The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Wink

I tend to like the middle of the spectrum as well as the more overtone-y end of the spectrum, but not the far "fundamental" end.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
I tend to like the middle of the spectrum as well as the more overtone-y end of the spectrum, but not the far "fundamental" end.
The far end of the overtone spectrum is amazing, but overwhelming to me. I would get tired of it.

Froggy is firmly rooted in "fundamental", with overtones to decorate chords... and what sold me on them. I think Dana Bourgeois hits this mark well too.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.
Do you recall the price of that guitar? I'm on the Dream Guitars web sight fairly often, don't know how I missed Traphagen. Thanks for posting the video.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOR View Post
Do you recall the price of that guitar? I'm on the Dream Guitars web sight fairly often, don't know how I missed Traphagen. Thanks for posting the video.
It seems like it was in the $7500 range, but that doesn't sound right now that I think about it. Maybe it was $5700... Sorry I can't remember exactly.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
So one of the appeals of the "boo-teek" guitar is complexity. The overtones, the depth.

But some folks just don't have a lot of use for this.

Where do y'all sit on this ... complex or fundamental? What are some prime examples of each one, in your esteemed opinions? What woods and design elements play into that? Or do ye think this stuff is mostly marketing and magic faerie dust?

I'll tip my hand. When asked complex or clean, I say yes!

Gotta have one of each.

The strong fundamental seems good for playing acoustically with other instruments. It cuts better. The complex guitar fills up more space and sounds more pleasant in other settings.
I don't share your either/or analysis. my Froggy Bottoms have a great fundamental with remarkable complexity which doesn't get in the way.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 07-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
I don't share your either/or analysis. my Froggy Bottoms have a great fundamental with remarkable complexity which doesn't get in the way.

Hans
So maybe I should get my filthy paws on a couple of them there Froggy Bottom guitars and get a sense of the real deal then, huh handers?

Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Regardless of whether a guitar leans more towards the fundamental or more towards the overtones, I prefer guitars do that consistently from pitch to pitch, from fret to fret.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Regardless of whether a guitar leans more towards the fundamental or more towards the overtones, I prefer guitars do that consistently from pitch to pitch, from fret to fret.
Right on, man. You want that balance. Even if you are just playing cowboy chords, at some point you may get adventurous and move up the neck. And suddenly your tone goes down the toilet?

What's with that?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, complex tone, fundamental