear the faint 'tink' when you touch it. Buzz gone. The mailing label thing was discussed in the Build and Repair forum, the idea originating from Frank Ford.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 AM

Default Nuts

Thank you for the great advice.

I filed a couple of nuts today, conscious of the fact that keeping the nut base the same as the top of the fret would suffice?. I was very careful when filing inspecting with a 0010" nut file to span the frets and nut (to check the level). It worked on most of the strings however the A and D were too low?.

(Is there a likely scenario for the low cut A and D strings, assuming I did everything correct when filing as above.)

I then experimented with masking tape placed across the frets to give me a buffer/room for error when filing the tape is approximately 0005" this I believe worked prohibiting me from filing too low.

Thanks

Brian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion