The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hahaha, ain’t this place fun?!
I can feel your need mate ! You’ve got my personal permission. Just go ahead and order it, and collect it, sans tax, when you head south.

Re: the burst, I’m serious, don’t spoil the ship for a ha’p’orth o’ tar. If that’s what tickles your fancy, that’s the one to get, I went the extra couple of hundred for an Artisan over an Opus, et je ne regrette rien.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hahaha, ain’t this place fun?!
Bunch of enablers! Of course, the fact that there are some impressive CF options doesn't hurt, either.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
True, Ted. One potential advantage I have is that my wife and I spend each winter at our vacation home in SW Florida, so I do factor this into tempering at least some of the added cost.
So cool that you get to do that, Tom. Winters are rather nice here in LA, but we do spend most of the summer in the local mountains to get away from the heat of the city. Which guitar(s) do you take to FL, normally?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
So cool that you get to do that, Tom. Winters are rather nice here in LA, but we do spend most of the summer in the local mountains to get away from the heat of the city. Which guitar(s) do you take to FL, normally?
Yes, we consider ourselves very fortunate. In the lead-up to retirement, we toured California twice after my business trips. Love CA. That said, we wanted to get even further south, so chose Florida. We’re especially lucky since our place and convertible we keep down there were within 5 mi. of Irma’s western eyewall, and the expected 15’ storm surge didn’t happen. $75 in vinyl siding damage, that was it. I’ve thought of using minimal financial loss as justification to buy a guitar, but I don’t think it’ll fly with my wife.

As for guitars I take south, over the past 5 years, I have taken my previous Chimaera twice, my 814c twice and my Cargo once. I’ve been thinking of taking my Cargo this winter. That said, if I plan to sell a guitar(s) to enable purchase of a Savoy, I’ll be rethinking this, with my mint ‘02 ‘57 Strat RI also in the mix (I had bought it new...replaced my vintage ‘58 Strat...but have barely played it). This is very difficult. I may do it, I may do nothing. We’ll see. Savoy threads don’t help, which I even bring on myself.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-12-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 PM

One word... getthesavoyandgetitnow... I'm half German as you can prolly tell.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
One word... getthesavoyandgetitnow... I'm half German as you can prolly tell.
Ha! I’ve been watching the lengthy Savoy video you did. Great work...great GAS inducer. You’re an enabler, Mark!
Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Ha! I’ve been watching the lengthy Savoy video you did. Great work...great GAS inducer. You’re an enabler, Mark!
Did what I could on such short notice... and.. my plan worked....and.. thank you kind sir.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Well, thanks to this thread , others like it and Kramsters videos I finally joined the forum and the Blackbird bug has bitten. Was going to go with a steel string Rider but the Savoy seems like an amazing all around guitar. Hopefully I'll own one sooner than later.

I know its my 1st post....have to start somewhere!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by navion View Post
Well, thanks to this thread , others like it and Kramsters videos I finally joined the forum and the Blackbird bug has bitten. Was going to go with a steel string Rider but the Savoy seems like an amazing all around guitar. Hopefully I'll own one sooner than later.

I know its my 1st post....have to start somewhere!
Welcome, nav! Yep, a GAS-inducing little bugger, isn’t it?!
Old 10-13-2017, 11:31 PM

Just another bit of input. I hope that no one is offended by my opinion on this. While I found the Savoy to be cool looking and intriguing on the surface, I would have to say that the tone and sound quality did not impress me at all.

I found it lacking in balance and full-range. Personally, I would stay away from one purely on that basis.

I honestly hate to rain on the sun shiny parade, but this is my honest, to the heart opinion.

You may find that you love the Savoy, as it seems others truly do. I feel that if great tone is what you're after, in a small intimate size, you may be more satisfied with other options. Perhaps CH-PA or Emerald X7? I just don't think that the sound quality of the Savoy matches the cool looks and apparent charm. . And, it is not an inexpensive proposition.

I hesitate to hit the "Save" button, but feel I must add my thoughts in hope that they may be of some benefit, somehow.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Just another bit of input. I hope that no one is offended by my opinion on this. While I found the Savoy to be cool looking and intriguing on the surface, I would have to say that the tone and sound quality did not impress me at all.

I found it lacking in balance and full-range. Personally, I would stay away from one purely on that basis.

I honestly hate to rain on the sun shiny parade, but this is my honest, to the heart opinion.

You may find that you love the Savoy, as it seems others truly do. I feel that if great tone is what you're after, in a small intimate size, you may be more satisfied with other options. Perhaps CH-PA or Emerald X7? I just don't think that the sound quality of the Savoy matches the cool looks and apparent charm. . And, it is not an inexpensive proposition.

I hesitate to hit the "Save" button, but feel I must add my thoughts in hope that they may be of some benefit, somehow.
Thanks D. I know you played a number of composite guitars when you visited Mark, including the Savoy, so I truly appreciate your candor and sobering perspective. You’re right, it’s not an inexpensive proposition. In fact, in the wood world, the burst model (which I’m most interested in) is priced up there almost at the cost of a Taylor 814ce, which it can compete with on intimacy, but certainly not tone. Apples and oranges, I suppose. I love my Cargo. After 9 years with it, I recognize how good it is for what it is, and its tone strengths and weaknesses. I’ve been wanting to find a smaller intimate guitar that has the warmth of the Cargo, but with improvement in the tone weaknesses I’ve gotten used to. I don’t think the smaller Rainsongs or Emerald offer enough to overthrow my Cargo. I thought the Savoy might. Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-14-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Blackbird Savoy

Quote:
Thanks D. I know you played a number of composite guitars when you visited Mark, including the Savoy, so I truly appreciate your candor and sobering perspective. You’re right, it’s not an inexpensive proposition. In fact, in the wood world, the burst model (which I’m most interested in) is priced up there almost at the cost of a Taylor 814ce, which it can compete with on intimacy, but certainly not tone. Apples and oranges, I suppose. I love my Cargo. After 9 years with it, I recognize how good it is for what it is, and its tone strengths and weaknesses. I’ve been wanting to find a smaller intimate guitar that has the warmth of the Cargo, but with improvement in the tone weaknesses I’ve gotten used to. I don’t think the smaller Rainsongs or Emerald offer enough to overthrow my Cargo. I thought the Savoy might. Maybe, maybe not.

If you think the taylor 814ce would a competitor in the intimacy department then I would suggest at least playing a Rainsong CH-OM. The RS has a smaller body than the taylor and the RS is half the cost of the savoy. The Savoy definitely has a tone all to its own. I happen to love it. It's probably not for everyone.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

As you started your quest to find the right guitar, you were fortunate to have Kramster take you under his wing and provide the opportunity to play a bunch of carbon fiber options. Most of us haven't had that experience - it has taken me years to play as many options as you did in hours.

We all hear and appreciate tone from different perspectives, so I find the opinions expressed here to be helpful, not offensive. Well, as long as they aren't presented in an offensive manner.

If someone doesn't share my enthusiasm for a particular size, shape, sound, or manufacturer, it doesn't diminish my experience, nor does it invalidate either party's opinion. That's why I've stated my desire to stay out of the "my guitar can beat up your guitar" discussions.

Over the years I've been playing, I have had a lot of "Oh, that is nice!" experiences when picking up a new guitar. Some nice enough that I want to own it, but the best is when you find something that introduces you to something you haven't seen/felt/heard before that truly delights you.

When it comes to carbon fiber, I think some who haven't played one before are surprised... "Hey, that sounds good!" because they have preconceived ideas of what to expect.

Surprise! It sounds like a guitar!

With the different CF manufacturers offering great options, this is great time to be a carbon fiber guitar player. While we may not agree with every opinion expressed here, there is something to be gained by the discussion.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
... I would suggest at least playing a Rainsong CH-OM...
He bought one after trying more CF guitars in one day than many of us will play
in a lifetime.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
He bought one after trying more CF guitars in one day than many of us will play
in a lifetime.
Just to clarify Sean, bry was responding to me. It’s DHart who bought the RS CH-OM, which actually, has generated interest with me, but I’m looking for something smaller, like the Savoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber