The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=KevWind;5559882]
Quote:
I was going to point out that in this thread age doesn't really appear to be much of a factor, at least related to the OP's theory and given the number of replies from older players that play Taylors..... But I got to thinking that there might be one age related factor but more so when combined with the chronological aspect of having had the funds to purchase a Martin prior to when Taylor became a name in the acoustic guitar market.

This is arguably true in , but also does not really appear to have much to do with age per se . There is indeed sometimes cult pressure or air of self inflicted identification especially in Bluegrass , Folk a bit less . Several times I have been to Bluegrass Jambs and noticed a bit of a haughty indignant tone or glance when I pull my 810ce out of the case. But I have to admit such juvenile attitudes are amusing especially given that it often comes from the older (my age ) attendees .
I suppose some never escape their own insecurities .

And then there is also the fact that much of the Martin D28 Bluegrass tradition stems simply from the fact that it could be heard among banjo and fiddle
Yes. I have heard of these kind of occurrences. Very silly really. A quality guitar is a quality guitar. My friend who has 4 Taylors is very talented and truth be told can play circles around me. People that behave that way are only hurting themselves.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 12-06-2017, 04:42 PM

4 Taylors and 3 Martins. It doesn't matter how old I am, a great guitar is a great guitar.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 PM

For me, the "big three" will always be Martin, Gibson, and Guild.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM

I have owned a mini from taylor and 2 000 sized guitars from Martin. I will never purchase again from these two brands. Both legendary companies with great line of products, but not for me.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum.
I was just gonna say that.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Well...I'm 66...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Well...I'm 66...
And you still haven't switched to Martin at your age? Must be in the genes.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 PM

I pull my pants up over my belly button. Does this mean I'm one of the older guys? But I also wear baseball hats backwards and like to vape. So confused!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 AM

I'm in my late thirties, which isn't that young, but I prefer the Martin sound and look to Taylor. I also like old Ovations.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM

I think one of the reasons that I'm not that into Taylors is I associate them with the 90s, and that's a period that I can't really romanticize.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I pull my pants up over my belly button. Does this mean I'm one of the older guys? But I also wear baseball hats backwards and like to vape. So confused!
You better google split personality disorder !! well or maybe just quirky or eccentric

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 AM

My guess is the guitar we pick is based on many things, and if we were honest, only a fraction of it is sound and playability.

There is an old saying that we buy based on emotions, and then we use logic to justify it.

I have no way of proving this, but I'll bet only about ten percent of the people on this forum could actually pick their guitar out in a blind "taste test." Blindfold them, have the same guitarist play a couple of things on five different (but similar) guitars, and I'll bet the guitar owner could pick his out about 20% of the time.

Playability is different of course, but many times playability comes down to what you are used to. A guy I play with has a Taylor. It was his dream guitar. He had to save up to buy and and now he can't imagine anything better. You could offer him anything, and he'd keep that Taylor. He's never played a Guild. But he's sure the Taylor is better.

So to get back to the OP, I think the segment who chooses a guitar based on what their favorite artists are playing (and there are more of those than we would like to admit) will probably choose Taylor, because that does seem to be the way it is breaking these days.

Those who choose their guitar on tradition -- or the memory of someone they know who used to play -- they probably choose Martin.

And some will never choose Martin or Taylor, because they have to buy against trend.

That being said, it is always fun for me to watch Martin and Taylor guys argue about who's brand is better. Such a relief from listening to Republicans argue with Democrats, I'll tell you.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
The whole thing is pretty simple - and has nothing to do with age. If you know tone, history, and workmanship, and you truly love America, then you will love Martin.

Else.....
Words of advice from someone with two Asian built guitars in his sig !
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM

I'm 63 and own two Taylors acoustics and two Gibson acoustics. No Martins, unless you count my antique 0-28. Just not into the Martin look. Being female, I like a little bling. I bought most of my guitars when I was just starting out on my guitar journey, and I've grown into the sound of each one nicely.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:17 PM

I'm 34 and have owned a Martin for 10 years, and just added my second. I did try the GS Mini mahogany for a time and I really respect what Taylor has done to elevate the consistent playability that has carried over to every other manufacturer.

But like mentioned, I appreciate the history and Americana aspect of Martin Guitars what the weight that their guitars have carried in the music industry. But being a fan of traditional looks, tones, and feel, Martin is my soulmate. I also play bluegrass, blues, americana, etc. I have never, and I mean never, found a Taylor that fit the tones I am looking for in my guitar. I have tried a few that came close, but just not quite there.

I was immediately drawn to Martin Guitars when I was young even though Dave Matthews played Taylor. I think it was Johnny Cash that made me start researching, and I ended up touring the factory when I was on the east coast and that was that.

When you find your soulmate, you hold onto her.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion