The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Thoughts on Radial ProDI

Hi Guys:

I'm not saavy about amplification, so would greatly appreciate your feedback on DI boxes.

I am an acoustic player looking to get a DI box to enhance my amplified tone. I just bought a Fishman Loudbox mini. I currently have passive pickups on my guitar and ukulele. They sound great plugged in, but just a tiny bit bright. Would a DI box mellow out the tone? I saw a Radial ProDI passive direct box at Guitar Center for $99. I didn't try it yet and will go back to try it later this weekend. I like that it doesn't require any power or battery.

Would it do the job? If not what would you recommend?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM

The best thing a DI can do is give you a strong, uncoloured signal.

If you want to lose a bit of treble or "mellow" your sound you are better off doing it at the amp end of the chain, or using an EQ pedal or a preamp/DI with built in EQ.

That being said, radial DIs are nice. They have a good transformer in them and give you a good strong sound without too much colouration.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

...i have one and have used it in conjunction with a modded Boss eq pedal in the past...thats with a K&K sbt....a very usable setup...its probably not gonna do what you're hoping for...i find that it adds clarity and depth when running it through a sound system...makes it more hi-fi sounding....as far as taming or mellowing out any brightness...i never found that to be the case and though its a great sounding amp i don't think a loudbox mini is gonna sound much different with a pro di in front of it...but hey...thats just one guys experience...you can always give it a go and return it if it doesn't work for you,,,,
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM

A DI alone isn't going to do much in terms of tone. Consider either an EQ pedal of some kind or a preamp/DI combo like the LR Baggs PADI or Venue.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM

As others have suggested a simple--although in this case high quality--passive DI box is not the tool you want. It's for converting a guitar pickup signal to the kind that can be sent to the mic input on a PA mixer. Your Loudbox already has the right kind of input for your instruments, and the high frequency EQ control should be able to mellow out the brightness for you.

If the EQ on the amp isn't adequate, you could try putting an EQ pedal between your instruments and the amp. A preamp with a tube or a tube emulation option can give you a mellower tone, but that starts getting more complicated than your situation perhaps warrants. Different pickups or adding a mic to the mix might give you a tone you like better, too. And then there are systems like the Fishman Aura, which can add a digital image of a mic'd guitar to the mix.

This is a deep rabbit-hole, so only dive in if you're sure you're not happy with the treble on the Loudbox shaved off a bit!

Louis
Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
As others have suggested a simple--although in this case high quality--passive DI box is not the tool you want.

[...]

This is a deep rabbit-hole, so only dive in if you're sure you're not happy with the treble on the Loudbox shaved off a bit!

Louis
Correct in several ways: A passive DI is not the tool for you here (although the Pro DI is, of course, excellent), and it is indeed a deep rabbit hole, so enter with caution.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 01-24-2017, 07:16 PM

Hi, I am afraid I may repeat on what was already said.

Your amp is designed to take on your pickup directly. Turn the Treble or High knob down a little until it sounds good to you. When you turn one of your EQ knobs down, remember you are reducing the volume for approximately one third of your signal. You should boost your overall volume a bit to compensate. If you can't get that to sound nice to you then try changing your pick or cutting your nails. Thin nails and thin picks add a harshness to the treble part of your sound. A thicker pick would bring warmth or more flesh than nails with warm your tone. The problem could be solved without adding gear. Now, that is coming from a total gear head like myself.

Then, if that doesn't solve it, your pickup/amp combination may not be preferable to you. There may be another mp that centers it's treble frequency that isn't so harsh to your ears.

Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 PM

Thanks guys! I now have a better understanding of what a DI box can and cannot do. I will try everything what all of you suggested.

All the best,
Luke
Old 01-25-2017, 08:22 PM

In addition the radial passive DIs like jdi and proDI selling point is their transformer which supposed to kill transients for that smooth sine wave signal / vintage tone. BUT only the path to the XLR goes thru the transformer. The in-out to the amp (aka thru) doesn't go to the transformer so you don't get the actual main benefit of the DI if u will just use it between ur guitar and amp.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 PM

check out the path from in - thru (amp) and in-out (PA)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Thanks Mike. Appreciate your thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification