The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Default How good is the Taylor ES2 these days?

So I'd like to buy a Taylor guitar but don't know if the ES2 is worth it. What are your guys thoughts? I'll be using it for church. Any live experiences?

Right now I have a Yamaha LL16 with a PUTW Duo Dynamic mono pick up. I'm satisfied with that pick up but I long for a Taylor. I played a custom Taylor 514e plugged in and sounded nice. Better than the old ES in my opinion but I can really hear the pick hit the strings. Is that common? Can that be fixed with adjusting the ES2 and EQing?

I've always preferred adding a pick up but am willing to try a Taylor with their ES2.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm a worship leader, and I really like the the ES2. I like it much better than previous ES versions. It definitely sounds more natural, is adjustable, and cuts through real well with full band. I used to only buy Taylors w/o the ES, and add my own pickup, but I feel completely different now with the ES2.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:45 AM

I agree with the OP when played with a pick the ES2 seems to magnify the sound. I always play with a pick so I ordered my 320 without and added my own pickup.

My BBT-e has the ES-B pickup which is the same concept and whilst it's adjustable I can't seem to EQ out the harsh noise of the pick hitting the strings.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-26-2017, 08:22 AM

I really like the ES2 in my 816...as well as do the sound guys at church. I get compliments all the time on the tone. It has taken some getting used to, however. Very different than a regular Fishman. It also feels/sounds way more sensitive than the Anthem in my other guitar. More volume, overtones and increased frequency range-all really good things. Yes, some string/pick noise as well, but all workable. I just run the dials half way up and it competes and cuts through extremely well within a full-band. I do on occasion also use a sound-hole cover which also helps a lot when I need to really turn up. Note: I also use a Para DI and top cables.

Only "complaint" is that it seems to eat batteries (9v) faster than anything I've used before. And they don't go slowly. It just quits on a dime without warning. I haven't been hosed during an actual set yet, but I find I have to really be on top of anticipating changing them out on a regular basis.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM

I own one acoustic guitar, and it's a Taylor with ES2. I will echo some of the other comments:

Sounds really nice just going through a DI into the PA. Add something like a Play Acoustic or TC Bodyrez pedal instead of the DI, and it sounds phenomenal.

I really wish there was a battery level meter. I've found myself doing preemptive battery changes before a set too.

I agree also that there seems to be a lot of pick noise. I'm experimenting with different picks and playing techniques. My Mick's Goat Whiskey Matte Black Thumbpick arrives today, so we'll see if that makes a difference. So far, though, the pick noise isn't unmanageable.

When I bought this guitar last year, having a decent sounding plugged-in sound was one of my decision factors, and I'm happy with the decision. I've gotten some comments from people at church about the nice tone of the guitar, some of them secondhand (i.e. someone told the pastor how nice it was) - I put stock in secondhand compliments, because it wasn't someone telling me "just to be nice."
Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Running my 812ce 12 fret w/ES2 through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic straight into the church PA. Possibly the best plugged in sound I've ever had.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I think the Taylor ES2 is really good and more natural-sounding than the three versions of the older magnetic-based ES1. No complaints here.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I'll give you an idea from my two Taylor's; My Mini KOA has the ES2 and the $4K Fall Limited Edition has the ES1. The Mini sounds like a toy guitar acoustically when compared to the Limited Edition. However, plugged in through the same PA, the Mini blows the Limited Away amplified. Kind of pisses me off a bit too!
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM

People have had lots of success with ES2 in church settings. I've personally enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite pickup systems. I'd put it in aftermarket, if they sold it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Running my 812ce 12 fret w/ES2 through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic straight into the church PA. Possibly the best plugged in sound I've ever had.

Ditto on the TC Play Acoustic system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This weekend I'll try out a few more Taylors to see if there is any difference with the pick noise.

Wow, some of you guys have a lot of guitars lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

I have several high end Gibsons and Martins with K&ks. They are great, and I have nice dialed in sound with a fire eye.

However, most of the time I gig with a Taylor 214CE with ES2. Its simple, works great, sounds great through either the Bose or Fish Sticks we use. It's a good guitar, comfortable, but it's strengths are the cutaway and that it sounds great plugged in.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 PM

Taylor has changed the saddle material. Has this had any effect on the ES2 or tonal characteristics?
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-27-2017, 12:16 AM

I upgraded my 2006 414ce to ES2 last year having previously upgraded to ES1.3.

The difference is day and night. Much as I kept trying I couldn't get on with the ES1, it sounds ok with basic chords etc but as soon as play anywhere up the fretboard the neck pickup dominates the sound with its electric guitar neck pup tone.

The ES2 is totally different. It actually sounds acoustic, closer than most pickups I've tried or used. Even recorded it gives a pretty decent result and generally I'm extremely happy with it. We did a show last year at the theatre where I work. My colleague, also a professional sound man, did a great job on the sound and when I looked at the eq curve on the mixer (Yamaha CL3) it was relatively flat.

I imagine with a TC body res or similar extras it would sound even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification