The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM

Excellent advice..thank you
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
NJ to Florida..temps are 95 down there we are humid & 85
Priority Mail is around $70. Express mail varies, but is usually comparable with UPS prices (around $150).
Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertForman View Post
Shipping a guitar yourself, let me give you some advice: do not box it yourself, allow either FedEx or UPS to box it for you. why you may ask? good question, if you box and they break it, they will blame you, they will say you didn't box it properly. on the other hand, if they box it and they break it, they can't say that.

I personally wouldn't let anyone box an expensive guitar because I'm sure I care more about it than anyone else. And I'd choose FedEx w/ insurance.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Assuming you're shipping in the U.S., here's what you want to do:

Pack the guitar yourself in a box that's under 108" length plus girth. Taylor boxes are usually 48 x 21 x 9, which is perfect (21 + 21 + 9 + 9 + 48 = 108). Pad the headstock, yadda, yadda. Make absolutely sure of the 108" thing.

Get on the USPS website and select Express service (I think it's called Priority Express now, which isn't confusing at all). That will go almost anywhere in the lower 48 states overnight, and printing the postage online it shouldn't be more than about $85 to $100. Once you punch in the zip codes it will tell you if it will be overnight or two days (98% of the time it's overnight unless you're shipping to a remote ranch in Wyoming). You could also save yourself $20 or $30 and do standard Priority, which will be either two or three days, if you're okay with that.

Now the tricky part will be insurance. I believe Express only insures up to $5000, and you could probably take out an U-PIC policy for the extra $1500. You said you're selling it for $6500, so that's the most you'll get on a claim, so any extra insurance is a waste of money. If you really want to protect the guitar, I'd strongly suggest taking out a Heritage/Clarion/whatever policy just for the shipping. It shouldn't be too expensive for $6500. Adding $5K of USPS insurance will add another $40 or $50.

USPS Express is by far the best deal in the guitar shipping world, as long as you can find a box that's under their 108" size limit. Similar service from FedEX/UPS will run you at least $250, and probably closer to $300.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM

I just shipped a guitar and as you can read above there is no service that is safe so I bought insurance through Clarion, $160 for one year. A lesser time was almost the same cost. So both of my guitars are covered for a year. Pretty expensive but I dont trust any shipper, too many problems. Of those mentioned I like USPS the best. They have less problems than the others. Still you might be the one that had the problem.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post
Assuming you're shipping in the U.S., here's what you want to do:

Pack the guitar yourself in a box that's under 108" length plus girth. Taylor boxes are usually 48 x 21 x 9, which is perfect (21 + 21 + 9 + 9 + 48 = 108). Pad the headstock, yadda, yadda. Make absolutely sure of the 108" thing.

Get on the USPS website and select Express service (I think it's called Priority Express now, which isn't confusing at all). That will go almost anywhere in the lower 48 states overnight, and printing the postage online it shouldn't be more than about $85 to $100. Once you punch in the zip codes it will tell you if it will be overnight or two days (98% of the time it's overnight unless you're shipping to a remote ranch in Wyoming). You could also save yourself $20 or $30 and do standard Priority, which will be either two or three days, if you're okay with that.

Now the tricky part will be insurance. I believe Express only insures up to $5000, and you could probably take out an U-PIC policy for the extra $1500. You said you're selling it for $6500, so that's the most you'll get on a claim, so any extra insurance is a waste of money. If you really want to protect the guitar, I'd strongly suggest taking out a Heritage/Clarion/whatever policy just for the shipping. It shouldn't be too expensive for $6500. Adding $5K of USPS insurance will add another $40 or $50.

USPS Express is by far the best deal in the guitar shipping world, as long as you can find a box that's under their 108" size limit. Similar service from FedEX/UPS will run you at least $250, and probably closer to $300.
Thank you..from running around all day looking into this,what you say here, is exactly the way it should be done.Very kind of you to write it out step by step.People should copy & save what you wrote. Cheers : )

With an account online it was coming to $260..overnight, and when I went in person to Fed Ex they were charging me $296-313 for 2 day service..thats just ridiculous. Standard Ground was $105. AND now..this is the main part.. this is not insurance you are paying for at Fed Ex..manager says "Fed Ex does not sell insurance".
You declare the amount & if something happens they determine what your item is worth. He said "they may determine a guitar is just a guitar and pay you only $600 ..quoted..So people who think that they are getting what they are paying for ARE NOT getting that at all.

An alternative the very good guy at my local post office said is that there is one way of sending it, that WILL cover the $9000 (replacement cost new..not valid to claim that?), he said..To send it "Priority Regestered"..but that it must be in a plain box with no markings on it & sealed only with Paper Tape..it comes to $106..and that it must be done at the Main Post office ...! I plan on going there with the box tomorrow to see if it meets with they're approval.
Got a rush of sellers remorse as well this evening when I played it..for 31 years we have always had a Martin..
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Thank you..from running around all day looking into this,what you say here, is exactly the way it should be done.Very kind of you to write it out step by step.People should copy & save what you wrote. Cheers : )

With an account online it was coming to $260..overnight, and when I went in person to Fed Ex they were charging me $296-313 for 2 day service..thats just ridiculous. Standard Ground was $105. AND now..this is the main part.. this is not insurance you are paying for at Fed Ex..manager says "Fed Ex does not sell insurance".
You declare the amount & if something happens they determine what your item is worth. He said "they may determine a guitar is just a guitar and pay you only $600 ..quoted..So people who think that they are getting what they are paying for ARE NOT getting that at all.

An alternative the very good guy at my local post office said is that there is one way of sending it, that WILL cover the $9000 (replacement cost new..not valid to claim that?), he said..To send it "Priority Regestered"..but that it must be in a plain box with no markings on it & sealed only with Paper Tape..it comes to $106..and that it must be done at the Main Post office ...! I plan on going there with the box tomorrow to see if it meets with they're approval.
Got a rush of sellers remorse as well this evening when I played it..for 31 years we have always had a Martin..
Glad you were able to figure it out! Didn't know about the Registered Mail insurance trick - thanks for the tip.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Cool Least costly way to ship an expensive guitar?

I'm glad things have been sorted, because I learned a lot. I have only 2 things to add.

1) Don't use FedEx. I had some damage to a guitar I purchased, and they tried EVERYTHING to avoid paying the claim. I initiated the claim (snapped headstock), submitted the sales slip, a repair estimate and filled out a damage report (complete with photos of outer carton, and packing materials used, as well as the damage), and they immediately cut a check $100 and sent it to the seller, without my consent, and without even speaking to the seller! The guitar had been insured for the purchase price and shipping cost, and they eventually cut a check to me, but it took over a week to get everything sorted out.

2) Be sure and bubble wrap the peghead (inside the case) and loosen the strings to remove all stress on the neck.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion