The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Default UltraSound AG-30 Distorted When Thicker Bass Present??

Hey all,
I got an AG-30 today. I LOVE the transparent sound but am concerned. When I put it on my amp stand, do some palm mute strumming, percussive style and turn it up over half way I get a really bad distorted sound kinda like it’s being overdriven or like the speakers blown.

I’ve turned the bass down on my RS-6 and tried reducing the bass on the amp and increasing the treble a bit and it didn’t do it as much but still did it.

I could get rid of it if I kept the volume to under half and the bass at about 10 oclock or less, but if I turn it up past half and add more than half on the bass it begins to give that distorted sound.

Is this because this amp can’t handle a ton of low end and because the speaker is an 8". Should I send it back due to a “blown” speaker.

I must add that I took the amp off of the stand and it did it less but it was still noticeable if I turned the volume up over half and had the bass knob to 11 or over.

I must also say this is only VERY noticeable when I palm mute my strumming. When I openly strum I don’t notice it as bad.

HELP, I just need some input. If I have to send it back I want to do it asap.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I tried using my Gibby J100Xtra just to be sure it wasn't because my Ren had a ton of low end. It can do it with the Gib too if pushed on the bass side.

HELP!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Determine the (i) output voltage range and (ii) output impedance (may be a range) of the signal from your guitar. Compare those to the (i) recommended input voltage range and (ii) the static input impedance of the amp's preamp.

If the comparison of voltage ranges do not match up or the input impedance of the of amp's preamp is not at least 5x the output impedance of the pickup, then you'll know you have a compatibility problem between the instrument and the amp - it may have nothing to do with the power amp and speaker.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks for the input

I actually sent it back and will either save up for a new AG50 or whatever they're called now or try to buy a used one here on the forum with my tax return.

Regardless of the guitar, it shouldn't distort or sound overdriven if you go over half. If it is because my guitars were to powerful (I could beleive that on the RS-6 but not so much on the Gibson J100Xtra with a Fishman undersaddle) and that was causing the distortion I don't want it anyway.

I want an amp that I can turn up at least to near maximum volume and get no distortion and from the reviews I've read about the UltraSounds, including the AG-30 that should've been possible.

I still think it was a blown speaker or preamp. Regardless, I have an RA and a return label on it now so back it goes!

I would still appreciate any ideas or info on this subject. Thanks again! You're all great and I am glad to be a member here!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 PM

PTony,

Did it help when you turned the notch knob to cut back some of the offending sound?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Check the shape switch...it will really crank the bass when activated and make the trip to overdrive a short one.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM

I know this is a really old post, but that's EXACTLY what happened to me when I bought a used AG-30. It couldn't take any low not open root chords. I returned it because even the Loudbox Mini with its 6" speaker had no problems. I think I'll save up for one of the AG-50's.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
I know this is a really old post, but that's EXACTLY what happened to me when I bought a used AG-30. It couldn't take any low not open root chords. I returned it because even the Loudbox Mini with its 6" speaker had no problems. I think I'll save up for one of the AG-50's.
Yep mine too. Then the speaker went. I bought my amp used so no return. I replaced the speaker with a cheaper online version which is okay but not the same. Heard it was hard to get a response out of Markley so thats why. Had it in a day from Amazon. I have a DS4 which is better anyway it does pretty well by the low notes and palm mute. Still its no Cali blonde for that style. But a superior overall amp to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification