The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-24-2017, 03:45 PM

Anything that will chemically remove super glue will probably also damage nitro. Stick with what the pros said, sandpaper. If your skillful, a single edge razor blade with the corners rounded can be used as a scraper for initial leveling before sanding.
et al
Old 12-24-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Anything that will chemically remove super glue will probably also damage nitro. Stick with what the pros said, sandpaper. If your skillful, a single edge razor blade with the corners rounded can be used as a scraper for initial leveling before sanding.
Agreed... I am not putting any chemical on my sweet Gibson.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Should be clear over all, but, well, "should" is one of those words. . .
Hey Frank.. Thanks for your helpful video.. I just bought some 3M adhesive to apply to my pickguard for reattachment.

Question....
If I'm using my non-clear guard...
do I still use the water mixture as part of the procedure ?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Unless the old pickguard is perfectly flat, I would not reapply it. I don't think Gibson pickguards are known for curling -- I could be wrong -- but sometimes a pickguard lifts not just because the adhesive was poorly applied, but because the plastic deforms and curls. If that's not the case, then using the 3M stuff as recommended should be perfect. But check first, as there's no point in reinstalling a part if the part is gradually failing. Good luck getting that glue off. The instructions you got are perfect -- but require patience and a careful touch. I wouldn't hesitate, myself, but it did take me 30 years to acquire the patience to ensure good results! (I learned the skills and methods decades earlier. The patience was the hard part!)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Thanks Mr Fingers.

I think the original pickguard is in excellent condition and pretty flat. It's been laying between some heavy books.

My 3M adhesive paper (467MP) should be here by the weekend.

The glue... I haven't had the time to devote to doing it yet. But will be patient and slow.

I know I can handle the razor blade and wet sand...
But, I'm a little worried about the disrupting the Rosette. Since it's so close to the problem area.

* So I guess I will protect the rosette and outlying area with painter's tape?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 AM

If you are using a Firestripe pick guard, be aware that the lighter colored areas are somewhat see-through. So if you end up with a sanded through area or any of the white or paler area remains, you might want to touch it up with a black marker before installing the new guard.

Ed
Old 12-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
If you are using a Firestripe pick guard, be aware that the lighter colored areas are somewhat see-through. So if you end up with a sanded through area or any of the white or paler area remains, you might want to touch it up with a black marker before installing the new guard.

Ed

Good point.. Luckily I was able to remove the glue using the "dull" razor blade (taped method) along believe it or not my finger nail. Got it flat.. But there is a small amount of roughness. But I am not going to sand or mare the finish.

My thought is to re-attach the old guard. It is perfectly flat and in perfect condition. The pickguard will cover the area and should be no sign of any issue.

MY LAST QUESTION -- I watched Frank Ford's video when he installed a clear guard......Method includes applying some water on the guitar prior to sticking down the PG..... then smoothing out to remove bubbles.

Is this water necessary to use ... even when not using clear pickguard?
Old 12-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Default careful with water

Water is useful as described BUT if it's used on a surface with any kind of porosity, it won't be a happy day. Real luthiers will offer concrete advice, as I'm offering layman's anxiety. But I would not want to use water anywhere near a guitar top unless I was cast-iron sure that it wouldn't penetrate the surface. There's other ways to get the pickguard into good position.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair