The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Default New Capo Day

Hi All,

Recently I post a thread asking about the "unusual" position on my 1 3/4" nut guitar. All of the responses said that it is normal to have gap between the curve of the capo and the curve of the neck.

However, the gap looks too weird for me, therefore, I pull the trigger and buy a Shubb Capo C1 (standard, not the deluxe one). I searched for the best price, and no, in Australia you cannot get it for under $20.. ><

I bought it online and I explained to the seller about the situation between my guitar and my older (Planetwaves NS dual action) capo, and I asked him if the Shubb has the same issue I want to get a refund. And he said he can do it, so we have a deal...

The capo arrived yesterday. First of all, I want to say that this capo is small (compared to the planet waves). I tried it out and see whether it can fit to my guitar neck. It does not fit perfectly, but the gap is greatly reduced to the limit where I think it does not look weird. So I'm happy with this capo and I will not refund it. Furthermore, I think it works great (in terms of intonation) as well.

Although I can see that it is not a simple thing to move the capo around the neck as two hands are needed to use it, it is not a problem for me.

However if there is one thing that I can complain, I would say the gear to "tune" the pressure is quite rough. I hurt my fingers a little bit when I tried to get the low E, D and G strings "pushed" properly and produce no string buzz. Luckily, once it has the right amount of tension, I hardly have to re-"tune" it.

Lastly, I just would like to say thank you for everyone in the forum that have directed me to Shubb Capo. I have not tried Elliot or Paige or G7th as they are either rare or cost me more money. At this stage, I'm pretty much settled with Shubb...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakakak View Post
However if there is one thing that I can complain, I would say the gear to "tune" the pressure is quite rough. I hurt my fingers a little bit when I tried to get the low E, D and G strings "pushed" properly and produce no string buzz. Luckily, once it has the right amount of tension, I hardly have to re-"tune" it.
Just to make sure: Are you trying to adjust the screw while it's clamped to the neck? These capos are designed so that you adjust the screw before clamping it on, which sometimes requires you to take it on and off a couple of times until you get the adjustment right. I imagine you figured that our already, but I'm just checking . . .

Otherwise, I'm glad you found a capo that works. I have G7, Kyser, and Shubb capos. The G7 is probably my favorite all around. The Kyser is the most convenient, but the tension really only works well on one guitar. I still use the Shubb plenty because it's light, low profile, and easy to fine tune for good intonation.
Les Paul Jr., MIM Strat, J-Bass copy, Mandolin, Banjo, etc.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 PM

I am no expert on capo's but I bought a G7th. Cost a little more than I thought it would. Not like my dads stretch over but has been good. It reaches over and secures my strings very securely no buzz. One step action no fuss. The release is the same. One push and it slides off. I thought the G7th was expensive but it works.

I don't have any problem with the Shubb's I have never used I just like my G7th very much. If you have issues consider.
Cordoba Solista CE CD/IN
Cordoba Fusion 14RS
Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II HoneyBurst
Fender Standard Stratocaster Gold
Fender Standard Telecaster Lake Placid Blue
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Burst
Ibanez GRGA 42 TRB
Ibanez GRGA 32 WHT
Ibanez SR300 Grey
Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Oh really?? I just knew it.. I think I have to read the instructions more carefully next time..

Last night, I was able use it on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th fret without having to adjust the tension anymore..

But I thank you for telling me my mistake..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion