The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 06:50 PM

Welcome aboard!

If you are NW of Detroit, a trip to Elderly Instruments in a East Lansing should definitely be on your agenda. You're only an hour or so away.

Greg Rappleye
Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 PM

It wasn't clear whether you are a new guitar player or just new to this site. If you are a new guitar player, I'll share one piece of advice as a fellow newbie. Make sure it's comfortable to play.

I originally thought I wanted a Seagull S6. But once I spent some time with it, I realized a dread was just too big for me. Made playing on the couch uncomfortable. I went with a Yamaha FS (smaller body version of the FG you mentioned) and I'm glad I did, as I'm practicing a lot.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 PM

The reason I asked you where you lived is because I was going to suggest you set aside a several hours sometime and take a drive to Lansing and visit Elderly.

Asking on a forum what guitar to buy is somewhat the equivalent of asking the guy in line behind you what you should order on your pizza. The fact that I always order double anchovies doesn't mean you should.

Handle a swarm of guitars while you are at Elderly's, see how they feel. Pluck the strings, some will sound better to you than others. As you start to zero in on what you think you might like, ask someone in the store to strum a few chords for you.

Take a look at Epiphone, Recording King, Alvarez, etc. There are a ton of very good sounding and playing guitars in your price range.

You will find something you like.

One other option, you may want to take a look at Craigslist, there are a number of nice guitars on sale.

Last edited by pszy22; 03-11-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Although someone said they didn't think much of the Breedlove Discovery Series, I would assert the polar opposite... at $299, I haven't played ANYTHING that even comes close to those little beauties!

I happen to be partial to the Concert size/shape, but I know dreadnought players that love the Discovery Dreadnought, the one with laminated sapele back and sides and a solid sitka spruce top...

The other two choices are okay, but I'd go with the Breedlove...

The advantage to buying from a local store is multi-fold... for one thing, if you buy it there, they are going to be more prone to set it up for you, either for free or at a reduced rate (I'm guessing)... it also helps to support local businesses (unless we're talking about a Guitar Center here!)... and it gives YOU a solid "in" for any other gear you will buy... and there's ALWAYS something to get!

Whatever you choose, take that thing to a good guitar technician and have it set-up correctly for your tastes, after the guitar is at least 6 months old or so...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-michigan View Post
I am looking at the Seagull Entourage Rustic.

Also appreciate your response on the second part of my query -

What is the experience/advantages-disadvantages buying the guitar from an online retailer vs a Guitar Center vs a local music shop? I must point out that the local music shop has limited number of instruments - for a particular kind of guitar they do not have more than one piece. So I either buy what is on the floor or wait.
None of these are bad choices. When you say Yamaha FG series, that opens the door to a wide range. The most popular option is the FG700s ($200) If your budget small, I'd say go with the FG... The Seagull Entourage Rustic cost nearly twice that ($379). So I would be thinking of it in those terms, but if you really love the Seagull and it's within budget I so go for it! When asked for an opinion on "what should I buy" I tell people to

1.) buy within your budget
2.) search youtube for guitar intonation check and take a clip on tuner to the store to make sure the guitar doesn't have major intonation problems
3.) Buy a guitar that inspires you! Listen to ideas here, but ultimately go with a guitar that you're going to love every time you pick it up.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-12-2016, 01:25 AM

Seagull is a great guitar for a really good price.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-12-2016, 02:24 AM

With a budget of $300 I'd look for a used Taylor.

I found a 2002 Taylor Big Baby on Craigslist for $150 ... an unusually low price.
Killer guitar if you don't mind a very plain Jane appearance.

I'd put it up against anything new for $600+
Old 03-12-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Hi Friends,

1. My plan is to spend around $300+ - I have zeroed down to the following guitars -
a. Seagull Entourage
b. Breedlove Discovery
c. Yamaha FG (In that order)
Keeping in mind the price differences between the above, what is the best bang for money? Or do you suggest I look at other guitars.

2. What is the experience/advantages-disadvantages buying the guitar from an online retailer vs a Guitar Center vs a local music shop? I must point out that the local music shop has limited number of instruments - for a particular kind of guitar they do not have more than one piece. So I either buy what is on the floor or wait.
All three of these are typically available at Guitar Center, so it may be possible to do a direct comparison if you can get to one. That said, IMO, the Seagull is by far the best, but it's also well over $300, especially if you also have to add in tax.

I'd recommend expanding your options to include the Ibanez AC240OPN (artwood) and anything from the new Washburn Woodline set. And if you buy online, definitely consider sweetwater.com - by far the best customer service and initial setup you can get from any retailer of that size.
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Default Visited Guitar Center....

This last weekend I visited Guitar Center and played the guitars....liked the Seagull Entourage the best, closely followed by Breedlove Discovery. Though the Breedlove looks a lot better than the Seagull (appearance wise).

So now is the decision time.....specially considering the price difference between the two.

Thanks for all your help. I will sleep on it for a day or so and let you all know what I get finally.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
...What is the experience/advantages-disadvantages buying the guitar from an online retailer vs a Guitar Center vs a local music shop? I must point out that the local music shop has limited number of instruments - for a particular kind of guitar they do not have more than one piece. So I either buy what is on the floor or wait....
Focusing on this line:
1. Online - even though guitar A. sounds like this on YouTube at times what you get doesn't sound like that and sometimes better and sometimes worse.
2. GC - it is what it is. It's a corporate store but a lot of time they sell good stuff. You have to look, play, and LISTEN.
3. Local Store - not all are good but some are. I have many local stores within a 50-mile radius and can count the number of stores I actually like on one hand.

In the end me personally not a fan of buying before you try. So for me online is out unless you are set on getting x-guitar and the only choice is online.

The best suggestion I can make is if you have an idea on the sound you want not so much the best bang for the buck then try to play all 3 or at the very least hear what they sound like which most times you can easily find on YouTube. Then from that try to get it at a store so you can try it.

Almost a year ago I was on the market for a traveling guitar and narrowed it down to a handful of choices. I ended up choosing the LX1 but what was interesting is they had multiple LX1's to try and I found only one in the pile of LX1's that I liked.

But if you are beginner and haven't a preferred sound, then skies the limit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, breedlove, seagull entourage, yamaha