The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 PM

Default Taylor ES-2 volume setting and unwanted noise

I play a Taylor 814ce with ES-2. I plug into a Perform VG with volume control, then balanced XLR to powered QSC K8.

With the guitar volume control at the 12-o'clock detent setting, I get too much guitar handling noise, string noise, etc. Perhaps most annoying, when I touch the saddle when palm muting the pickup is capturing an audible click / crunch sound.

A potential solution is to turn down the volume on the guitar and turn up the volume downstream (at the Perform VG or speaker).

At the same overall volume levels, it feels and sounds different depending on whether the guitar's pickup volume is high and downstream volume is low or vice-versa. There's no real guidance on this from any of the manufacturers of the products in my signal chain.

Not really sure I have a clear question, other than if you have a comment on this, I'd welcome it. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:41 AM

Have you tried backing off the piezo discs from the saddle a little bit? I understand the pickups are adjustable and a little can go a long way. I'd give that a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification