The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 PM

Possibly the most beautiful rosette I've seen.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Thanks

I appreciate that Stephan. I'm pretty sure "woody" appreciates that as well. We sweated bullets over that design.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Possibly the most beautiful rosette I've seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I appreciate that Stephan. I'm pretty sure "woody" appreciates that as well. We sweated bullets over that design.
Stephan, yes thank you for the kind words. You could say that John has a few "extra" rosettes for future builds . All of them were absolutely beautiful, but THIS one was just the right fit for this guitar. This particular rosette gets more pretty every time I look at it. I really hate to admit that I had little to do with this one and this one was ENTIRELY John. But give credit where credit is due!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Well, here's another...uh..couple of "shots" from John. When he sent the second one to me, you might say that the proverbial "fat thumb syndrome" kicked in again and the "O" in the word "shot" was substituted with an "I" . Thank goodness I know John is a much better wood craftsman than he is at working the camera or computer lol

Here you'll see the sides together in the first shot and some Red cedar ready for the lining in the second.

Last edited by invguy921; 07-26-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:04 PM

solid linings then?

Is that your fiddle as well?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

Is that your fiddle as well?
Absolutely Tom! John told me that if I built TWO guitars, I'd get a fiddle as a bonus. John is SUCH a nice AND generous person!!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Say whaaaaat
Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Linings

Tom the linings will be solid. I laminate them up using the guitar sides as a template with packing tape on the sides to keep th linings from sticking to the sides. When set I remove the linings, shape them, sand em and then glue them to the sides. The ensemble is so stiff that from that point on I usually forget the mold. I'll take some pictures of the process and send them to woody but it's an ugly mess, lots of glue, and I don't clean up for photography, so they may not get posted.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Tom the linings will be solid. I laminate them up using the guitar sides as a template with packing tape on the sides to keep th linings from sticking to the sides. When set I remove the linings, shape them, sand em and then glue them to the sides. The ensemble is so stiff that from that point on I usually forget the mold. I'll take some pictures of the process and send them to woody but it's an ugly mess, lots of glue, and I don't clean up for photography, so they may not get posted.
Thanks John for explaining this. Regarding the pictures, in a world of "glamour shots" taken during the building process (and although those beautiful studio quality pictures are pretty cool), I'm frankly glad to know that there is plenty of sawdust in your shop. Otherwise, I might wonder if you were really building the guitar, or if it came in a box of Post Toasties lol.

Looks like this:

Last edited by invguy921; 07-30-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 PM

Thank you John.

It's looking really good.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Mike, I'm sorry to be so late to this thread...life has been very busy (good, though). However, the guitar is already gorgeous, and I love, love, love the rosette. It looks like it glows! Sinker...I really should have gone for Sinker, and while AB is different than the "typical" pairing with Macassar, you ma de a stellar choice. It should be rich, full, vibrant...everything you want in a guitar. Super happy for you and will eagerly follow along.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mike, I'm sorry to be so late to this thread...life has been very busy (good, though). However, the guitar is already gorgeous, and I love, love, love the rosette. It looks like it glows! Sinker...I really should have gone for Sinker, and while AB is different than the "typical" pairing with Macassar, you ma de a stellar choice. It should be rich, full, vibrant...everything you want in a guitar. Super happy for you and will eagerly follow along.
Thanks Mike for the always kind and generous words! I'm really getting pretty stoked about this one. I LOVE the last guitar we built which was designed more towards the "conservatively traditional" side of things. This one will have a touch more of an "edgy" feel and the rosette is where that begins.

I too really like the rosette John made. To me, the rosette is where I "start or stop" liking most guitars...it draws me in or I move on...weird huh? I guess you could say that the rosette starts the process, then the overall design, and then the all important tone is what keeps me engaged in the "love affair". This rosette almost takes on a 3D effect for me and keeps me coming back for a second look. John deserves most of the credit for this one. I recollect that when, after multiple tries to find one, he said something to the effect of "how about I make one that I would like and see how you like it?". That was the magic phrase that generated this design.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Smile Sorry to be late...

A fabulous guitar coming soon… What a fun feeling!

I spoke with Mr. Kinnaird yesterday. As I also have a fallen under the spell of Woody's former guitar. I enjoyed speaking with him very much!

I have begun the drool inducing process of coming up with my wish list. And I am pleased to have JK's help!

Everybody have a great day, and play the good ones pretty.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Here is the beginning of the rib bevel:

Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 PM

You know your guitar is going to be great when something on the inside that will never be seen looks that beautiful!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop