The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default the box is closed

lotza clamps
Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That sinker top is just amazing--even from the underside!
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks also to the guy who made it available to me. I like it better every time I look at it.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

That really IS a handsome top.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 AM

There are not many guitars built with the double X bracing. No doubt this is because of the negative data about the overbuilt Gibson double X. I had heard from a couple of builders that they tried the double X and they did a lighter build. They said the results were very good. I was interested in that, so in my last batch of guitars I used the double on one. The outcome was very pleasing to me. One of my better guitars. I would not be afraid to recommend it to anyone if it is done correctly. I think you will be quite pleased.
Tom
Old 08-29-2015, 08:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been waffling back and forth between the double x and a more traditional design and have finally come to rest on the double x. Structurally I think a builder can get more support around the bridge with less total weight in bracing that way. My working hypothesis is to keep bracing as light as possible, stiff in the central region and flexible on the edges. Speaker cone like.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
There are not many guitars built with the double X bracing. No doubt this is because of the negative data about the overbuilt Gibson double X. I had heard from a couple of builders that they tried the double X and they did a lighter build. They said the results were very good. I was interested in that, so in my last batch of guitars I used the double on one. The outcome was very pleasing to me. One of my better guitars. I would not be afraid to recommend it to anyone if it is done correctly. I think you will be quite pleased.
Tom
Tom, I guess you could say that as a consumer, i know very little about bracing patterns and why something works vs. why something don't. I certainly see the "longevity factor" applied here, but as I reflect on the "overbuilt Gibson", I'm not certain I was aware of the potential issues of more bracing. But certainly I can see how it could overly impact tone if not "managed" appropriately. I guess my confidence lies in a successful first build using the "X" bracing pattern. I can't begin to count the number if people who have played my Alpine/Braz guitar that can only say "WOW"!! This is the evidence of a seasoned builder who knows his stuff...kudo's to John

I find it interesting to see the commonalities of the two and yet the differences are also intriguing.

First Brazilian build by John:

This one:

Old 08-29-2015, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default tuned top

ready for the scary part. taking stuff away for arm rest, rib rest, purfling, sound port. oh boy

Old 08-29-2015, 10:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default a little joy juice to show color

Old 09-01-2015, 06:18 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks for posting these John! I think the striking variations in this top rock. The colors of the wood will pop even more under finish and the rosette should pull those colors out in a very sweet way.

I'm really interested to see how the guitar's personality changes as we add the Ryan bevel, and of course the all important binding and purfling ideas we've discussed. Actually, the really fun part is about to begin

Last edited by invguy921; 09-01-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Thanks for posting these John! I think the striking variations in this top rock. The colors of the wood will pop even more under finish and the rosette should pull those colors out in a very sweet way.

I'm really interested to see how the guitar's personality changes as we add the Ryan bevel, and of course the all important binding and purfling ideas we've discussed. Actually, the really fun part is about to begin
That top is a stunner. I love the striations in Sinker Redwood, so much character! Can't wait to see the additional details take shape. This has been fun to watch so far, and getting more fun as it goes along and the additional pieces are added!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

What think thee AGF?? Contemplating this for some purfling?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 PM

I think it goes really really well with the rosette, but since you asked for opinions, I think it runs the risk of being a little too busy next to the beautiful striations in the sinker top. I almost think something of similar color, but very low figure may work better, but that is just one opinion.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think it goes really really well with the rosette, but since you asked for opinions, I think it runs the risk of being a little too busy next to the beautiful striations in the sinker top. I almost think something of similar color, but very low figure may work better, but that is just one opinion.
Agreed--I'd suggest something like a light maple w/ no figuring so as to maximize the contrast, both with the sinker and the AB. But again, that's just my opinion...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Ok thanks guys!

Here's two we're considering. The binding will be African Blackwwod, these are considerations for radial purfling.

The first is another shot of the Zebra, the second is Koa. Thoughts?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:42 PM

I vote koa, the color is perfect and the figure more subtle. It still provides nice contrast, but in a less busy way. My 2 cents.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop