The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
the acoustic dn3s ga's gc's etc etc have slightly thinner back and sides. ....
I've had a number of Taylors and have two of these now and researched them a lot. I'm a big fan of these guitars, but I've never heard this ever mentioned anywhere ever.

I don't think this is true. Where did you get this info. It would be interesting if true but I'd like to know how credible this is.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Just go buy the Martin custom D and live happily ever after.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM

The martin and the Taylor have different nut widths. The DN3 is 1 3/4. On mine the high E was ridiculously close the edge of the fret board. I had new nut cut. Now I don't have any playabilty issues with it.

Make sure you are comfortable playing the one you pick. For some, nut width is no big deal, for me it is.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyfatz View Post
I apologize if this has already been covered. I. Looking at a used Dread preferably a Taylor or Martin. I've come across a few used models online DN3 and 310 by Taylor. From what I can tell, they are both all solid, with Sitka Spruce top and Mohogany back and sides.. (Similar to the Martin Custom D which I'm also considering)
Does anyone know the difference between these two models? Are there advantages to one over the other?

Thank you in advance

As an owner of a Taylor DN3, I advise you to buy one ASAYK. A little bit of correction: both the DN3 and the 310 come with sapele, not mahogany. And I love sapele. Its crispy tone is a thing of beauty.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The DN3s are my favorite Taylors. Strong bass but still articulate and crisp in the trebles. I like the 310s too.
+1. Although I much prefer the DN3.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-11-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I've had a number of Taylors and have two of these now and researched them a lot. I'm a big fan of these guitars, but I've never heard this ever mentioned anywhere ever.

I don't think this is true. Where did you get this info. It would be interesting if true but I'd like to know how credible this is.
There was a mention of this in Taylor's own Wood & Steel magazine at the time. The Acoustic Line was said to be optimized for acoustic (non-amplified) sound.

Still, at least some of the guitars in this series actually were available with electronics - I have one, a GC8e, w/ ES 1.3. Concering bracing: the GC8 had the same bracing as 812 of same year (CV bracing with relief rout).
Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM

I think the concern here is that the specific changes (relief route/beacon geometry) called out didn’t mention thinning the back. To mudddy the waters further, I was thinking there are at least 3, maybe 4 necks in play. 98 would’ve been pre NT, both NT headstock joints, and then the short scale. I do think the nut with his appointment worthy of serious consideration between the Martin in the Taylor. But with all that’s been said in the past 48, finding a used guitar usually comes down to availability. And whatever particular specimens are available when the OP is ready to purchase will pretty well define parameters of the selection.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemo View Post
There was a mention of this in Taylor's own Wood & Steel magazine at the time. The Acoustic Line was said to be optimized for acoustic (non-amplified) sound.....
That makes a lot of sense. I love this series of guitars - I just never heard that before.

Any chance you can help me find that article?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:57 AM

When I bought my DN8 I remember reading that they used thinner wood for the acoustic series since it wasn’t being amplified from the factory. Then they started adding the “e” to the series, so I don’t really know how true that is.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I have owned a Taylor dn3 and I thought it was an ok guitar. I also have owned a Martin custom D. This is just my 2 cents but as far as I'm concerned the Taylor didn't even come close to the Martin. But its your penny. The playability of the Taylor wasn't even as good as the Martin. Musicians friend has the Martins on sale for 900 bucks. I think a Taylor 310 is around 1500. I know I'm never going to replace the dn3 but I'm seriously thinking about picking up another custom D. If you can go somewhere and play both of these guitars I think you will see a difference between them. And maybe you will like the Taylor better. But I would sure find out for certain before I shelled out 1500 bucks. Just saying. Good luck in your search. Of all the guitars I have owned and sold the Martin custom D is the only one I regret selling.
The Martin seems an incredible value. Unfortunately this is an online only thing through MF, and GC. I can't find one in stock anywhere!
I'm looking at used DN3, 310's and new custom D's. It's about the same price point. I'm a big fan of the Taylor's playability, but I've always liked the sound from a Martin Dread..
Anyway.. thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 AM

I found a reference to some Cocobolo-LTD guitars being milled thinner on page 13 of this Wood and Steel:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/..._fall_2011.pdf

So I suppose it's possible that the DN, GA, GC, GS series guitars had this but I am not so sure.

One thing I do know for sure, my DN3 sounds incredible.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I found a reference to some Cocobolo-LTD guitars being milled thinner on page 13 of this Wood and Steel:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/..._fall_2011.pdf

So I suppose it's possible that the DN, GA, GC, GS series guitars had this but I am not so sure.

One thing I do know for sure, my DN3 sounds incredible.
Thanks.

Yeah, my GC7 is amazing. I keep playing other guitars and falling back in love with mine every time I play it. If you've watched me cycle through guitars over the past five years you know I am not shy to fall out of love with a guitar.

I keep wondering if I got lucky and got like the best GC ever made by Taylor or are they all this good.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I have owned a Taylor dn3 and I thought it was an ok guitar. I also have owned a Martin custom D. This is just my 2 cents but as far as I'm concerned the Taylor didn't even come close to the Martin. But its your penny. The playability of the Taylor wasn't even as good as the Martin. Musicians friend has the Martins on sale for 900 bucks. I think a Taylor 310 is around 1500. I know I'm never going to replace the dn3 but I'm seriously thinking about picking up another custom D. If you can go somewhere and play both of these guitars I think you will see a difference between them. And maybe you will like the Taylor better. But I would sure find out for certain before I shelled out 1500 bucks. Just saying. Good luck in your search. Of all the guitars I have owned and sold the Martin custom D is the only one I regret selling.
The Martin seems an incredible value. Unfortunately this is an online only thing through MF, and GC. I can't find one in stock anywhere!
I'm looking at used DN3, 310's and new custom D's. It's about the same price point. I'm a big fan of the Taylor's playability, but I've always liked the sound from a Martin Dread..
Anyway.. thanks for all the advice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dreadnaught, martin, taylor