The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Question Seagull Entourage for singer songwriter/ acoustic rock?

Hello, I am looking for a my first acoustic guitar. I would like to have electronics on it so I can play with amplification. I have played electric guitars for a couple of years and I have found that I am starting to enjoy playing my dad's acoustic more than my electric. I stumbled across The Seagull Entourage Rustic Acoustic electric guitar online and it has great reviews. I have tried it at guitar center very briefly and I really liked the sound of it but I am still wondering if it is a good all purpose guitar. So basically I am wondering if the cedar top makes it bad for strumming. I want to be able to play anything on it while still sounding good. Are there any other good guitars in the 400-500 dollar price range that would work well for all styles (Strumming and Finger picking). Sorry if my question was confusing.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Hey Chend, Welcome to the AGF. Your question isn't confusing at all and it makes a lot of sense. Cedar can have less headroom than sitka but I wouldn't really be concerned about it unless you plan to strum the heck out of the guitar and possibly break strings while you're at it. Cedar also handles fingerpicking very well.

I say if you really liked the Seagull you played, buy it. Seagull makes some great guitars in that price range.

I would suggest that you go back to Guitar Center and play a bunch of acoustics in that price range, both with and without pickups. That'll help you determine if you prefer something more than the Seagull.

BTW - what guitar does your dad have?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you I have never broken any strings or anything like that from strumming. My dad has a Yamaha Fg730s. I will go back to guitar center soon and try some more guitars but I just wanted to learn some more about the guitar.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM

The Seagull in question will work fine for what you need it for. It's hard to find guitars that deliver more tone and value per dollar spent than Seagull and its sister brand Simon & Patrick, and there aren't many rival guitar brands at the same price point that can really compete with them.

Short version: go for it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-13-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Are there any other good acoustic electric guitars in this price range to look at?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM

I adore cedar top acoustics, my own is a Norman cedar top with wild cherry back and sides and personally I would recommend any guitar from La Patrie
'05 Norman B18(6) Cedar
'83 Flambeau LFW - 3C
Taylor NS24e
Fender Classic 50's Esquire - Sunburst
Fender Telecaster FSR - Black Paisley
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II '50s - Inverness Green
Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM

I highly recommend the Seagull. I've gigged and recorded with mine. A lovely sounding instrument for the money.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Strings?

Im pretty much sold on the seagull I will go try it again tommorow al with some other guitars to make sure it is the one I want. Now, So of a side question what kind of string have you found work well on the seagull? I hate buying different brands of strings.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM

I've been happy with either Martin Lifespan lights or D'Addario EXP lights (EXP11) on my Seagull.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM

I own a Simon & Patrick cedar-topped six string and a Seagull cedar-topped twelve string and use John Pearse phosphor bronze strings on both of them. I am an artist endorser for John Pearse strings and accessories, but was using these strings almost exclusively for twelve or fifteen years before I achieved that status. I think they're the best-sounding strings on the planet.

Having said that, I will advise you, Chend, that you shouldn't expect anything even remotely like a consensus on what the "best strings for a Seagull" might be. We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to strings.

Naturally, I think my suggestion that you try John Pearse phosphor bronze strings on it is a good one, but any strings you already like and have had good luck with will work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the opinions and advice. Its extremely helpful
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Seagull Entourage for singer songwriter/ acoustic rock?

Sure, why not?

Especially if you like it
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM

I had a cedar-topped Seagull S6 that seemed to have a lack of headroom with light or extra light strings . . . until I set it up with medium (.013-.056) strings. Then it became an absolute cannon. With the heavier strings, I was able to lower the action a lot with no buzzing, so playability was still really easy . . . although bending notes was challenging. Maybe my experience with this particular guitar was unique. I've played other cedar topped seagulls that seemed to have decent headroom with .012s.

I've also played a few Seagull Entourage mini jumbos that were pretty impressive. I like the narrower neck better than their standard ones. I almost bought one of those MJs . . . a few times . . . I might buy one yet.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM

+1 in the "go for it" consensus. Mine has been just great for acoustic music group at church and practice at home. I prefer .011-.052 gauge strings on it. Currently enjoying a set of Silk & Steel strings on it - easy to play, and they seem to bring out an extra sweetness in the tone. The higher-gauge strings seem to overdrive my Entourage. Love the sound of mine in open G tuning, too! Good luck to you!
2016 Godin S & P Woodland Pro Folk
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M ‘Burst
2019 Taylor BE 517e WHB Mahogany
2019 Taylor LTD 512ce / Cedar-Koa
2022 Gibson Original L-00 Sunburst
2023 Larrivee OM-40R / Rosewood
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Cedar-topped 'Gulls are incredibly versatile! Mine does tend to break up under extreme strumming -- but most of the time I don't do extreme.

I use D'Addario EJ-16s (phosphor-bronze) on mine. I believe that's what the factory (Godin) uses. Assuming that's correct, in this case, the factory's got it right!
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
first acoustic, seagull, seagull entourage rustic, strumming