The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Tuning

Can you ever get better at tuning if you have really bad ears? I'm one of those people who can't tell the difference between a C and an E, and it seems that while I'm able to keep my guitar in tune with itself it's never in tune with the rest of the universe. I'd be practicing out in the public when a passer-by suddenly points out, "Hey, your E is flat," or "Hey, your E is actually an F," and the only thing I could do is reply with a blank stare since my E sounds fine to me.

Beginning guitar instruction books also say something about using the piano to tune the guitar, as if it was something easy to do. If I can't always match an E of one guitar with an E of another guitar, do they think I can match an E of a piano with an E of a guitar? Seriously, though, since the obvious suggestion would be to get a tuner, I'd like a few recommendations on reliable brand names, their types, etc.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianwannabe View Post
Can you ever get better at tuning if you have really bad ears? I'm one of those people who can't tell the difference between a C and an E, and it seems that while I'm able to keep my guitar in tune with itself it's never in tune with the rest of the universe. I'd be practicing out in the public when a passer-by suddenly points out, "Hey, your E is flat," or "Hey, your E is actually an F," and the only thing I could do is reply with a blank stare since my E sounds fine to me.

Beginning guitar instruction books also say something about using the piano to tune the guitar, as if it was something easy to do. If I can't always match an E of one guitar with an E of another guitar, do they think I can match an E of a piano with an E of a guitar? Seriously, though, since the obvious suggestion would be to get a tuner, I'd like a few recommendations on reliable brand names, their types, etc.
Thanks.
You run into a lot of annoying people.
I would not worry about it. Some well know performers tune down a half step or more because it is easier to play and in some cases the guitar resonates better. You can always use a tuner those times when you need to be right at correct pitch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Can you ever get better at tuning if you have really bad ears? I'm one of those people who can't tell the difference between a C and an E, and it seems that while I'm able to keep my guitar in tune with itself it's never in tune with the rest of the universe.
If you're talking about "perfect pitch", then most of us don't have it anyway, and that really isn't a big deal. If you're referring to the inability to distinguish notes relative to each other, then you definitely need to train your ears if you can't tell the difference between two notes 4 semitones apart (C and E). It should improve with playing, and especially with transcribing. Some free ear-training software (http://www.miles.be/) might help
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you ever get better at tuning if you have really bad ears?
Hi wanna-be...
Probably. I have had students go from not being able to differentiate pitch to fine-tuning-tweakers in under a year...

and I teach them to listen for beats between strings and tune them 'away' when tuning to open octave harmonics or matching pitch with another guitarist, etc. At first they don't hear it, but before long become pros at it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM

The more I use an accurate tuner, the more my ear grows accustomed to hearing the guitar in tune. Ironically, that means that I use the accurate tuner less.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM

I think having a "good ear" is natural to some, but I definitely think it's something that can be acquired through practice and ear training.

At the same time (and I might get beat up for it here), though being "in tune" is best, I'll sometimes accept correct relative tuning in rushed times. What I mean is, I'll just take the tone of the low "E" string and tune all the rest of the strings relative to that even if my "E" is actually slightly sharp or flat.

MOST people cannot tell your guitar is out of tune if it's at least in tune relative to itself. I think the worst is when all but 1 or 2 strings are in tune...that sticks out much more than if the entire guitar were slightly sharp or flat.

This is maybe not so good if you're singing because this could drop a song out of your range, but generally to me, being slightly sharp or flat is not an issue as long as everything is "in tune" relatively.

Hope that makes sense.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." -Master Oogway (KungFu Panda)

Guitars:
Taylor 614ce ('07)
Taylor 612ce ('10)
Taylor BT3 Baby Maple ('07)
Yamaha G-235 (late '70s) Classical
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele ('11)

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM

If you can tune the guitar so that all strings are in tune relative to each other, then you have good relative pitch and that is all you need and all most of have. Perfect pitch refers to the ability to identify a note without using a reference note from, say, a tuning fork or piano. A person with that ability would be able to tune a guitar to concert pitch without having to match at least one note on the guitar to a reference note from a tuning fork or other source. If you have relative pitch, a tuner or tuning fork is all you will need to make sure your E is a true E.

This is a link to an article that explains the best way to tune a guitar and why:

http://www.ryanguitars.com/News%20an...ning_Terms.htm

Here is a link to a web page that allows you to measure your pitch perception acuity:

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/
Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
happiness

Quote:
Can you ever get better at tuning if you have really bad ears?....
Yes. I have really bad ears, and am starting to train myself, for example, to tune to drop D (tuning the bass E string down two semitones to a D) by ear, by comparing it to the note on the D string. I use a clip-on tuner to check it afterwards, but I'm getting better at it, and at tuning back up to the E afterwards. I'm also trying to train myself to pick up tunes by ear, for example when jamming with others. It doesn't come naturally to me at all, but it is beginning to come, with practice.

If you want a recommendation, I use an Intelli IMT-500 clip on tuner which is reasonably priced and I find it very easy to use.

Fliss
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Tech-TT50.../dp/B0012QB686
Old 06-28-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
If you can tune the guitar so that all strings are in tune relative to each other, then you have good relative pitch and that is all you need and all most of have. Perfect pitch refers to the ability to identify a note without using a reference note from, say, a tuning fork or piano. A person with that ability would be able to tune a guitar to concert pitch without having to match at least one note on the guitar to a reference note from a tuning fork or other source. If you have relative pitch, a tuner or tuning fork is all you will need to make sure your E is a true E.

This is a link to an article that explains the best way to tune a guitar and why:

http://www.ryanguitars.com/News%20an...ning_Terms.htm

Here is a link to a web page that allows you to measure your pitch perception acuity:

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

I clicked on and then downloaded the referenced link on tuning and then I tried it. Either I don't understand and don't do it correctly or it is impossible. Not sure which so I will explain my problem.

The Method: B) 2) D string fretted at the 12th fret - I pluck this one first and then I pluck the G string fretted at the 7th fret, but because I removed my fretting finger from from the D string to reach back to the G string the harmonic tone stops so I have nothing to compare to when I pluck the G string. It is even harder to pluck the G string fretted on the 12th fret and then pluck the E string fretted on the 3 rd fret. In both cases the first plucked strings stops ringing because you have removed your finger so how can you compare the two tones?

Back on the first page of the link, the last sentence says that you spend 7.52 years of your life tuning if you do not use this method. I have not worked it out, but, IMO, off the cuff it sounds like nonsense to me.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:53 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnra View Post
The Method: B) 2) D string fretted at the 12th fret - I pluck this one first and then I pluck the G string fretted at the 7th fret, but because I removed my fretting finger from from the D string to reach back to the G string the harmonic tone stops so I have nothing to compare to when I pluck the G string.
Quote:
Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the G (fretted at the 7th fret) to this harmonic.
Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of D, which will continue to ring even after you remove your fretting-hand finger.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/harmonics.html
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-28-2009, 06:37 AM

Ok, I just woke up if you are talking about the bell/chime like sound you get when you lightly lay your finger over the fret. I was thinking of the tone you get when you fret the note and hold it. I was unaware that you can get a harmonic sound at the 3rd fret or anywhere else except for the 5th, 7th, and 12 frets. At present I am only good enough to be able to get them on the 7th and 12 fret. Thank you. I think I need to practice and learn more.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi wanna-be...
Probably. I have had students go from not being able to differentiate pitch to fine-tuning-tweakers in under a year...

and I teach them to listen for beats between strings and tune them 'away' when tuning to open octave harmonics or matching pitch with another guitarist, etc. At first they don't hear it, but before long become pros at it.
Excellent advise, Larry !
Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Tuning the guitar is harder for beginners than playing it, in my experience. It gets better with practice, like everything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write