The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Gibson neck question.

I have heard that it's not always possible to successfully perform a neck reset on all acoustic guitars, depending on assembly methods. Is this true?
What about Norlin era Gibson guitars? I'm seriously considering wether or not I would want to do one on this guitar for sentimental reasons, and if it would even be possible? Thanks so much!

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Sometimes there are issues with certain glues used, like the epoxies used on the early Yamaha acoustics, that make neck resets impractical, but a Norlin era Gibson should be fine.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanks! I had heard that Norlin Gibsons used some sort of double dovetail neck joint that made it nearly impossible to get them apart. It seemed in keeping with the rest of the Gibson build philosophy of that era so i deemed it plausible. Glad to hear its not that bad lol

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 04-25-2016, 02:25 PM

I read this and was intrigued. A google image search for "gibson double dovetail" yielded nothing that appeared to be a double dovetail, anybody have a picture of what that looks like?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Guest 728

There's a "Spanish slipper" that someone might call a double dovetail, and my understanding is that this construction makes it difficult to perform a reset. I have no idea if Gibson ever used it -- they're usually seen on classical guitars.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:45 PM

hmm is it because the neck extension covers the top of the dovetail (inhibiting getting a steam needle in it)?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, blue ridge, gibson, hummingbird, j45